The antique BoB Revell Spitfire Mk.I

Thanks Ernest,

Quite often the problem is not the scratchbuilding process itself but the preparation work: How to replicate a system? Using which material or combination of materials? How to divide it into different shapes easier to scratchbuild? How designing the parts to be able to paint them? etc. etc.

To me, these are the actual scratchbuilding challenges!

As I was trying to know how look like the wing heating outlets, I made the half-cone-shaped covers. I considered different approaches and finally used small sections of plastic tubes. When they were cut and I had obtained satisfying shapes, I glued each part on a thin sheet of plastic (coming from my famous Strawberry blue tray!). Then, I added the rivet lines and finally cut the parts out of the sheet. Last, I used a round file to open the bottom in the sheet and sanded the edges with fine sandpaper.

Hr4nG4s.jpg

Another problem is close to be solved.

Jeez, I never thought I would have to scratchbuild so many parts on a 'simple' Spitfire!

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Thanks Ernest,

Quite often the problem is not the scratchbuilding process itself but the preparation work: How to replicate a system? Using which material or combination of materials? How to divide it into different shapes easier to scratchbuild? How designing the parts to be able to paint them? etc. etc.

How do you hold the damn thing while you are shaping it!

Richard

17 minutes ago, RLWP said:

How do you hold the damn thing while you are shaping it!

Richard

Indeed! This is not easy. As much as I can, I'm avoiding tweezers to do it.

And when I'm using tweezers, I'm quite often putting making tape on the ends to have a better grip and avoid the flying part syndrom! Not perfect but that works!

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Thanks Ernest,

You are spot on Thierry,  The simple little additions to the PCM MkI Hurricane that I did took a lot of thought, and looking through my spare bin/AM stuff, to come up with things that would look fairly close to accurate.  The actual assembly was quite simple in comparison.

Enjoying this build with great interest, Thierry, as the Battle of Britain Mk. 1 spitfire is my favourite version. You probably know, but Fundekals do a sheet for the particular aircraft ( DW . K or DW ; Q ). I'm not sure of the scale, but you can download the instruction sheets from their website, and they have excellent info on the roundels, lettering and camouflage, which you might find of interest. HTH. :thumbsup:

It is quite 'funny' I'm only discovering now I had forgotten a quite noticeable internal element! A second look at the wing heating system TM view clearly shows a duct should run on the lower fuselage behind the cockpit! Another thing to scratchbuild and add! <_<

And I also found another missing item... :( Each face of the radiator should have reinforced corners at the top. So, I also need to make 4 identical small L-shaped parts!

I'm wondering if I should not stop looking at reference pictures as I do not stop findings things to add... :BANGHEAD2:

Hi guys, 

I analyzed more closely the location of the heating duct and if the TM view is correct it looks it was running on the fuselage floor between the frames 10 and 11. To be 100% sure, someone should have a look under the seat! However,  as there is no other major component under the seat, this is quite probable. As this duct will be hidden by this quite obvious item I will not lose my time with that. To me this one is now closed!