pre order viggen is a go

mark31

As was pointed out in the discussion earlier, a pre-order without any payment is different than actually plunking down cash, but in this case with a pre-order price established at least people know what they are getting into.

4 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Does anyone else think this is still kind of fishy?  If the kit really is 3D printed, why put a limit on how many you sell?  Even if it's 3D printed and then molded in resin, why shoot yourself in the foot?  

I think it’s been proven from the Skystreak release that it ISN’T entirely 3D printed.  The large parts (fuselage, wings, tail, etc.) are resin.  A number of resin kits are released in limited production numbers, so that doesn’t seem fishy to me.  It might just be that they didn’t want to keep making new molds to replace worn out ones, or want to keep some exclusivity to their releases.

Don't see what the issue is.  No one has been asked for any money, so no one has lost anything.

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

If everyone is sensible and buys through PayPal or uses a credit card, they’ll be protected against it being a scam. 
No real loss apart from not having the kit materialise. 

100% agreed. I've turned in two PP cases in my time since getting my PP account, won both and got every single penny back in both cases.

As long as they let me pay by PP, I have nothing to loose if I somehow pay and a kit never materializes.

I don't see anything fishy about a business model where they limit the production run.  Maybe they think that 500 copies world wide is what the market for an expensive resin kit will support?  They include decals in their kits - if the next step up from printing 500 sheets is 1000, and they don't  think they will sell that many kits, then that is money down the drain.  Also, making it clear that the kit is limited production may trigger people with an interest to (pre)order/reserve the kit "now" rather than sit and wait.  Granted, they don't have to invest in steel tooling, but they still need to make mould tools for the resin castings, and get boxes and foam inlays and instructions printed (plus the decals), and having all that done up front means they need to target a number.  It wouldn't make sense to put all that in swing for just one more copy, even if the detail parts can be 3D printed on demand.

13 minutes ago, jenshb said:

I don't see anything fishy about a business model where they limit the production run.  Maybe they think that 500 copies world wide is what the market for an expensive resin kit will support?  They include decals in their kits - if the next step up from printing 500 sheets is 1000, and they don't  think they will sell that many kits, then that is money down the drain.

Likewise printed boxes, packaging and so on. Plus rubber moulds for resin have a limited life

Richard

I think limiting a production run does give some exclusiveness to any product.

Even the 'big boys' are doing limited run IM kits these days!

I believe that the new Infinity Models are limiting the first production runs to a 1000 kits as well, so not uncommon in these cautious times.

Let's see what happens and maybe we should wish them luck in this new venture too! :)

Limiting the production run may well have nothing to do with decals, packaging, etc.. and simply exclusivity. There is a large scale figure producer known as Filmy's girls that produce very sought after  figure kits, but they are always done in limited numbers even though they have the masters to make more.  Its simply their business model to do a run and that's it. People snatch up their figures VERY quickly and they rarely do second runs.You snooze you lose.