hello hello, going to be making the Meng Monster D9R

I have Eduard interior and exterior sets

This will be a present for my niece who works in the mines

Box just fits on my work table

XJ1ylcp.jpg

3S2XLsg.jpg

LgIqtmV.jpg

ULOxJhu.jpg

Ive started with the tracks which are a 3 part process and ok once you get going

I have read every build thread on the internet so i knew the tracks are to long, so i plan to extend the track tensioner to take up slack

more later

:ph34r:

cool subject! I've often been tempted to get one of these. Are you going to make this a civilian one then as mines don't generally need armour?

Just on the tracks, are they individually linked? If so, couldn't you save yourself the work of extending the tensioner and just not use a couple of links? I don't know how the tracks are for this kit. If not, then I'll take notes if I decide to buy one for myself :)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Rob

Si

23 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

cool subject! I've often been tempted to get one of these. Are you going to make this a civilian one then as mines don't generally need armour?

Just on the tracks, are they individually linked? If so, couldn't you save yourself the work of extending the tensioner and just not use a couple of links? I don't know how the tracks are for this kit. If not, then I'll take notes if I decide to buy one for myself :)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Rob

Si

As tom says, the tracks are too short with one less link and too long as instructions say.

This is the fix i found on the internet, which i really like because it uses the model track tensioner mechanism.

1. Cut the wheel assembly

wu2QirL.jpg

2. Drill out 8mm hole in each half, insert 8mm rod tube, I considered using 8mm stainless rod or acrylic rod, then i saw a papermate pen it measured at 8mm. So i cut a small section and glued it to a piece of Meng sprue and it was fine, so i added a section in one half

ZNuEHhB.jpg

vYr2UC6.jpg

3. Before modification with sag

wB4U1ED.jpg

4 After pushing the tensioner out

jN7xNUj.jpg

I looked at the conversion for a civilian one and decided just to do military one, my niece wont mind, I'll tell her the machine gun is for the site managers and engineers

I love this kit and the detail, i'll probably get another with slats for myself

Thanks for the reference pics Tom