Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

dennismcc

Looking good Dennis. Worked on mine a bit today. Dipped my canopy parts in future, and set them aside to dry. Added the last bit of filler to my wing inserts, as mine did not fit as well as yours did. Also, I noticed the maintenance window insert clear part fit was not great as well. Gonna have to fill It somehow. You seem to have had a slightly better experience with your build. Keep the updates coming!

THOR    :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Alex said:

Beautiful!  Definitely need to get a copy of that kit.

Thank you Alex, the kit definately spoils you compared to others (so far) so buy with confidence.

8 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Looking good Dennis. Worked on mine a bit today. Dipped my canopy parts in future, and set them aside to dry. Added the last bit of filler to my wing inserts, as mine did not fit as well as yours did. Also, I noticed the maintenance window insert clear part fit was not great as well. Gonna have to fill It somehow. You seem to have had a slightly better experience with your build. Keep the updates coming!

THOR    :ph34r:

Than you Thor, I will watch out for the inspection window, hopefully it will work out as I do have this habit of breaking/spoiling clear parts, so I will be careful.

Cheers

Dennis

Well still plodding along, time to look at the engine, so out with the snips and hunted out all the engine parts ready to be cleaned up.

YlX27t.jpg

All ready for paint though this will not be a masterclass in engines like Thor's which is superb, I will use it as my reference but mine will not be as grand.

yn8nGM.jpg

And the gun sight which will be kept well away until I am ready to fit the wind shield as I have a habit of breaking them off.

QaVEEZ.jpg

And onto the maintenance window on top of the fuselage, for some strange reason mine fitted that well that I left it in after the test fit and glued it from underneath, this is strange as I normally do not have any luck with clear parts but I'm not complaining.

JLjTjx.jpg

The wings and stabilisers are now fitted and they fit well apart from a slight gap on the starboard stabiliser to fuselage point which will be filled with Mr Surfacer.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

I like the looks of that 18-cyl double-row engine.  Lots of potential as a trap to sink time into!  Does it looks like there might be a reasonable path to making the cowling removable or opening some access panels?

7 hours ago, Alex said:

I like the looks of that 18-cyl double-row engine.  Lots of potential as a trap to sink time into!  Does it looks like there might be a reasonable path to making the cowling removable or opening some access panels?

Hi Alex, the thought of opening up the cowling has never crossed my mind, but looking at the kit attachment points and the cowling on the real one in the Aero Details book it should be possible for a section of cowling to be opened up for those braver than I !

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Hi Alex, the thought of opening up the cowling has never crossed my mind, but looking at the kit attachment points and the cowling on the real one in the Aero Details book it should be possible for a section of cowling to be opened up for those braver than I !

Cheers

Dennis

Only the front halves of the engine cylinders are represented though. Since the prop assembly is designed to be detachable via polycap, there is also the option of not gluing the engine cowling on.  I believe that is what Uncarina did on his build...

6 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Dennis, you are way too kind! John is correct: I just fitted the cowling. I love how your build is progressing!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you very much Tom, your build certainly influenced me.

Cheers

Dennis

Moving swiftly on here are the latest photos of the complete airframe, the wing to fuselage joints are really good maybe a smear of Mr Surface at the front but the rest are great, also requiring the same treatment is the starboard stabiliser to fuselage joint.

Before I joined up the wing and fuselage I fitted the cockpit tub, as you cannot see the attachment points I did not know how well it was affixed so I added two supports to the bottom of the tub.

VzBXwV.jpg

The stabilizer joint

v87YrE.jpg

And the wing to fuselage joins.

pMLMAJ.jpg

Ni1QI2.jpg

HxAtiV.jpg

Cheers

Dennis