Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

dennismcc

This is my latest Victim, I like to build my kits in threes following a certain theme, this time Japanese WW2 subjects so this is the last build after the Hayate and the Raiden. After building those two my meager knowledge of things Japanese has increased but not by much. Building those two has fired up my enthusiasm for WW2 Japanese subjects and in the future I will return to build more.

So on with the show, here is the kit.

W1Hbqy.jpg

And here are my reference books, though my main reference is as usual the Aviation of Japan blog. it is telling that I have more reference books on the Spitfire than I have on all of the Japanese  WW2 aircraft.

WWoxgx.jpg

LG4Ryd.jpg

After a bit of modellers block while building the Raiden I decided to start building this one in the background so it is rather more advanced than it seems.

Aftermarket is limited to RB Productions seat belts and paint masks from Maketar.

vao7Vd.jpg

LxthMh.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
spelling

Nice Dennis!

I just bought this kit and look really nice

i did have trouble finding decent pics so very interested if you can post any if you are basing yours on a particular plane etc

looking forward to the build

Nicm

19 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Nice Dennis!

I just bought this kit and look really nice

i did have trouble finding decent pics so very interested if you can post any if you are basing yours on a particular plane etc

looking forward to the build

Nicm

The kit looks typical Hasegawa, great engineering and great fit and should be a really nice build, I have not decided on an identity yet for my build but all will be revealed when I get to that stage.

18 hours ago, Rick K said:

More on the way

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Cool Dennis , will be watching   :speak_cool::popcorn:

Thank you Mike, you are more that welcome to join the experience.

Cheers

Dennis

I started as usual by colour coding the parts in the instructions, then cutting the parts from the sprues leaving a "tail" on them with the part number, this saves a lot of hassle for me. Then I mount the various parts by the "tail" using clips or in some cases Blu Tac and plastic cards ready for paint.

brokVS.jpg

Mt9Xw4.jpg

6gIUUs.jpg

For this kit I will be using pretty much the same interior paint as the Hayate and Raiden,

The cockpit parts were all airbrushed with MM1715 Interior green FS34151 using advice from Aviation of Japan.

The radio that sits behind the pilot was painted with Humbrol 105 as it looks exactly the same as the one in the Raiden and I presumed it came from the same factory.

The instructions call for some cockpit parts to be painted Extra Sea grey, but I went with Revell Anthracite.

Detail painting was done using the cockpit section of the Aero Detail book, and looking at other people's build threads which is something that I always do.

LrQWBd.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Nice work, Dennis. I do love this kit. Still waiting for the opportunity to get back to mine, but time is a commodity that I have found myself woefully short of as of late. You will probably finish yours long before I do! Keep up the good work!

THOR    :ph34r:

1 hour ago, bdthoresen said:

Nice work, Dennis. I do love this kit. Still waiting for the opportunity to get back to mine, but time is a commodity that I have found myself woefully short of as of late. You will probably finish yours long before I do! Keep up the good work!

THOR    :ph34r:

Thank you for that, knowing my glacial pace of building you may just pip me, however I have a PCM Tempest that I want to get to so this one must get finished off. It's a Shame that you are too busy to pogress yours as I was cribbing off your build !

13 minutes ago, plastickjunkie said:

Looking good. I have built several Georges in 1/48 using different weathering methods like salt and hairspray. The Aviation of Japan has some excellent info seldom seen anywhere else.

Thank you, Nick and his blog have certainly helped me no end on my foray into all things Japanese, they certainly raised my enthusiasm for the subjects that I have been building and influenced my buying preferences as well.

1 hour ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Great start Dennis!

Thank you, hopefully I can keep the momentum up.

Cheers

Dennis

Great to see you tackling this kit Dennis!  I've got it in my stash, and I'm sure that I'll find your work here just as helpful and inspirational as your Nate build has been for my current project.

10 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

That is most impressive, nice to see what it would have looked like in the air.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Great to see you tackling this kit Dennis!  I've got it in my stash, and I'm sure that I'll find your work here just as helpful and inspirational as your Nate build has been for my current project.

Hi Alex, looking at your build of the Nate you should have no problems with the Shiden, it is one of Hasegawa's finest.

4 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Nice one!  I've always liked the Shiden!  Actually, more enamoured with the older, mid-wing version but this should be a great build to watch.

Thank you, it is a most impressive subject (and kit) and I do have the Revell kit lurking in the stash waiting patiently for me to get around to it

Cheers

Dennis

Back to it, one of the jobs that is a bit fiddley and always puts me off, but needs to be done to assemble the cockpit is doing the seat harness, as usual it it a RB Productions IJN Harness. So I decided to tackle it early, despite having done the same job twice before for the Raiden and the Hayate it was still a bit "challenging" here is the full kit for doing this.

spacer.png

Did the simple ones first

spacer.png

And the finished articles

spacer.png

I like to have a positive fastening for them so drilled the seat and put in some plastic rod as anchor points.

spacer.png

But thinking about it I should have put the straps on the inside of the seat, but too late now I've already attached them, it is clearly shown that way in the Aero Detail book as well, must remember for the next build.

Cheers

Dennis