positive WNW info ?

spacewolf

18 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Yeah.. I thought the two G.1 were the oddest choice especially for a large expensive kit. I personally like them but just can't see those selling well at all. We will probably never know how they decided on what subjects to cover - I guess I had always assumed since PJ funded so much of it he gave them a to-do list and maybe this was a favorite of his but who knows.....

I have no idea, but I will always regret that they didn't do the Dr.I long before they did, or at least attempted to do.

19 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Those gotta G.1's to me were the least desirable kits that WNW tooled.  Neither had the least appeal to me.  

Apparently you aren't alone.  There's no doubt Peter Jackson was into a very specific slice of WWI aviation.  Almost exclusively German and British; he loves the 2 seaters; and he loves more oddball type stuff.  

Lots of WNW kits seemingly stole sales from other WNW kits.

The G 1 is getting a lot of mentions here, and I appreciate that it had minimal actual use, but I love the oddity of it and admire WnW for making it. Might have to try and find one somewhere. Oddities just like Art House movies, however don't pay the rent!

Steve

On 6/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, cbk57 said:

Those gotta G.1's to me were the least desirable kits that WNW tooled.  Neither had the least appeal to me.  

Personally I love the fact that WNW did them because they are part of the history of WW1 aviation, and the evolution of aircraft design, and precisely because no other kit manufacturer did them, I am so glad that WNW did rather than for instance a ... Spad.... for which there are already Roden kits.

As far as sales are concerned the EWNW Gotha G1 and UWD seem to outsell CSM Nieuports on ebay manyfold if you lock at the ebay "sold" lists and I note this from Dave on the WWI Aircraft form just recently.

"With the closure of Wingnut Wings, modellers' expectations for new releases have shifted to companies such as Copper State Models, and it's fair to say some of the  expectations imposed on them are unrealistic.

There are assumptions that CSM will somehow fill the Wingnut gap with a ramped up production line of new aircraft kits every few months. The reality is different.

Unlike Wingnuts CSM does not have a multi millionaire funding the business. Edgar Liepinsh  of Copper State says kit sales fund development of new projects and at the moment WW1 armoured cars are generating more income than sales of aircraft kits.

Consequently the Hansa Brandenburg DI project is on hold, due to low sales of CSM's 1/32 scale Nieuports - both the 17 and 21-23 variants.

Edgar says the Hansa Brandenburg moulds are very expensive so Copper State is looking for a way to get some money for this project.

He notes armoured cars are doing much better for CSM, so they are trying to earn more money from armoured cars to re-invest into 1/32 scale aircraft.

Edgar assures forum members that Copper State has not abandoned the Hansa Brandenburg D.1 project, merely paused it to develop other kits to fund it, mindful that customers now expect WW1 kits to be of a particular quality.

Now for the good news- Copper State is completing its next 1/32 scale aircraft model, one not previously done, which is a  single-engine multi-purpose French two-seater. For now he is not disclosing the subject name so let the guessing begin!

And there's also another one that's been in development for a while now, which he describes as "not another boring PC-10 British aeroplane (although it has also PC-10)". No clues to its identity have been offered.

CSM will feed the armoured car market with its forthcoming Minerva armoured car ( A Belgian WW1 vehicle). An Italian Lancia armoured car is also in development and scheduled for later this year as well.

So for a small company Copper State has a full production slate but while they would like to expand their aircraft range, they can't afford to release a new 1/32 aircraft kit every six 6 months."

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australi

Edited by 19squadron

57 minutes ago, 19squadron said:

As far as sales are concerned the EWNW Gotha G1 and UWD seem to outsell CSM Nieuports on ebay manyfold if you lock at the ebay "sold" lists

It's worth factoring in that the WnW's kits are oop, which the CSM ones aren't. 

8 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

It's worth factoring in that the WnW's kits are oop, which the CSM ones aren't. 

I agree, except that I suspect the production run of Gotha' G1's etc that is not yet sold is held in storage at WNW warehouses, and therefore technically went "OOP" at the point they were announced [ with the recent somewhat surprising WNW reissue of the Fokker DVII and Clerget Camel]

However I make the point that CSM sales of Nieuports on ebay were very low by comparision to WNW Gotha G1's even before the Covid Lockdown and WNW shutdown, which makes the point that Wingnut Wings sales were NOT just driven by subject, but also by their reputation, rapidly growing towards an ever wider clientelle, as the best manufacturer of Aircraft model kits in any scale. CSM's efforts however laudable cannot begin to complete, the rib tape detail is both inaccurate and clumsy, and the engine really crude by comparison to any WNW kit.

7 hours ago, 19squadron said:

That's the oddest thing I have seen written in a long time!

Not really. The implication here is that by dumping large quantities of time, money and effort into development of huge oddball aircraft, limited resources (namely time and energy) were snatched away from other projects (the Dr.I, for instance) that would have netted larger net sales for the company.

