The antique BoB Revell Spitfire Mk.I

As I was looking at the internal components, I identified the last remaining items to build in the cockpit.

I built the Barracuda control column. It is very fine but adding the two hoses on the column is very far from easy. I could drill the 0.80 holes in the upper bar but it is not possible doing it for the lower one as it is far too small! So, I just put the wire along it. I finally replaced the wire with some very fine lead wire. I'm not 100% satisfied but this is acceptable. The stupid part is the fact I had already modified the Aires control column part. this was not easy either as I had to remove the central hose that was present on later Spitfires but I was not fully satisfied! I will finally use the Barracuda one.

jlBGqyV.jpg

I also added the straps on the pedals. Late Mk.Is had not anymore the simple but rather the double levels pedals. The Aires set has photoetched ones but they are noticeably too thin. Obviously, I only realized it AFTER having assembled them. So, finally, I used leftover ones from a recent Revell Mk.II kit. They are not fully accurate as the sides should be longer over the upper bar. To compensate somewhat, I lengthened the section of aluminium foil I used to depict the fabric belts added on the top. Considering the location of the pedals, this trick will not be visible.

The list of internal components to end is decreasing! Out of my memory, I still need to have a look at the seat, the mast support structure, the voltage regulator, the IP and the canopy opening emergency system.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:45 PM, thierry laurent said:

Hi guys,

Some weeks ago, when I added the fuselage internal structure, I realized that some glue marks were visible on the fuselage (where I glued the plastic strips simulating the fuselage stringers). I initially considered using one of my fine glass fiber sanding pens to correct that but it cannot goes into tight corners. However, I found this Chinese tool as I was looking for something else. I ordered it, got it this week and tested it:

OfQFZ8d.jpg

It really looks like a pen but rather than lead, it is using a cylinder-shaped fine stone! So, you can use it to sand in very intricate locations. It can also scratch the surface if you are not very cautious (as the enlarged picture shows it) but this is really a nice tool for some very specific clean-up works. Highly recommended!

rfCfObX.jpg

I also removed the wrongly located pierced strip out of the resin bulkhead as it was finally quite difficult to modify it. It will be easier and more accurate to add a new one behind the bulkhead. BTW, I've to re-glue the top of the bulkhead.

cZ9x7va.jpg

I also started solving the wheel well problem. I will post pictures showing that soon.

Excellent work, Thierry! Where did you order the pen? I did a quick search but couldn't find it - I'd be very interested in getting one of these. 

Best regards

Ben

Hi Ben, 

Happy you found it. I got mine from Aliexpress. I ordered a larger one two weeks ago (1mm diameter). They are also producing even larger ones (e.g. 2mm) but as we are arriving at the same size than the smallest fiber glass pens, they are less attractive. 

I have ordered a 0,32mm one in the UK. Probably too expensive but I was too lazy for an long search. Looking forward to receiving it. I have an arsenal of glass fibre pens since quite some time and I was not sure if a 0,5mm one is really needed as the difference between 0,3 and 0,5mm seems rather small. 

You are fully right. The difference between 0.3 and 0.5mm is marginal. This is why I ordered a 0.3mm pen and later a 1 mm one. Then we can use 2 and 5mm fiber glass pens. I will send you the Chinese seller address when I will have access to my laptop. No doubt this will be cheaper for the spare parts and the delivery is reasonably quick as Ali parcels are arriving close to us (Bierset). Moreover, hopefully, such small tools do not seem to generate any customs interest! 

Hi guys,

We will now have a look at the seat. The early Spitfires had metal seats. Greymatter produces that variant but it is far less refined that the Barracuda one. The main visible difference between the variants was the seat pan recessed shape. The later, composite seats had a lozenge-shaped recess whereas the initial metal ones had a half-cylinder-shaped recessed area.

I have a least two Greymatter seats but could not stop thinking of using the Barracuda option. This meant modifying and possibly damaging definitely the resin seat. Finally, I decided to have a go! I used a Trumpeter scraper and slowly but surely removed thin slices of resin to recreate the half-cylinder shaped recess. This is not for the faint-at heart but if you work very slowly, it is possible to get a quite good result!

Dtc3Y42.jpg

I'm quite satisfied and have now to consider the seat armor, belts and fixtures!

Another problem is solved!

Hi,

As I was going through the list of internal components to end, I went back to the voltage regulator. The initial Spitfires  (e.g. the 19 squadron ones) had no visible one. Then, during the Mk.I production run, a dome-shaped cylinder voltage regulator appeared behind the head rest. Obviously, I realized I had one in my spare box AFTER having scratchbuilt a new one! Fortunately, it looks the one coming from the Brassin Mk.II cockpit set is a little bit underscaled. Moreover, I included the connection bar with the electrical cabling on the one I made.

OD104ow.jpg

As I already mentioned in a thread in the Aviation discussion forum, the cabling used by such voltage regulators was divided in two. The majority of the wires were running on the rear of the station 11 bulkhead port side but a minority (2) were going to a hole in the starboard side of the rear of the bulkhead. This changed when the next one (the most common type made of two smaller cylinders) appeared as all the cables were going down on the port side.

I still have to drill the aforementioned hole but the voltage regulator is now ended and I also recreated its support plate.

pWmxozr.jpg

This is a major item to add on such BoB Spitfires as it is quite visible under the rear canopy.

Another major problem is solved! Now, I have to go back to the seat components!

Hi guys,

If you're remembering, I made some weeks ago the drilled strip parts intended to build the structure supporting the radio antenna mast. I hesitated a little bit regarding the process to build it but I took some additional measures with callipers to double check and started. After close to two hours of work, I had built the cross-shaped structure! This was time-consuming to get something that is reasonably straigth and correctly adapted to the fuselage halves. The stupid part is the fact I also struggled to find where I had the relevant pictures! Finally, I remembered the WWP photobook dedicated to the Mk.IX was giving some pictures taken from quite unorthodox angles. This is exactly what I needed even if the Mk.IX structure is a little bit different (the "X" is not closed towards the end of the fuselage whereas it was on the earlier marks).

Nw8FdxP.jpg

I still need to add the lower section of the mast as well as the part securing the end wires of the Sutton upper belts. However, this will be quite easy as the structure is now built.

I'm happy to say the most complex part of another element can again be removed from the list!