WWII German or Japanese Aircraft Phobia: Is it just me?

chuck540z3

21 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I can lock this one down if you would like Chuck, but it would be at your request only since no rules are being broken at this time.

Agreed. Just a conversation at this point, nothing more.

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I can lock this one down if you would like Chuck, but it would be at your request only since no rules are being broken at this time.

Up to you guys Brian.  If it continues to be just conversation, please leave it alone.  If it gets political or confrontational in any way, feel free to put the handcuffs on it. ^_^

BTW, Congrat's on the Olds 442 sale.  I'm just glad it wasn't located here in western Canada, or it would be in my garage with my wife and her hands on her hips steaming mad!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

I don't really understand that kind of thinking. A friend of mine who is Jewish refuses to build any model of a German aircraft, although he had to concede the point that his countrymen of years past didn't have such hang ups when they were flying Avia S 199's and but for a small twist of fate would have been flying Bf 109G-10s. Besides which I wonder if you've applied such thinking into the other aspects of your life. Your mobile/iphone, probably made in China, who are clearly an enemy of the Western world. Those pants you bought, probably made in an Indian sweat shop by a worker paid cents an hour. You car, probably Japanese. White goods in your house, could be Italian....also why didn't you mention the Italians, or the Spanish? Finns also, they were German allies, how about the Hungarians, the only ally of German not to switch sides? What about Russian aircraft, Stalin wasn't exactly a nice guy....and on and on and on....

Edited by BradG

1 hour ago, BradG said:

I don't really understand that kind of thinking. A friend of mine who is Jewish refuses to build any model of a German aircraft, although he had to concede the point that his countrymen of years past didn't have such hang ups when they were flying Avia S 199's and but for a small twist of fate would have been flying Bf 109G-10s. Besides which I wonder if you've applied such thinking into the other aspects of your life. Your mobile/iphone, probably made in China, who are clearly an enemy of the Western world. Those pants you bought, probably made in an Indian sweat shop by a worker paid cents an hour. You car, probably Japanese. White goods in your house, could be Italian....also why didn't you mention the Italians, or the Spanish? Finns also, they were German allies, how about the Hungarians, the only ally of German not to switch sides? What about Russian aircraft, Stalin wasn't exactly a nice guy....and on and on and on....

This as already covered on Page 1 as shown below.  It's the era and what that nation stood for at that particular time.  I have no problem with Germany or Japan today.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:43 PM, dmthamade said:

I'm curious, does this apply to things other than models? Cars, audio/video equipment, cameras, appliances, tools....

Don

Nope, not at all and I actually prefer them.  I love my German cars and Japanese SUV's, but they represent today, rather than WWII.  On that same vein, I have no problem building a jet like an F-4F or F-4EJ.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Personally I think a lot of my joy in modeling comes from having complete freedom to build what and as I choose. Its what makes modeling fun for me personally.

Honestly Chuck as far as modeling goes, I think you have every right to build (or not build) pretty darn much anything you choose, and personally, I don't even think you need to explain why, although in this context it does help. 

Build what you want. It is a hobby. So this must be fun whatever may be the reason of your choice. My grand-father stayed five years in a German camp and my father less than one year as well. However, I have no problem to build German WW2 airplanes or vehicles as this depicts history and machines of an era. This is not the machine who launches the bomb but the man and the validity of his motives can always be debatable. We should keep in mind building a model is generally not a political action but I understand that some people may have problems with some symbols. As far as you have fun, you are on the right track! 

Hate symbols are just "symbols" of "hate". The problem is not the "symbol", it is the "hate". As long as the hate exists, the symbols change and new symbols/idols keep appearing all the time. Because one's villain is another's hero there will always be conflict. 

Radu 

Interesting that a lot of us may still have or had close relatives who were involved in WW2.

It is interesting to get their take on their views on those that were enemies in conflict.

My late father served in the RAF for 40 years starting as a "Boy Apprentice" and retiring as a Flight Lieutenant.

He was an engineer.

He was on Malta between 1941 and '43 during the blitz so in theory should have had plenty of hatred stored up .

Considering some of the things he told me and his experiences, I wouldn't have held it against him at all.

But he didn't, not at all.

I asked him once what he thought of the Germans and presumably putting his engineers hat on he said "superb engineers".

He was very impressed with german aircraft that he had had a look over after they crash landed.

He also said a lot of the pilots were "just kids" who were as frightened as our pilots.

I suppose it's down to individuals as to how they view their experiences and any bearing that may have on their personal attitudes.

My grandfather flew against the Germans and Japanese. As far as I know he had nothing against them. Being a Union man he was against Facism and imperialism. He regarded the Italians as gentlemen. He was so sick of the war he got out as soon as it finished despite a promising career. 

If you don’t want to build certain subjects it’s totally ok.

Im not going to leave off a certain decal if it completes a historic subject on an aircraft model because a model is just not the real world. I think the camouflage and designs on German WW1 &2  a/c are great. Those ‘baddies’ if you want to call them that, had a style. IMO the Zero is an iconic design. 

But it’s all subjective.

Western democracies had to win those wars and they did, not without committing atrocities themselves. But the world has moved on several times and our brief enemies are our friends again. The price now is eternal vigilance as they say.

‘Nuff said

Edited by Pup7309
Typo

My sister's father in law survived being in mr. H's Youth because he almost died of illness in a hospital while the rest of the hundreds of boys didn't make it at the end of WWII. He never talked about it.

My wife's uncle blew up a train in Denmark to sabotage the invaders, got put in a prison camp, escaped and went to Sweden. He trained there with Danish Brigade and came back to guard the same invaders in the same camp. He never talked about it until just before his death.

My father in law built B-24's in San Diego, joined the US Navy and patched up airplanes after washing them out from the aftermath of combat. He built models of what he worked on and hung them from his "Man Cave" ceiling. I heard a lot of interesting stories from him and his buddies who did the same thing.

My dad joined up with the US Marines before WWII and built outhouses, outhouses and more outhouses in Samoa, then built shipping crates in San Francisco for the rest of the war. He had many stories that inspire me and his family.

My son's can play that Fallout game and not have a care in the world. It bothers me to look at it, but the tech is interesting. I wouldn't do it for fun.

Those who wore the "Red Shirt" like the Star Trek away team and made it back most often didn't want to talk about it and probably had very strong emotions tied up with their experiences. The ones who were back a bit from the action had some fascinating stories to tell.

As long as I didn't wear a Red Shirt, I can make a model of any airplane I want and enjoy it from a perspective of the engineering or artistic marvel that it is. I don't make other people responsible for my emotions, so let them build whatever they want. It is probably good for me to get desensitized to those emotions and good for all of us to remember history. But I have way too many other models on the shelf that cry for my attention.

Tnarg