Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

dennismcc

13 hours ago, Alex said:

That looks great.  Really liking how this is coming together.

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Fabulous, Dennis!

Kev

Thank you very much gents, it is very much appreciated, this stage has really fired up my modelling mojo and I am excited to sit at my bench again.

Cheers

Dennis

14 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This is the stage when I am impatient to see some results, so it was off with the masks, just one small paint job to do. In the begining I painted the fuselage sides white and applied the white bordered Hinomaru mask in it's entirety, so now I need to remove the red section of mask and airbrush the red, for this I take no chances and thorough mask everything off.

O0WUt7.jpg

certainly no danger of overspray there Dennis! :lol:

Joking aside, looks great!

I know what you mean about pulling the masks off - it's like Christmas morning when I was a kid lol

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while but it hasn't ended up in the bin or recycling, I'm getting to the stage were I want to start on something new so I am determined not to slack off on this one. So the next stage for me was the decals, I am not using very many on this one but most of them are tiny stencils which took a while to apply, as I do not have much luck with decals I looked around for something better that Micro Sol and Set and came up with Mr Mark Softener.

This did not seem to make much difference but eventually they were all on, however they are all white on the green parts and they really stood out, so I needed to damp them down a bit so I mixed up some thinned down Xtracolour exhaust and gave them a coating with my airbrush, this did the trick nicely.

While I had the mix in my airbrush I dirtied up the airframe a bit and added some exhaust stains, though these don't seem to show up very well.

Then I gave the topsides a coating of Xtracolor satin varnish, this was left to dry and then I assembled the undercarriage, this was a perfect fit and was easy to fit, some can be a bit fidley but this was fine.

The Hasegawa decal for the load checking label on the undercarriage leg differed from the one shown in the Aero Detail book which shows it as a red, yellow and blue striped marking, Hasegawa's has blue, red and blue stripes. I went with the Hasegawa one and made sure that it was fitted so it showed blue.

Then I stripped off the masks from the clear parts and was disappointed to see that the window aft of the cockpit had two specks of plastic stuck to it on the inside, not a lot I can do about that though.

The engine and cowling were then fitted, these also fitted well, the cowling was such a nice fit that I did not use any glue.

So this is were we are now.

nWN8rF.jpg

zqLhr4.jpg

MC7yuw.jpg

ukcozm.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

Really looking the business now Dennis!  I like the overall sheen to the paint a lot 

Thank you Brian, I'm not a fan of dead flat finishes, I like to see a mix of finishes matt and satin though I do not often get to achieve this.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

Once finished this will look spot on - hats off to a fantastic build :goodjob:

Thank you very much Lothar, I think this spell of Japanese builds has improved my modelling, it makes me want to build some more Japanese subjects.

1 hour ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Looking very good indeed, Dennis.  Glad to see you're pressing on with this.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you Michael, I have to be careful at this stage as there is a tendency to rush the final assembly and finishes.

Cheers

Dennis

Well in a fit of modelling it's finished, and I am very happy with the result, I think that the last three builds have made me learn new things and techniques.

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to comment on the build as it progressed.

Here is a taster before I place it in RFI.

rvoOfY.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc