Mister surfacer grades, which is which?

LSP_K2

So far, I've seen 500, 1000 and 1200, but have no idea what the differences may be, aside from the possibility that some are thinner/thicker than the others? I tend to use 1000, which seems fairly viscous, as opposed to what I used to use (and I forgot what number that was) that was much thinner. Any advice here, fellas?

Thanks a bunch.

GSI Creos aka Mr Hobby do the full range of fillers/surface primers,

Mr Putty and Mr Putty R for big jobs 

Mr Dissolved Putty a great gap filler

Mr Surfacer 500, 1000, 1200 small work and priming as also in rattle cans

Mr Finishing Surfacer 1000, 1500 also in rattle can a various colours great for priming 

Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 grey in a can is my go to primer for all the masters we get in and it can really sort out lines on 3D stuff with a bit of practice.

All of the above shrink so pulling in to the defect so a couple of coats may be required  but if you have a bit of thinner on your applicator it smooths it of really well.

And the main feature of all the Mr S products you can wipe them off with Mr Color Thinners or Isopropyl Alcohol so no sanding, but the thicker ones will need a bit more work but if you vary the rubbing cloth it will help with some "elbow grease"

MDC were the company that brought Mr S into the UK but I have no comercial links with the product now.

It's just a great product that's why I sold it . 

If anybody needs any help with the stuff please get in touch.

Bob

I use the thicker stuff as a filler for scratch size blemishes. The thing I like about it is that it sands well. It can be built up over already applied dry coats and sanded back to fill. I love the 1200 thinned with about 50/50 leveling thinner for primer. 

I can recommend them from personal experience. I use 500 for small seam filling with a brush, and 1000 and 1200 are my favourite primers for airbrushing, thinned with nitro-cellulose thinner. They give a fine structured surface.

i am among the many that regard the 1500 grade as the best primer around

i have used rattle can and got a finish like no other, but not great for little nooks and crannies etc, and also works out expensive

I have still chosen to use it just now on the clear plastic cowling piece of my Trumpeter Jug

in the smaller 40ml jars just dilute anything from 1 to 1 up to 1 to 3 and beyond with Mr Levelling Thinner (where MLT is the 3) and you can get a finish approaching that of the rattle can but probably more nimble

i mix mine up and keep it in a jar ready as i have little appetite to keep farting around with thinners

overall MRP black and grey primers are very good, but Mr Surfacer 1500 just tops them in my view

acrylic primers don't come even close because of their lack of chemical 'bite'

Mr Surface Primer 1500 is a great primer but also removes any surface blemishes, we have a customer that supplies up with brass patterns (large scale railway) which we prime and they get chipped !! but no problem a quick flash of Mr 1500 chips gone "just like that"

Bob

I've even sprayed 500 cut 50/50 with Mr Color Self Leveling Thinner but if you spray 1000 or the 1200 you will get a beautiful base.  I use the 500, as others have said, with a brush to fill in dimples and such.

Chris