PCM Hawker Hurricane MK.1

Mr Creosote

5 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Nice choice!  I am building the same kit as my second build for this group build.  Which squadron do you plan to represent?

Ernest

I am leaning towards P3901 of #303 Sqn. If that was your choice I'll pick another. Probably "Ginger" Lacey's V7357.

Hi, No. 303 Squadron is a good choice, very famous squadron!  I am going to build either a No. 17 or No. 85 Squadron Hurricane, if my 10 year old Zotz decals are up to it.  If they are not then Hurricane will be marked either as a No. 257 or No. 605 Squadron aircraft.

Cheers,

Ernest

53 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

Hi, No. 303 Squadron is a good choice, very famous squadron!  I am going to build either a No. 17 or No. 85 Squadron Hurricane, if my 10 year old Zotz decals are up to it.  If they are not then Hurricane will be marked either as a No. 257 or No. 605 Squadron aircraft.

Cheers,

Ernest

Great choices! Looking forward to seeing your builds.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have started the build. Once I started sorting out the cockpit parts I noticed that the photoetch was gone. I thought ,at first, that I may have to abandon this project, at least for the time being but decided to look through the instructions to see what photoetched parts went where. As it turned out it was the instrument panel, seat belts, rudder pedal straps and radiator grills and detail. I have mesh for the radiator, etched seatbelts in the stash, a choice of materials for the rudder pedal straps and either buy a Yahu or other  instrument panel  or scratch build one. 

I decided to attempt to build the instrument panel first. I have the materials and tools so its worth a shot. 

I made sheet plastic blanks using the kit's plastic instrument panel backing. I guesstimated the dimension of the flying panel. For reference I used the drawings in Aerodata International's "Fighters of World War II".

The flying panel was first. I punched disks from black decal and applied them to the panel as template guide for punching the holes in the sheet styrene.  I did the same for the rest of the instrument panel. The hole size was determined by the size of the instrument decal going in that location. I am using Mike Grant decals for the instruments. Switches were  made using  Evergreen strip and shapes or for the smaller electrical switch panels some Reheat photoetch was used. 

The starting point:

Nhfrzw.jpg

Decal disks on the flying panel:

mKbmyM.jpg

The flying panel instruments punched and the being used to aid in locating the other instruments as accurately as possible.

EmbTI5.jpg

ZjwmvY.jpg

Panel completed. The compass mount and compass are resin kit parts and will be added later. 

K1HV1X.jpg

The cockpit frame work basically complete. The rudder pedal straps were made from lead foil. I did, at first, try to use styrene strip but tired of wrestling with it and switched. I think they turned out alright.

rwHT1n.jpg

rR9jwk.jpg

More to come.

Edited by Mr Creosote

• 2 months later...

The instrument panel after being fit and glued up into the fuselage. Not the best picture but I think it serves the purpose. To try to get a better fit and bond the forward or front was beveled somewhat. The gloss at the join is some CA that came through. Clear flat was used as a fix even though I doubt that edge would be visible once complete but you never know.   
EzfXaX.jpg

The cockpit frame work and seat painted up and about ready to install. The lap belts were installed the wrong way around. I corrected this later. These are Eduard's Early RAF Seatbelts -Steel. [323872]. Prepainted and very user friendly.  

1z9zx5.jpg

jEALcC.jpg

Ei5sPf.jpg

The build is rolling along. More progress shots soon.

RD

• 4 weeks later...