The antique BoB Revell Spitfire Mk.I

Hi Pete,

No problem with the upper wing as the plastic of that kit was quite thin for the era. With regard to that aspect, the more recent Revell kit has comparable parts. So what is working for the new one is Ok for the old one! Obviously, you have to remove all the molded strengtheners and other small components intended to secure the moving landing gear leg.

Hth

Thierry

It is not that easy to keep track of all the small changes when I'm working on the kit. I realized I forgot mentioning that small landing gear bay perimeter correction!

Before:

M1Yd6L9.jpg

After:

zXk4wMk.jpg

The first picture also shows the two drain holes I have added.

Not a lot of time to work on the kit yesterday.

I added the missing brake line on the LG legs:

1raC37h.jpg

And here's the plastic plate I mentioned yesterday. I forgot posting that picture earlier. This also showed that, as I mentioned earlier, all the elements intended to secure the LG legs have been removed to be able to position correctly the resin LG wells.

5WaHgMp.jpg

This closed the jack point holes and will be right against the false floor of the cockpit to give rigidity to the fuselage/wing assembly:

e9zbf2G.jpg

As you can see I also started working on the radiator... but this will be for a next episode as some elements have yet to be recreated.

Very nice work so far Thierry.

Regarding the drawings, I have Paul Monforton's book which is great for later types.

But is there any empirical dimensional data or even just the diameter of the spinner back plate available for the Mk I that you know of?

Alas no.

It is a pity we do not have the equivalent of Monforton drawings for the short Merlin Spitfire types. Note the Cox drawings I linked here are considered to be quite accurate regarding the shapes and dimensions. It is rather the details that are not necessarily OK (e.g.power plug door in the wing fairing but no wing heating exhausts covers).

No upper wing stiffeners initially on Mk !'s, but they may have been fitted later on surviving aircraft. I haven't seen any photos of Mk I's with these but they were fitted later to Mk II's so I would presume Mk I's would have got the same update. This may have led to their presence on the drawings (?)