WWII German or Japanese Aircraft Phobia: Is it just me?

chuck540z3

8 hours ago, vince14 said:

Would you build, say, a Spitfire or Hurricane in the markings of Douglas Bader then?

I honestly don't know enough about him to say for sure how I would feel about him. I only know the superficial stuff about his war record and imprisonment at Colditz.

I built a FW 190 in bright red colors with US insignia. It was a long time ago in a smaller scale that we like to talk about here, but was a lot of fun. The decal in 1/32 is available with other interesting alternatives. Think what that would look like with a BMW motorcycle parked next to it, even if it were in 1/35 scale. And you can do it in red, blue and orange if you felt that red was not your thing.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/captured-butcherbirds-vol-v-kd3206-karaya-decals-kd3206-aircraft-scale-modelling-decals/product/?action=prodinfo&art=103572

There are other ways to display the technology besides making it about war. Racing planes with the colors you would paint on your plane make a fascinating alternative.
What If? models are some of the most fascinating and you are free to make the model in the colors of anything from the Cherokee Nation in support of their CSA allies in the Great European War, the Air Force of Trumania, the Martian Legion or anything else that catches your imagination.

I have the same problem with the red star. I look at the Mig-23 and think it is a beautiful plane, but get physically upset when I think of putting a red star on it. Too much Cuban Missile Crisis messed my head up as a little kid. Don't need no stinkin' therapy. It is what it is. Plenty of other things to build.

Tnarg

This was a good question! It made me think! I notice I build a lot of WW II Luftwaffe models my only reasoning being I like to paint and Luftwaffe stuff offers the ability to apply color. 
Along the same vein of thinking, I don’t hang weapons on my models, fuel tanks ecm pods whatever but not missiles or bombs. Some I have to but I don’t like it!
Some models don’t even get the pylons, I guess I don’t like to think I’m building a model of a weapon. Sadly, military aircraft were (in this context) only a platform for the weapon

Edited by chrish
Typo

I'm the exact opposite, Chris, a Skyraider or similar, without weapons, is just another plane to me, so I load them to the gills. I have a "thing" for attack aircraft anyway, so piling on the weapons makes perfect sense to me.

2 hours ago, Tnarg said:

Too much Cuban Missile Crisis messed my head up as a little kid. Don't need no stinkin' therapy.

Tnarg

:D!!!

I can relate to the Cuban missile crisis, too!  I don't care for the look of the red star aside from the history of it.

Cheers,

Damian

Just now, ringleheim said:

I think it's silly to think too far beyond the fact that these are plastic model kits we are talking about.

If you want to walk down the moral superiority road, don't build any of it.

War is horrible.  No nation is free from atrocities.

Nor are breakfast burritos.

Interesting... I build the aircraft that are appealing regardless of the country of origin. The only real markings I have heard some fellow modelers avoid are modern day Israel. And the irony of that story is the fellow who refuses to build aircraft in Israeli marking is from Tel Aviv originally and Jewish. He left Israel because he didn't like what his government has done to the Palestinians. Therefore, he does not want to complete his builds with Israeli markings... when asked why he still builds WWII German aircraft with Swastikas his reply was it should never be forgotten. I agree with him. The danger of repeating the atrocities of WWII increase as we loose the living witnesses of the era... the farther away we drift from the truth of that conflict the easier it will be for a new generation of people to repeat the mistakes of history... so, yes - it is alright not to want to build a kit from a nation that was on the wrong path, but we must never forget two things... first, no nation is without sin and we must never forget the collective mistakes of the past - ever...

Cheers

Alan