PCM Hawker Hurricane MK.1

Mr Creosote

• 3 weeks later...

vhyxr4.jpg

So. Picking up on this project I re-did the Sutton Harness in order to make it a bit more accurate. The windscreen has been added and faired in. The framing on the inside of the windscreen was masked and painted prior to fitting.

darrMP.jpg

Another view. Not the greatest pictures but I think you'll the general idea.

y0QeHx.jpg

QEnHdD.jpg

The tail planes have been added. They are held firmly on by use of brass tubing "spars" with matching holes drilled through the tail planes. There were gaps between them and fuselage. These were not too bad and easily filled and finished.

UzP5fi.jpg  

H3sbuB.jpg

r00SHh.jpg

The wing prior to mounting.  Black sprayed in the center section to block visibility into the lower section of the cockpit.  The black on the landing light sections as a check on landing light cover fill and fit. 

I am coming in to the short rows as far as assembly is concerned and then its on to paint.

Thanks for taking a look.

RD 

On 12/21/2020 at 4:48 PM, monthebiff said:

Nice work indeed, our of interest how is the fit of your wing assembly when married to the fuselage at this stage, very interested tongue!

Regards. Andy 

The fit of the wing to the fuselage is better than I expected it to be. For me to get the best fit took some dry fitting and minor trimming. All of this work was done at the front and rear joins of the wing center section. It was no big task and is sort of to be expected of a short run kit. The center section area was the first area glued up. CA was used as an adhesive. At that point the wing roots themselves had large[ish] gaps with the widest being about a 1/16th".  I checked the alignment at this point and decided the wing did not have proper dihedral.  Granted Hurricanes don't have much dihedral they do have some. To correct that I applied a good amount of CA into the gaps and held the wing to the wing root until the CA set up sufficiently to hold the gap closed.  Excess CA that squeezed out of the join was wiped away with a Q-Tip/cotton bud before it set up.  This was done one wing at a time. 

So in short the wing roots at this point will only require a bit of attention to get them sorted. 

Thanks.

RD 

13 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looks like you've killed two birds with one stone there. I remember thinking that the wings looked a little flat when I taped mine together when I first got the kit.

Merry Christmas.

John

John,

I think that's right. My reference is Aerodata International "Fighters Of World War II Vol 1 " published in 1980. The Hurricane drawings show the top, span-wise datum line, of the wing panels being flat, with the bottom, span-wise datum line, of the wing tapering up,3 1/2 degrees to the tip. At any rate it looks right to me.

Merry Christmas.

Richard       

Edited by Mr Creosote

Hey Richard, I'll be draggin' this kit down from the SOD as soon as I finish my 109D.

When I started mine loooong ago I did a drawing re the dihedral (or lack of) for the

Hurricane. Hope it helps.

pDYtn1V.jpg

The 2 red lines are flat and 90 degrees off the vertical centerline. There's no dihedral

until past the landing gear. Looking good so far .

p.s. only the red lines are mine, I didn't draw the Hurricane.

:rolleyes:

Edited by MikeMaben

22 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Richard, I'll be draggin' this kit down from the SOD as soon as I finish my 109D.

When I started mine loooong ago I did a drawing re the dihedral (or lack of) for the

pDYtn1V.jpg

The 2 red lines are flat and 90 degrees off the vertical centerline. There's no dihedral

Thanks Mike. That's what I achieved or close to it. 

Richard

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2020 at 4:49 AM, MikeMaben said:

pDYtn1V.jpg

has anyone proposed a correction for the kit dihedral?

If you mean the PCM  kit, it doesn't take a whole lot to get it right. Like Richard, if you get

the upper wing right, the bottom section should follow. You've got to take a buncha meat

off all the trailing edges and the top of the gear bay. I'm thinking about putting a spar across

the bottom of the fuselage wing root right behind the gear bay to help with the 0 dihedral

on the top wings.

NtSN2dB.jpg