WWII German or Japanese Aircraft Phobia: Is it just me?

chuck540z3

I don't model Japanese aircraft; not particularly because of the wartime history, but more a lack of interest - there are too many other subjects to do.  Truth be told, I was also put off in my teens due to the apparent complexity of the designation systems.  I still refer to them by the reporting names.

So I suppose that, paradoxically, I have zero interest ... I'll get my coat. ;)

Edited by MikeC

My father was a seaman aboard Liberty Ships, troop ships and other types doing convoy duty across the Atlantic. Some of the ships in his convoys were sunk by German battleships but I have the Graf Spee and Scharnhorst kits in my stash. For me it's the whole history and gives everything context.

Hi Chuck,

I think you should take comfort in building subjects that naturally appeal to you, rather than worrying why you don't build particular subjects.   Having said that, I think most people in this day age realise that peoples' attitudes change over time.   Personally, I don't think it's fair to judge people's mind-sets in different eras because we're not subjected to the social, political and personal pressures other generations were.   Your 'average' axis soldier, sailor and airman probably felt compelled to support their government during the war because opposing it probably meant incarceration or death.   I think Ryan aptly put it by saying, "I build the machine, not the governments that used them."    I totally agree with him.   Build what interests you and don't get caught up in the 'political correctness' dilemma.   Just my 2 cents worth...

interesting question..

I can see both sides - I know some don't like even representing the ideology or violence behind certain subjects, and for example there is a very gifted modeller on Britmodeller who will only model civil aircraft (or civil variants), won't even look at a thread on military variants and gets very upset if someone posts anything military in his threads, even to illustrate a bit of research on a subject he is asking about so his pacifist stance & beliefs flows right through to his modelling. I quite understand this and any other reluctance to replicate, 'glorify' or in any other way associate with what people might consider corrupt or violent ideologies (including allied)

On the other hand, I just like the engineering and the technology so see a subject as one I either like or don't like or interests me or doesn't - I don't even think about what it represents and wouldn't unless it was something overtly obvious - something like Rudels Stuka or Goering's DVII would be a machine to me, not a man

I am making a 190 right now and until now hadn't even thought about what it means to some to go whacking a Swastika on the tail, so it's an interesting concept to absorb

Peter

4 hours ago, Grissom said:

Hi Chuck,

I think you should take comfort in building subjects that naturally appeal to you, rather than worrying why you don't build particular subjects.   Having said that, I think most people in this day age realise that peoples' attitudes change over time.   Personally, I don't think it's fair to judge people's mind-sets in different eras because we're not subjected to the social, political and personal pressures other generations were.   Your 'average' axis soldier, sailor and airman probably felt compelled to support their government during the war because opposing it probably meant incarceration or death.   I think Ryan aptly put it by saying, "I build the machine, not the governments that used them."    I totally agree with him.   Build what interests you and don't get caught up in the 'political correctness' dilemma.   Just my 2 cents worth...

For the record since this thread is starting to move in this direction, I have never said that I have a problem with others building this era of "enemy aircraft".  The subject is that I do, rational or not, and I was wondering if I was alone or others shared this "phobia", as the title of this thread states.  That's it.  If others want to chime in and explain why they don't care about these things, that's fine and I realized beforehand that this is the norm for the reasons given, but it really doesn't answer my question.

Cheers,

Chuck

1 hour ago, airscale said:

interesting question..

I can see both sides - I know some don't like even representing the ideology or violence behind certain subjects, and for example there is a very gifted modeller on Britmodeller who will only model civil aircraft (or civil variants), won't even look at a thread on military variants and gets very upset if someone posts anything military in his threads, even to illustrate a bit of research on a subject he is asking about so his pacifist stance & beliefs flows right through to his modelling. I quite understand this and any other reluctance to replicate, 'glorify' or in any other way associate with what people might consider corrupt or violent ideologies (including allied)

On the other hand, I just like the engineering and the technology so see a subject as one I either like or don't like or interests me or doesn't - I don't even think about what it represents and wouldn't unless it was something overtly obvious - something like Rudels Stuka or Goering's DVII would be a machine to me, not a man

I am making a 190 right now and until now hadn't even thought about what it means to some to go whacking a Swastika on the tail, so it's an interesting concept to absorb

Peter

Hi Peter,

As I mentioned in my opening post, "To be clear, I really enjoy seeing a well made and camo-painted Me 262 or FW 190, so it's not the aircraft as much as these were the aircraft of the bad guys, so I don't want to build something that glorified them, especially with a swastika on the tail."  As far as I'm concerned, you are capturing history, swastika and all, so model on! - but I just can't see myself doing the same for some reason.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

I am with you on this Chuck - same goes for Italian and armour as well. Don’t get me started on the 1/35 kits of German boxcars!

I can build Cold War Warsaw Pact stuff and like modern Japanese and German subjects too as well as Chinese (just thinking through the stash)

On the subject of boring markings for Allied subjects - you just need to look harder!

Everyone has a tolerance level for this stuff.   I imagine some folks would never consider building anything with the Red Star on it.   Also imagine maybe some Vietnamese would never want to build a US subject.   It is what it is.  Not worth a great deal of discussion on.

Edited by John1

Japanese...reluctant to admit that I have never built one,not one.

but then again I have never built a Portuguese Aircraft either.  

Have built many German,just for the diversity found in colorful markings and unit badges for the most part.

There is really no dedicated list for scale modelers to like or dislike,,we all are individual hobbyists who display large variations on a theme.

6 hours ago, Lothar said:

No, I don't share your phobia because I don't have any sentiments regardless of nationality and I don't care if you don't build German or Japanese aircraft. Does that answer your question?

2 hours ago, Lothar said:

This thread is leading nowhere,, just like the WNW threads. Just MY two cents.

OK guys, I think I got the feedback I was looking for which is this:  My feelings about this topic are fairly rare, but not entirely unique.  Good to know.

However, based upon the above, I think it's time to shut this thread down since it's obviously annoying some of you.  I love this site for how we all get along and the focus should be on modeling.

Cheers, and thank you for your input,

Chuck