Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

dennismcc

Very nice update! The wing joints look very good but that stabilizer seems to be giving most modelers some issues.  I'll have to take a closer look at that when the time comes.  It seems like it SHOULD be better since Hasegawa goes out of its way to provide that additional sleeve piece between the two tail halves to get the stabilizers at the right angle.

Just curious... Is the back of the instrument panel visible from the outside once the windshield is put into place?

5 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Very nice update! The wing joints look very good but that stabilizer seems to be giving most modelers some issues.  I'll have to take a closer look at that when the time comes.  It seems like it SHOULD be better since Hasegawa goes out of its way to provide that additional sleeve piece between the two tail halves to get the stabilizers at the right angle.

Just curious... Is the back of the instrument panel visible from the outside once the windshield is put into place?

Dennis, you’re making great progress, and I love seeing it come together!

John, I don’t recall doing anything specific about the stabilizer fit in my build, but I might have thinned the interlocking tabs to improve it. For the instrument panel gap, I can barely see anything, and I built mine without the inner pane.

Hope this helps,  Tom

17 hours ago, Alex said:

Very nice that you can install the cockpit from below after joining the fuselage halves.  That should be a rule for kit designers, at least when it comes to these low-wing monoplanes.

Hi Alex, they certainly got it right on that one, it's easier and no chance of breaking something loose when you start some rough handling while sanding fuselage joints.

5 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

A lot of epic Japanese kits being built lately.  Dennis you have started this cool movement.  All hail Dennis!,,,   

Lovely efforts going on here Mate.  

Thank you Troy, that's very nice of you, my inspiration came from other people's builds whose ideas I have shamelessly stolen for my build, LSP Typhoonattack's build in 2017 started me off, then there were other superb builds by Uncarina, Thor, Bruce Crosby,  and others too numerous to mention on this and other websites.

The main fund of knowledge for me has been Nick Millman's Aviation of Japan Blog and friendly free advice given by the man himself.

Cheers

Dennis

6 hours ago, Thunnus said:

The stabiliser was a disappointment for me as I did shave some off the stabiliser itself to make it fit but looking back I should have done a dry fit with the tail halves at the start as I think now that the problem is with the tabs.

The back of the instrument panel looks very bare and you can see the gap, but with the gunsight and armoured glass installed plus the windscreen it will not be very noticeable, however for the effort required in the early stages I should in hindsight have added some cables. The armoured glass in the second photo is only roughly perched on the gunsight.

rwaV76.jpg

umau8q.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Dennis, you’re making great progress, and I love seeing it come together!

Thank you for that Tom, this Japanese theme is really getting my modelling enthusiasm fired up, though I am still very new to the subject matter, I now have more Japanese kits in the stash than ever.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for those clarifying photos Dennis!  Maybe I'll add something to the back of the IP... maybe I won't.

I've been playing with the stabilizers and I've isolated the fit issue, on my build anyway, to the starboard stabilizer.  The base of the stabilizer is just not square.  And it is really difficult to square up because all of the tabs are in the way.

7 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks for those clarifying photos Dennis!  Maybe I'll add something to the back of the IP... maybe I won't.

I've been playing with the stabilizers and I've isolated the fit issue, on my build anyway, to the starboard stabilizer.  The base of the stabilizer is just not square.  And it is really difficult to square up because all of the tabs are in the way.

Glad to help out, will be watching the stabiliser fix with interest as I should have paid more attention to it.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, my horizontal stabs did not fit well, I also believe the tab thickness was an issue. When I build another I will try and correct it. I filled the joints with CA, but cannot seem to get a decent rescribe of the area. So now I need to look at how to replicate the stab root fairing joints! Something to watch for! 

Keep it up!

THOR    :ph34r:

Hi Thor, I've just filled the gap with Mr Surfacer and wiped it over with a cotton bud dipped in Mr Color thiner its left me with a panel line that corresponds with the tail photo's in the Aero detail book which shows similar lines, though the diagrams in the back of the book do not show them.

Cheers

Dennis

I have been working away at the engine, it will not be as nice as Thor's superb engine but I am happy with it, at first I used a mix of polished aluminium, matt aluminium and steel to give some different colours to the various components, but it looked all wrong so I reverted to Humbrol matt aluminium with a light grey crankcase (Humbrol126 satin US medium grey).

The only thing that I added was lots of fuse wire for HT leads, again painted matt aluminium, unlike the Hayate this time I cheated and drilled the crankcase to fit the wires instead of drilling the ring.

I then gave the cylinders a quick wash with very dilute satin black.

For the exhaust I used my old favourite Humbrol 113 Matt Rust, I let that dry and then rubbed it with some pencil graphite.

req3nF.jpg

mF2Ewh.jpg

CNWdO5.jpg

And in one of the builds that I studied there was a small problem fitting the engine to the fuselage so I did a test fit, I found that I did have to do a bit of sanding on the fuselage to get a good fit.

VMhToJ.jpg

Cheers

Dennis