Any Revell 1/32 Me 262 resin detail set available?

VintageEagle

Hello,

My next project will be a Revell 1/32 Me 262 A. I have tried to find a decent resin detail set for the cockpit, but couldn't. Only Eduard's PE detail sets. For the instrument panel, seat, etc. I prefer resin.

The Me 262 is quite a popular aircraft. Why has no after-market brand produced a decent detail set (yet)? Or does anybody know of one that is available or will hit the market soon?

Thanks,

Roger

Edited by VintageEagle

Are you asking about the original issue kit, or the "new tool" one from Revell of Germany? I may be be mistaken, but I thought the new tool was actually a re-box of the Hasegawa kit, so maybe aftermarket bits for that one would fit it? 

I am not aware of any good resin cockpit sets for the old Revell kit.

I am asking about the new tool kit. It is not a re-box of the Hasegawa one, but a completely new one. The first one was the nightfighter (B), last year the fighter/fighter-bomber versions were added. 

The Eduard instrument panel is too flat (as it is a PE panel) and the instrument configuration is incorrect (both A and B versions). It seems the best way is to build the panel from scratch or improving the kit panel / cockpit. I wonder why companies like Aires (do they still exist?) or also Eduard did not produce a resin detail set. Maybe the margin for those are smaller than for PE parts.

1 hour ago, BiggTim said:

Are you asking about the original issue kit, or the "new tool" one from Revell of Germany? I may be be mistaken, but I thought the new tool was actually a re-box of the Hasegawa kit, so maybe aftermarket bits for that one would fit it? 

I am not aware of any good resin cockpit sets for the old Revell kit.

The new-tool Revell kit was developed with the assistance of Radu.

19 hours ago, Thunnus said:

There is an Aires 1/32 resin cockpit and wheel bay set for the Trumpeter 262 kit.  I used it for my Trumpeter 262 build.

IMG_2109.jpg

I don't know if it could be adapted to work with the Revell kit.

Thanks John. I now remember this set from years ago when I started the Trumpeter Me 262 (never finished it). At least some parts of it could be used for upgrading the Revell kit. Will check if it is still available.

19 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Eduard also offers the instrument panel in LooK edition,prepainted , with realistic depth to it.

edu634015__23494.1575920496.jpg?c=2&imby

That looks not bad. Have not yet seen any photos of the actual parts. I would probably repaint them to ensure the same grey on all cockpit parts. The cabin pressure gauge was never installed (except prototypes) and the engine instrument layout are for an early production Me 262. After simplification efforts at the end of 1944 the difference pressure gauges and oil pressure gauges were no longer installed. The red/white coloring of the instrument rings were only done in this way by JG 7 (I have copies of wartime documents that confirm this). The round counters and indicators underneath were only installed in early production aircraft. 

With their Löök series of panels I have to say Eduard got their colour matching a lot better. By the time you add a bit of weathering and matt coats it all looks quite good. Much better than the etch stuff. Yahu are also very nice and often come with holes pre drilled for you to add switched and knobs, which is great as I lost many a drill bit to attempting that with Eduard panels. The only thing with the Löök panels is that the dial details are fairly generic for the most part, not the specific dial type, just a series of dashes circles and lines that don’t really represent anything. Buuuuuut I am lazy so I use them where available, Löök and Yahu both. 

So here's my pet gripe at the moment. I spend on AMS thinking it will look better than the kit parts. In many cases, the quality is better and there is more detail. Little of which can be seen, especially when the cockpit is closed up or the plane is sitting on its wheels so the wheel bays are facing the ground. 

I am tending to build more OOB and scratch build extra details, if I want to. I find it more rewarding and cheaper.

In the case of the Revell 262, I say "forget the aftermarket" and have fun with what Revell gave you.

Other people may have a different opinion.