F-15C 32nd TFS AFB Soesterberg 1986

Cheetah11

During the Cold War USAAFE kept  units  in Europe for air superiority and interception of Eastern Block intruders. When the Mig 25 Foxbat was introduced by the Eastern Block , the F-4 units were promptly replaced by the F-15A and later by the F-15C. These were stationed at Bitburg and Spangdahlem in Germany and Soesterberg in the Netherlands. The 32nd TFS was the unit stationed at Soesterberg and at the time the only F-15 unit to carry a bit of nose art in the form of a Wolfhound on the left side of the cockpit. It was also the only USAAF unit to be under the control of another air force, in this case the Netherlands Air Force.

The Tamiya model was build pretty much OOB. A few small details was added in the cockpit and the fuel tank modified from a Sufa tank to give a better representation of the belly tank. The afterburner nozzles were also shortened. This kit is relatively old but is still a pleasure to build and because of its size has a great presence. A pity Tamiya has not updated this like the F-14. One sprue with modern weapons, a tank and new nozzles would fix the most  of the inaccuracies and make it easy to do a more modern Eagle. 

Here is the model( part of the Cold War Jets) group build.

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

And now off to the display case.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

How nice to see an Eagle dressed up as a 32nd bird. A little bit of additional information:

The 32nd has always been a very special USAFE unit due to the fact that it used to be fully (!!!) integrated into the Royal Netherlands Air Force Air Defense. In contrast to other USAF-units based in Europe, the 32nd carried out national (Dutch) QRA-duties during which she was under direct control of our national Command & Control station (CRC "BANDBOX"). Out of gratitude she was awarded the Royal Crest which proudly adorned her squadron-badge, carried on the left intake of the 32nd F-15's (unfortunately not seen in any of your pictures...). 

The 32nd received the Royal Crest, back in the days when they were flying the F-102 Delta Dagger. These birds soon sported a beautiful red, white & blue fin-flash which are often mistaken as the USA-colors but in fact were a "tribute" to our (Dutch) national flag. The wing-fences of the 1-0-2's were painted orange, referring to the color of our Royal family. When they received the F-4E Phantom, the red, white & blue "fin-flash" (sadly) disappeared. However, the orange "fin-flash" was retained. As seen in your pictures, the F-15's also retained this orange "fin-flash",  with the edition of a small Royal crown.

Due to her "special status" the 32nd was often referred to as "The Queen's Own" or "Her Majesty's Finest", making her the only Royal squadron in service with the USAF(E)...!!!

Kind regards,

Rudy.

P.S.:

Isn't "USAAF" an acronym for United States Army Air Force...??? If so, you surely mean USAFE (United States Air Force Europe)...     

Edited by Shujaa

Thanks for the compliments and interest gents.

10 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Great looking F-15! May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

By all means Ray, I will be honored.

15 hours ago, Shujaa said:

The 32nd has always been a very special USAFE unit due to the fact that it used to be fully (!!!) integrated into the Royal Netherlands Air Force Air Defense. In contrast to other USAF-units based in Europe, the 32nd carried out national (Dutch) QRA-duties during which she was under direct control of our national Command & Control station (CRC "BANDBOX"). Out of gratitude she was awarded the Royal Crest which proudly adorned her squadron-badge, carried on the left intake of the 32nd F-15's (unfortunately not seen in any of your pictures...). 

Hi Rudy

If you look carefully you will see the Royal Crest. It is in low-vis colors. I was very fortunate to get a good photo of the subject as there are some differences from the standard USAAF aircraft such as very little standard stencils. The F-15 seems to have been in a bit of a transition in 1986 as far as markings go. On the subject there is a mix of high-vis, reduced-vis and low-vis markings.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
Spelling

Hi Nick,

I think I've been "misunderstood" regarding my reference to the Royal Crest... This is what I was referring to...:

323squadron.svg

Depicted, a squadron-badge of a Dutch squadron (323 Sqn, Leeuwarden AB). The Royal Crest is represented by the green leaves around the squadron-badge and the Royal crown on top.

When the 32nd was "granted the Royal status", it's squadron-badge was supplemented by the same green leaves and Royal crown on top as can be seen on this picture while the bird's were still in Hi-Vis markings:

30036045222_9faf5d7ce6_b.jpg

During the later stage of their existence the bird's received Low-Vis markings, changing the full color badge into a "black outline" version (as can be seen in the last post of your WIP).

Funny fact:

While in Hi-Vis markings the 32nd F-15's sported a bright orange fin-flash at the top of their vertical tails, outlined by dark green lines at the top & bottom of the fin-flash. It also included the Royal crown. When the Low-Vis markings were introduced, the 32nd refused to give up he fin-flash as can be seen in this picture:

97caefaca267506103788f0a5da62ef4.jpg

Apparently "High Command" was not amused and the 32nd was forced to give up their bright orange fin-flash. In tradition with true Dutch stubbornness, they simply reversed the colors into a dark green fin-flash, still including the Royal Crown, with bright orange lines on the top & bottom of the fin-flash... :D 

EarlyYears_SoesterbergEagles_CR79032.jpg

Kind regards,

Rudy

*** DISCLAIMER ***

All pictures by courtesy of the internet and only included for illustration purposes.

Edited by Shujaa

hi Nick 

wow !! it's a great looking F 15 , I really like the nose art , it seems that there is no limit with the " cameo" !!! ........impressive build , I like :thumbsup:... that reminds me the first time I saw an F15 at Ramstein AB , 

Alain

Hi Rudy

4 hours ago, Shujaa said:

Hi Nick,

I think I've been "misunderstood" regarding my reference to the Royal Crest... This is what I was referring to...:

323squadron.svg

I have understood you perfectly and it is on the model. The subject in 1986 in low vis form. As you can see the Royal Crest does not stand out a lot.

F-15C-A.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

Thanks for all the interesting background. I was fortunate enough to see the Eagle in the Museum at Soesterberg and knowing the background makes it just more interesting.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

You have built a lovely model here Nick! Great subject, great stencil cutting, and all you have to do now is weather it... :lol:

I'll bring some oil paint,

Sean

Look's like we are indeed "on the same page" Nick. ;)

By the way, my sincere apologies for not complementing you on a nice build... She's looking mighty fine. Might be sweet to put a nice F-4E in 32nd livery next to her...:whistle:

Kind regards,

Rudy.

2 hours ago, Madmax said:

You have built a lovely model here Nick! Great subject, great stencil cutting, and all you have to do now is weather it... :lol:

I'll bring some oil paint,

Sean

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 hour ago, Shujaa said:

Look's like we are indeed "on the same page" Nick. ;)

By the way, my sincere apologies for not complementing you on a nice build... She's looking mighty fine. Might be sweet to put a nice F-4E in 32nd livery next to her...:whistle:

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Thanks Rudy. BTW I am planning a F-4E in the near future. Unfortunately not a Wolfhound but this one.

Reunion-Over-Hanoi.jpg

Cheers and happy modeling

Nick

• 6 months later...