12 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Not really. The implication here is that by dumping large quantities of time, money and effort into development of huge oddball aircraft, limited resources (namely time and energy) were snatched away from other projects (the Dr.I, for instance) that would have netted larger net sales for the company.

Exactly very odd

because what you say might well have been true were Wingnut Wings conceived or run as any other normal commercially driven company - but it wasn't, it was the personal plaything of one individual who started the company, paid it's way out of his own pocket, selected himself all the aircraft to be CAD Modled and released, and always did as he chose rather than consider any other priority, including profit.

Personally I am so glad the Gotha G1 was produced, but you have to remember this is a man who built his own flying Handley Page 0O/400 and his own Lancaster bomber as well as his own Albatros FE2, Dolphin, RE8  etc etc etc.

8 hours ago, Bradleygolding said:

The G 1 is getting a lot of mentions here, and I appreciate that it had minimal actual use, but I love the oddity of it and admire WnW for making it. Might have to try and find one somewhere. Oddities just like Art House movies, however don't pay the rent!

Steve

You can get them on SprueBrothers right this instant for list price.

Matt 

9 hours ago, 19squadron said:

Personally I love the fact that WNW did them because they are part of the history of WW1 aviation, and the evolution of aircraft design, and precisely because no other kit manufacturer did them, I am so glad that WNW did rather than for instance a ... Spad.... for which there are already Roden kits.

As far as sales are concerned the EWNW Gotha G1 and UWD seem to outsell CSM Nieuports on ebay manyfold if you lock at the ebay "sold" lists and I note this from Dave on the WWI Aircraft form just recently.

"With the closure of Wingnut Wings, modellers' expectations for new releases have shifted to companies such as Copper State Models, and it's fair to say some of the  expectations imposed on them are unrealistic.

There are assumptions that CSM will somehow fill the Wingnut gap with a ramped up production line of new aircraft kits every few months. The reality is different.

Unlike Wingnuts CSM does not have a multi millionaire funding the business. Edgar Liepinsh  of Copper State says kit sales fund development of new projects and at the moment WW1 armoured cars are generating more income than sales of aircraft kits.

Consequently the Hansa Brandenburg DI project is on hold, due to low sales of CSM's 1/32 scale Nieuports - both the 17 and 21-23 variants.

Edgar says the Hansa Brandenburg moulds are very expensive so Copper State is looking for a way to get some money for this project.

He notes armoured cars are doing much better for CSM, so they are trying to earn more money from armoured cars to re-invest into 1/32 scale aircraft.

Edgar assures forum members that Copper State has not abandoned the Hansa Brandenburg D.1 project, merely paused it to develop other kits to fund it, mindful that customers now expect WW1 kits to be of a particular quality.

Now for the good news- Copper State is completing its next 1/32 scale aircraft model, one not previously done, which is a  single-engine multi-purpose French two-seater. For now he is not disclosing the subject name so let the guessing begin!

And there's also another one that's been in development for a while now, which he describes as "not another boring PC-10 British aeroplane (although it has also PC-10)". No clues to its identity have been offered.

CSM will feed the armoured car market with its forthcoming Minerva armoured car ( A Belgian WW1 vehicle). An Italian Lancia armoured car is also in development and scheduled for later this year as well.

So for a small company Copper State has a full production slate but while they would like to expand their aircraft range, they can't afford to release a new 1/32 aircraft kit every six 6 months."

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australi

I'm curious as to why CSM in particular want to just develop 1/32 WW1 aircraft kits?

There are still plenty of opportunities in 1/32 WWII aircraft subjects to boost sales and income for these other projects if they want too.

Spreading you bets isn't a bad strategy in todays competitive market place after all said and done.

I hope they do really well with their expanding range of armoured cars as well!

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Probably because they want to.  There's dozens of companies handling WW2 planes, but one, maybe two handling WW1.

Matt 

Agreed. WNW created a high-end niche market and sold their kits for a premium price consonant with their quality. Now there's a gap as big as their customers' expectations. CSM launched the Nieuports to gain access to that market and WNW's limbo has left a void and a unique opportunity to expand. 

Surely they are aware that oop Fokker DVIIs are going for 250-400+ euros on ebay. If they can tap into that kind of fervor with new, quality kits they will be golden. 

Edited by Basta
Typos

5 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

You can get them on SprueBrothers right this instant for list price.

Matt 

Thanks Matt. I had read that the other day, but the postage from the USA to Australia is an absolute killer these days adding around $100 to the price! I will continue to monitor the situation.

Steve

On 6/18/2020 at 11:26 AM, ringleheim said:

Apparently you aren't alone.  There's no doubt Peter Jackson was into a very specific slice of WWI aviation.  Almost exclusively German and British; he loves the 2 seaters; and he loves more oddball type stuff.  

Lots of WNW kits seemingly stole sales from other WNW kits.

Wonder if Sprue Brothers got "stuck" with a good amount of them?