IFA shut down

viper

I really found the whole IFA project slightly puzzling. 

The kits seemed like the military equivalent of travel agents' airliner models, where having something large to catch the eye was the key goal. I can understand the "wow" factor, but to me the reason for bigger is for more detail and finesse. Maybe I'm not a sufficiently good craftsman to do these kind of models the justice they deserve, so don't understand them.

I wish Alan well as it sounds like the whole IFA thing was starting to consume him. 

Tony

Edited by Tony T
edit

My only experience of IFA is the Buccaneer kit and to me it's a very fine effort, given the limitations of resin moulding.

The shapes are mostly very good, the detail provided is largely accurate and easily enhanced and care has been taken to use the resin best suited for different purposes (e.g. the undercarriage uses a stronger resin). I was particularly impressed with the revised intakes, which closely replicate what I was planning to do myself anyway.

I'm looking forward to cracking on with it when I've organised my workspace to accommodate it.

I'm also hoping that Alan's upcoming big Spey Phantom is released in a shorter time frame than the HKM kit.

Although I'll still want at least three HKMs providing they're reasonably accurate.

I'm in the same position as Chek,  the Buccaneer is pretty accurate , if a little crude in places , but buildable , even by someone who's never tackled something like this before! Alan did say that the basics of the Buc kit had been around for something like 20 years , and it was only recently that he added the missing pieces to the fuselage ,(wings!)  to make it a viable model and what came out wa something like a resin Vac form if that makes sense . 

I was looking through my copy of  "Last of the Phantoms" last night , and there is a pic of a 19SQ  FRG2 being prepped fro a sortie  while based at Valley  , and there's something  about the Green/Grey camo'ed Brit Phanto that calls out to me  on some very direct level, and I was so looking forward to Alan's take on FGR2 , and hopefully we will see one some day either rom HKM or IFA , who ever it is, bring me the kit and I'll buy it , its relly that simple!

• 4 months later...