P-38, backdate canopy

bobster

I have been working on backdate of Trumpy P-38 L to a P-38 G. The front canopy wind screen is rounded on the early version G, and the kit supplied front canopy is flat.  Will either need to modify and polish the L front wind screen (doable if enough plastic is there?), or an aftermarket canopy will need to be found. I am certain this problem has been faced before. Has any one successfully modified kit part, or am I stuck finding aftermarket part. Thanks for help...Bob.

Thanks for response. I have already installed all of the resin parts provided by Grey Matter for the conversion, and have three more GM resin backdate kits including props, but no vac canopies to be found. Is the canopy available separately?

That's odd, as the canopy should have been included in the sets. It was in mine. In fact, they have been known to include two copies of it in the sets. Did you buy them directly from GMF?

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

My GMF set also had no canopies. I have tried repeatedly over the years to get in touch with them to try to purchase a replacement but I have never been able to get a response so I just assumed they were no longer available (I have even messaged their ebay auction/account to no avail)

Tim used to be on LSP sometimes, user id "mouldman", but he hasn't been on for some time, and does not respond to my PMs. And like Petrov said, so response through ebay either. I guess you could try the old fashioned way and use the telephone number on their website.

If the canopies are no longer available from them, I'd be willing to use mine to make a master and pull a few vac copies, but not at a profit, and only if GMF is not willing to do it. I do not wish to step on anyone's toes in that area.

Tim

Thank you all for replies. Last evening I went through resin parts I have. Some of my stash is indeed second hand, without canopy. When I looked in the one set I purchased from GM, I found a single front canopy! Until so kindly mentioned here by D Bellis,  I did not know one was included, as it is not seen in photo of contents. So this project has moved forward. Would be interested in 3 more canopies for future projects, if some will be available...thanks again...Bob.

Hello, 

I have just recently bought the P 38 Grey Matters backdated resin set, and can confirm it comes with 2 of the front windscreen part of the Canopy, but does NOT come with two complete vacform cockpit canopies.  I have searched at length, but cannot find anyone selling a 1/32 P38 vacform canopy. If anyone knows of one that's available, please let me know who is selling it!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

I would be prepared to try and assist with making up a canopy set if I know exactly what you want, so do let me know.

i will also need on loan ONLY, the following, cockpit surround, I.e fuselage (so I can make it fit) the original canopy parts, and any comings or any other parts that need to fit within the canopy area.

Please PM me any details and then if somebody is willing to send me the relevant parts, on a return basis. I live in Scotland so UK based may be preferable, but not essential. Also remember this will take time, and not an instant solution.

i will make new masters and then cast in clear resin.

cheers Ali

7 hours ago, Ali62 said:

I would be prepared to try and assist with making up a canopy set if I know exactly what you want, so do let me know.

i will also need on loan ONLY, the following, cockpit surround, I.e fuselage (so I can make it fit) the original canopy parts, and any comings or any other parts that need to fit within the canopy area.

Please PM me any details and then if somebody is willing to send me the relevant parts, on a return basis. I live in Scotland so UK based may be preferable, but not essential. Also remember this will take time, and not an instant solution.

i will make new masters and then cast in clear resin.

cheers Ali

A clear resin canopy would really be nice. I actually have a clear resin front windscreen from the old Cutting Edge backdate set, and it's quite nice. I like the scale thickness of vac parts, though, and the relative ease of vaccing them.

I would definitely be on board for a couple early windscreen/canopy (I have also the Cutting Edge conversion and it was ALSO missing the &^%#$#@ clear part) and would even be willing to ship over the Trumpeter fuselage parts but I am not sure there would really be that much demand for this to make it worth your while? 

35 minutes ago, petrov27 said:

I would definitely be on board for a couple early windscreen/canopy (I have also the Cutting Edge conversion and it was ALSO missing the &^%#$#@ clear part) and would even be willing to ship over the Trumpeter fuselage parts but I am not sure there would really be that much demand for this to make it worth your while? 

Thanks for that, ok let us see what happens, it looks a if there are some guys with the vacform canopies, and I do not want to get involved if Grey Matters are still supplying the required parts with their sets. I am here if any of you need me to do a screen or canopy set.

cheers Ali