Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

dennismcc

12 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Good show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark, one of my better efforts.

12 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Excellent work Dennis!  The engine looks great!

Thank you John, can't wait to see how yours turns out, the work on it so far looks really great.

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yes indeed, that does look good

Thank you for that, as far as detailing engines is concerned I'm definately a novice, but the finished result pleased me a lot.

Cheers

Dennis

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Engine looks excellent!  I especially like the rust color you’ve got on the exhaust.

Thank you Alex, the exhaust finishing was something that I picked up on Britmodeller a few years ago.

Cheers

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Not much modelling has been going on lately but there has been some progress, I've been preparing the sub assemblies, having seen John's treatment of the undercarriage I made a special effort on mine, not in John's class but better than my usual efforts.

aMURYT.jpg

The prop blades and bits have been painted though I am not too happy with the colour of the prop blades, I will probably change it to the same paint that I used on the Hayate.

pV3qkM.jpg

The build up of parts is getting there

FtYcLq.jpg

I also masked off all the clear parts and after fitting the gun sight I attached the windscreen and aft part of the canopy to the fuselage using Formula 560.

Then the start of the paint work, using Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ20 Hinomaru red I airbrushed the upper and lower wings ready to fit the masks before completing the main colours.

c4S8pB.jpg

T6zhkm.jpg

And as you will have noticed I fitted the combat flaps in the close position.

Q670ew.jpg

In front of the windscreen is a scoop which I should have either drilled out or replaced with some plastic trunking but as I am not very confident with drilling out clear parts nor have the correct size of trunking I will leave it well alone.

Oxhm0k.jpg

I have also been checking out my metallic colours for the undersides and after some pondering will use Xtracolour RAF High Speed Silver, the last time I did an overall metal finish was many years ago on an Oscar for which I used Humbrol Metacote Matt Aluminium, which turned out fine but I prefer the Xtracolor now.

3KIMu2.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Spelling and added a photo

Interesting options for the metal undersides.  I am going to have to figure this one out when I get to my P-36.  I have mostly used Alclad in the past, and mostly on much smaller models.  Making a 1:32 fighter look good in NMF is going to be a challenge.  Looking forward to seeing how your paint turns out here.

11 hours ago, Thunnus said:

The Shiden Kai looks great, Dennis!  Looking forward to seeing the metal finish on her.  I've not decided how I'm going to treat the metal areas on mine.

Thank you John, the NMF will be interesting as it's one area that I have always shied away from maybe this will change things.

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely!  I have this kit in the stash too, and look forward to it

It's a great kit and a great subject.

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Interesting options for the metal undersides.  I am going to have to figure this one out when I get to my P-36.  I have mostly used Alclad in the past, and mostly on much smaller models.  Making a 1:32 fighter look good in NMF is going to be a challenge.  Looking forward to seeing how your paint turns out here.

Could be a disaster Alex but I will give it a go, I just used to bung some Humbrol Metalcote in the airbrush and blast away, but I just tried that and it did not work very well, so it will be another learning curve for me. Having always had motorbikes I know how grotty bare aluminium can get so getting something similar will be a challenge.

Cheers

Dennis

52 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Try the old white base with a mottled pre-shade ??

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74817-revelamiyastang/page/3/

:rolleyes:

Wow that is so impressive, what a great finish, a bit beyond my airbrushing skills though. I would have to try that out on a scrap model before trying it out on my latest pride and joy so I have bookmarked it.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow but it is happening, I am carrying on with the pre painting for the markings which will all be reverse masked, however as I don't want to risk pulling paint off I have been letting the paint cure for  couple of days.

The poor old George is looking like a paint mule now.

2rYDsx.jpg

I wanted to airbrush the yellow for the fuselage stripe but to prevent overspray onto the white I wanted to get the fuselage Hinomaru's masked off first.

Once the white was fully cured the first step in applying the mask was to use some Tamiya tape to hold the red and white fuselage Hinomuru together while I applied it to the fuselage..

A78sml.jpg

The placement of the mask was marked out with Tamiya tape and the mask fitted.

OHg1QY.jpg

the wing masks were than applied.

QmVDWz.jpg

Next up is fitting the masks over the yellow tail and airbrushing the yellow for the fuselage strip.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Spelling