How do you like your Vulcan? vertical or inverted

I had my photo taken in front of 607 in 83 at a cadet camp at RAF Waddington. I was also stationed at Waddington in 92 and it used to stop traffic when it was taking off. I feel very privileged to have experienced it closer than most. You just don’t get bored of it.

I have read that at the upper level this could/would out turn interceptors.

6 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Love it!!  I remember that noise as they used to fly over my house in Bristol when I was 5.  Filton was only five miles away, so they'd come over using climb power, making that howl.

Cheers,

Michael

Still here, near Parkway Railway Station!!  It is sooooooo quiet now the field is closed. Although a lot of C17s, A400M, Chinooks, Pumas, over the last few weeks on Covid missions.

I lived on the Vulcan bases at Finningley and Waddington until I was 10 years old including the Cuba crisis period (when ironically some of the squadrons were dispersed away) and got somewhat used to seeing take offs, landings and 4-ship scrambles almost daily as our flat was right across the road from the west side perimeter track. Last time I visited was in 1983 and there were still quite a few Vulcans parked on the dispersals opposite along the Sleaford Rd. but it was a Sunday and the base itself was quiet.

The best take off I ever saw was in the barely moving single file car queue to the gate at Mildenhall in 1988 when the display Vulcan did that hi-speed run and pull up to vertical right in front of and almost over us. Ear shattering!

It's still amazing to see how this aircraft handled, great video, thanks for sharing.

And it actually had some "stealthy" characteristics; i remember having quite some difficulties locking on the (at that time analog) radar return sometimes.

When in the airforce we used CPN4/MPN11 radar units (1970's), which comprised search radar and final (talkdown) radar, and especially the latter had this problem with aircraft like the Vulcan, you had to lock the system onto the radar return in order to be able to give correct azimuth and glidepath information, but despite the enormous aircraft it often was difficult to see a proper radar return, but once locked it was no problem anymore.

Jack

So my understanding of this is that it's not actually inverted... sadly. it's a bit of a play on angles from the camera, I'm not sure they were actually allowed to roll it completely over post-refurb? (Almost definitely not in 2015 as I think that was after their last spare engines were destroyed, so they were reducing the show dynamics down to try and lengthen her flight-hours a bit), they could run her up enough for the lovely howls, but not full power (full power hurts).

Still, it's damn impressive to see, and she looks inverted enough to me lol. Such a showstopper that girl. Spent a lot of time following the old girl around, and visiting the guys who were sorting her out and such. Hailing from Lincolnshire, hearing her howls at Waddington so often I guess I kind of became almost a little used to it. Though I miss her now :(
The year she did a high-power-howly take off in the rain at Waddington is something I'll take to my grave, truly stunning and that noise... haunting, and amazing.

Edited by Subodai