Tamiya 1/32 kits - working features

MikeC

I'm just coming to the end of a Tamiya P-51D build (sorry I didn't do a WIP, but I'll try to do an RFI in due course), and I wondered how other people get on with the "working" features on the 1/32 Tamiya kits in general. 

I found on the Spitfire Mk IX that I had great trouble fitting the ailerons using the prescribed method, so I simply cemented them and the other control surfaces, as I did with the P-51D.  The flaps on the latter I left working, as it made for easier handling during building and painting.  I left the cowls removable, although the fit of the bottom one was not great, and it's very difficult to get off anyway, so that's staying in place.  As I'll never change from undercarriage down to up, I've fixed all the relevant bits, as I have the radiator flaps.

My next Mustang will have the cowlings fixed as well, as to leave them off may prove challenging for painting and decalling the nose - I'm planning a 356th FG bird for that one.  That will also save time as I can do a minimal build of the engine and its bay, just enough to ensure structural integrity.

So as you may have gathered, I'm really not that interested in having "working" features which in my grumpier moments I have been known to describe as "toy-like".  But am I alone in this, in the majority, or what?  What do those of you who have built one, or are contemplating it, think?  In fact, what's your take on working features on LSPs in general?

Annnd ..... Go.

Only when it enables a number of different poses for the model. I like people to see the hard work detailing the engine. However, I can't stand loose control surfaces flapping about though, so they're glued on. The problem with plastic working parts is that they end up coming off!

Fixed mostly, except propellers which must turn, otherwise they remind me of badly built kits from my youth, and wheels if possible but not a deal-breaker. Would love to replace the plastic flattened tyres on my Tamiya Mossie for turning vinyl rubber which squish au naturel.

For that reason I bought a Tamiya Type 21 Zero to convert to a Suisen II floatplane ("look mum, no wheels") and a Hasegawa Type 52 to build with legs.

Jets; well, there isn't one that doesn't have turning vinyl rubber tyred wheels, the F-15 inlets can bow IIRC, and the F-4's all-moving stabilator does its thing. All features I like very much. On jets I'd really like more build options, especially retracted or dropped flaps the way manufacturers habitually do with airbrakes.

Tony 

11 minutes ago, Sepp said:

I'll use the provided hinges as attachments, but everything gets fixed in a set pose - yes, even the prop.

Is that to "de-toy" it so youngsters find it boring?

I like to alter a display — move the props a few degrees left or right — but it does make the more attractive to little fingers.

Tony 

I also fixed MOST of the working features on my Tamiya builds save the movable propellers.  Ailerons, flaps, cowl panels - all of them fixed on the A6M, Spitfire, and Mustang.  DOn't remember any working features on the F4U.

My least favorite working feature on a tamiya lsp was the working landing gear on the Zero.  I do not love that but worked with it.  As to the others I have managed.  I really like the removable cowlings.  I have not had a problem with those.  On the mustang the lower piece, I use a dab of lithium grease on the grommet so it can be smoothly removed.  As fat as painting the cowlings and gun bay covers.  The gun bay covers i use a couple drops of micro crystal clear just to tack them down so I can paint.  Cowling is more complicated but as it uses magnets and the spinner to lock them in place, I use those bits and tape down the spinner to hold it all together.  Then I can do my bare metal paint work.  Finally I can tape it up for anything like the blue nose and mask it all as one paint piece.  

As for control surfaces. I have managed fine assembling them but I agree with those that think they are a waste of time haveing them moveable.  The Corsair had a better solution in my opinion.  

Also I found getting the Spitifres landing gear mounted in the down position a real beast and would never want to take them out once installed personally.  

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

Is that to "de-toy" it so youngsters find it boring?

I like to alter a display — move the props a few degrees left or right — but it does make the more attractive to little fingers.

Tony 

Nope, no little fingers in my house any more.  MY "little one" is now a hulking great 6ft+ copper, lol.

I should, pehaps, temper my first post by saying that I like the surfaces to be moveable so there's a choice of pose but once the pose is struck, it stays put.  I simply don't see the point in replacable landing gear, but chacun à son goût!

Edited by Sepp

The Mustang was my least favorite of all the newer Tamiya kits.   Working landing gear....  really guys???   I eliminated all the hinges and glued everything in place, minus a single cowling part that I wanted to leave off to display the motor.   Thankfully, their later kits have moved away from these "features". 

1 hour ago, John1 said:

The Mustang was my least favorite of all the newer Tamiya kits.   Working landing gear....  really guys???   I eliminated all the hinges and glued everything in place, minus a single cowling part that I wanted to leave off to display the motor.   Thankfully, their later kits have moved away from these "features". 

I don’t remember the Mustang gear being “working”, at least not in the same sense as the A6M gear which you could actually crank the gear up and down.  I consider the Mustang gear “positionable” in that you could easily remove the gear and replace it with closed doors.  I don’t think it detracted from the accuracy, and it was likely a feature few people used anyway.