A6M2 color scheme

I've been reviewing my Trump Zero plans (I've been thinking about doing some preliminary work on it).

The color insert has a bizarre green color for the paint job that is simply wrong on a number of levels.

What's a good color to use for the early war A6Ms for that light greyish/off-white look?

Is it a case of mix-n-match, or is there an off the shelf buy that works good for this?

Thanks,

TW

Hi guys,

i have here the Tamiya Colors for their A6M5. I don´t know if that is of help for you...

Camo colors:

AS-2 Light Grey (IJN)

AS-21 (similar XF-70) Dark Green 2 (IJN)

Inside colors:

3 parts of X-13 Metallic Blue

1 part of X-25 Clear Green

Mix up this combo for some areas inside the fuselage and wheel wells. Its more blue instead of green.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Tim,

RLM 02 is supposed to be a lose match to the overall "gray" of early Zeros. Check J-Aircraft.com's FAQ pages for more info (particularly the "Zero color question (not another one!)" section of that page).

dpogson,

Gunze-Sangyo makes a version of Aotake in acrylic.

HTH,

D

D,

Thanks for the link--more than I *ever* wanted to know about the history of Zero paint schemes! <_<

Nice stuff!

TW

Okay...can of worms opened! first the IJA and the IJN (army /navy) had there own colors...thats right two differnet greys! Tamiya has XF-12 as there Navy grey and XF-14 as there army grey/ Model masters has imperial japanese army green(F) and a few others in grey but I cant read them as too much paint mess and yes theres a couple differnet ATOKE's out there but that's not the only color they used on any one aircraft also used a red primer a pale green, flat black and sometimes a sand color primer, later in the war nothing! early war birds are pretty uniformed, that web site that Dave gave is the best for this subject.

Bob.

Thanks for the help fellas,

I have been toying with the idea of finishing mine as the badly weathered A6M2b 21b with long cannons. The one the ATAIU used in RAF markings. I have a couple of b/w snaps and I thinkit looks like JNAF green oversprayed with RAF dark earth and weathered. Thats based on the brownish colour of the cockpit remnant at the IWM. It might be primer but its applied like type a or b RAF camo on the photos

Any zero experts out there?

Dave

Thanks for the help fellas,

I have been toying with the idea of finishing mine as the badly weathered A6M2b 21b with long cannons. The one the ATAIU used in RAF markings. I have a couple of b/w snaps and I thinkit looks like JNAF green oversprayed with RAF dark earth and weathered. Thats based on the brownish colour of the cockpit remnant at the IWM. It might be primer but its applied like type a or b RAF camo on the photos

Any zero experts out there?

Dave

Do you have a picture of this one? I'm going from my memory of a picture, just based on what you are describing. I keep thinking that that plane was actually an A6M3, model 22. I could be wrong, but if that is the case, you also have to deal with the engine/cowling and some other details. The cowling would be the hardest part. Like I say, I could be wrong though.

Here it is.

I would hate to even guess on the colors. One thing is for certain. The rudder and tail cones on both aircraft are a different color that that of the aft fuselage and vertical stab. The paint chipping is heavy on both aircraft and I don't have any idea when these planes were captured or when this photo was taken.

zerosscan.jpg

I think all the control surfaces are the original JN green (balance issues) but then another paler thin shade maybe Dark Earth has been brushed on. I think the prop might be black with yellow tips too.