Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

dennismcc

6 hours ago, Shiba said:

Looks great, Dennis!very nice build and coming together really nicely. 

Regards,

Matsu

Thank you Matsu, I finished the last of the pre masking paint yesterday so will leave it a couple of days to fully dry/cure before applying the last masks and starting on the upper and lower paint work.

Cheers

Dennis

And here is the final masked off look, not a pretty sight at the moment but hopefully it will all work out in the end, mind you with masks you never know until you remove the masks.

The yellow for the fuselage band is done, some parts of the wing leading edge yellow needed a touch up, that has been done.

The fabric covered ailerons and elevators have been airbrushed with Colourcoat's ACJ12 Hairyokushoku, they could have been silver dope, opinions on this do vary so I went for the one that I liked the best.

fZTQNt.jpg

u0gDeJ.jpg

The forgotten red lines marking the combat flaps on the upper wing were airbrushed ready for masking.

hNLSnn.jpg

The tail codes on the fin were were then masked off, I cut down the mask itself to aid placement, then I used Tamiya tape and the Montex diagram to get the mask in the right place on the fin and rudder.

uBTT8N.jpg

r4LnVx.jpg

ZCeYQO.jpg

I was very pleased with this but on closer inspection the mask is about a millimeter too low and worst of all I used the wrong mask, my subject is A 343-11, so I lifted the 5 and replaced it with a 1. I must have been concentrating too much on the placement and not enough on the detail !

NZgVaP.jpg

And then here is the other side which went so much better, I will have to angle the finished model in the display cabinet so the nicer side of the fin and rudder faces out.

So that's it for the moment I will leave it on the shelf for a couple of days to let the paint harden. Might start looking at the Tempest  in the mean time.

DiZ5eQ.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

It's great to see the paint go onto your Shiden Kai, Dennis!  I like the reverse process that you are using for the insignias... it'll  be quite the reveal when it comes to take off all of those masks!

Hi, Dennis I hope I'm not too late,:( 

I believe a Diagonal double yellow band behind the cockpit is 301 hikoutai (Squadron) Captain Naoshi Kanno's A 343-15 only (KIA Aug 1 1945  2week before the end of war) 

Also I find profile of A 343-11.  Sorry, not so clear

Shidennkai-3-LI.jpg

I'll look for some more detail of A 343-11 and let you know if I find.  

Regards,

Matsu.

Edited by Shiba

343-11 was a designation for two machines.
One was the N1K2-J, had a victory mark and a diagonal strip behind the cockpit, pilot Shoichi Sugita
The second was N1K5-Ja, on which Shoichi Sugita was killed during takeoff.

All info in

J2M Raiden and N1K1/2 Shiden /Shiden-kai Aces

Yasuho Izawa

with Tony Holmes

Hi Matsu and Miloslav, thank you for the information, the subject that I am aiming for is N1K2-J Shiden Kai flown by CPO Shoichi Sugita April 1945, the information comes from the Montex Mask set K32276.

aAtHHl.jpg

The only apparent difference is the position of the yellow stripe which would be fairly easy to change, will have to have a ponder

Cheers

Dennis

Hi, Dennis and Miloslav,  Sugita Shoiti  (杉田 庄一) was sharing the 343-11 with Kanno Naoshi (菅野 直) and

Matsumura Seiji (松村正二)

Here is a list of 301Hikoutai  A/C and Pilot name assign to each A/C

Shidenkai-343-kuu-PILOT-LIST-3-LI.jpg                                                     

They never designate the same number to 2 A/C,  If so it will be so confusing to pilot  ground crew and book keep.

I don't know where the Montex got the idea of these schemes from.  They are totally fictional !!

Shidenkai-Montex.jpg

Only picture proof we have shidenkai with any type of form or color of stripes on shidenkai is only this Kanno's 343-15

Shidenkai-KANNO-343-15-2.jpg 

If someone has picture proof other than this  I LOVE TO SEE IT PLEASE:)

Regards

Matsu.

Edited by Shiba

That’s a fantastic photo.  Looks like it was probably the source for Montex’s scheme for 343-15.  What’s really curious is that they omitted the big .15 in the middle of the fuselage hinomaru. Which is in itself very curious - I’ve never seen an aircraft number intentionally painted over the national insignia on a ww2 Japanese aircraft before.  But there it is.  Was this common for 301 Hikotai planes?

1 hour ago, Alex said:

That’s a fantastic photo.  Looks like it was probably the source for Montex’s scheme for 343-15.  What’s really curious is that they omitted the big .15 in the middle of the fuselage hinomaru. Which is in itself very curious - I’ve never seen an aircraft number intentionally painted over the national insignia on a ww2 Japanese aircraft before.  But there it is.  Was this common for 301 Hikotai planes?

Hi Alex according to Aero Details 26 the numbers were there for identification purposes during training but many examples were seen bearing them through to the end of the war.

The Montex masks do have the 15 in the Hinomaru, it's just a bit faint in the diagram but it is there in the masks.

I had quite a panic yesterday as I looked for my trusty Thorpe book on IJN colours to see if it could shed some light on the subject , it was not on the section of shelf that I keep all (not many) Japanese books on, I searched all day for it and could not find it, so I looked online to see if I could replace it and was shocked at the prices I saw, luckily in the end I found it sandwiched behind and between two other books.

I've checked a load of profiles of A1343-11 and a lot of them agree with the Montex version, in fact the Hasgawa instructions for the 1/48 scale kit do say that the fuselage stripe could have been before or behind the fuselage Hinomau.

However I will carry on looking, the only clue that I did find was a diagram in a book I have on Camouflage and Markings of Imperial Japanese Navy fighters in WW2, it shows three versions of the stripe, double before the Hinomaru, single before the Hinomaru and single behind the Hinomaru. It is a Japanese text book (Model Art 272) so I do not know what the description says. See below.

Dux6w6.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

So i just learned something super usefull!! 

Thank you for sharing your amazing trick of cutting the mask, getting the placement and marking it with tamiya tape. Ive struggled on many occasion to get placement correctly of masks.

This is so simple and perfect !!! I shall use this technique from now on. 

:bow:

Loving the progress amazing work