WWII German or Japanese Aircraft Phobia: Is it just me?

chuck540z3

I just can't see myself building a German or Japanese aircraft of any kind from WWI or WWII, so I was wondering if this is a very isolated feeling I have, or if there were others out there that felt the same way?  To be clear, I really enjoy seeing a well made and camo-painted Me 262 or FW 190, so it's not the aircraft as much as these were the aircraft of the bad guys, so I don't want to build something that glorified them, especially with a swastika on the tail.  Sounds nuts, I know and I'm sure most German and Japanese pilots were just doing their job, etc., but I will never build one.  I think this might be a generational thing as I approach 66 years old and was born only 9 years after WWII ended.  My father and his 3 brothers all served in the RCAF during the war and there was probably a lot of brain-washing going on about the "bad German's" when I was a kid.  I have some modeling friends in their early 30's who don't get my feelings at all, so that's why I throw it out there.  Anybody else, or should I find a psychiatrist and then build a nice Bf 109 or Zero?  ;)

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Build a Swiss or Finnish 109 maybe? Can check with your psychiatrist/psychologist...

You are not alone. When I was heavy into Warbirds the flight sim, one of our squadron mates was a Marine that absolutely refused to fly any Japanese aircraft.

I look at a Corsair and a Hellcat / Wildcat in the same conundrum.  The most boring camouflage ever invented but obviously superbly designed to the climate and theater of operation.  My heritage is USA obviously, but with German, Luxembourg and French in me this has little to decide my interests.   Americans are not bothered by this in the least, however this is my own observation.  Age would likely have something to add here for sure.  

The Luftwaffe to me however, had the most interesting Camouflage ever.  Totally arrogant and flamboyant in the beginning of the war and totally tactical in the way of camouflage mandated by the Reich as the war declined and not in their favor!  Same with Japan, but I still love the axis aircraft examples.  I have zero resentment to the political atmosphere but I do like the Luftwaffe subjects.  IMHO they were well ahead of their time (honestly) and the crazy ideas on the axis sides.  More disturbing in my opinion were the counties that switched sides in the waning months of the war and one day wanted their own country men to shoot at the people they were fighting with throughout the war!  I don’t lean myself to subscribe to this mentality whatsoever.  

Now talk about boring!  Former Army Aviator and US Army Helicopter Driver.   Anything but OD!   

I only build German ground and sea vehicles, but my aircraft cover all nations. I don't apply an ideology to a model kit. 

And if I was going to pass on military items because of a poorly chosen set of policies or the shape of an emblem possibly representing a 'bad guy' then I wouldn't be building much. Most every industrialized nation has embarked on policies that caused someone to view them as a villain. Some worse than others yes, but everyone gets to be the bad guy at some point.

I have Jewish friends and relatives, but I am not going to make kits inaccurate to spare their feelings. They don't have to go in my office and I don't ask them to.

2 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

I just can't see myself building a German or Japanese aircraft of any kind from WWI or WWII, so I was wondering if this is a very isolated feeling I have, or if there were others out there that felt the same way?  To be clear, I really enjoy seeing a well made and camo-painted Me 262 or FW 190, so it's not the aircraft as much as these were the aircraft of the bad guys, so I don't want to build something that glorified them, especially with a swastika on the tail.  Sounds nuts, I know and I'm sure most German and Japanese pilots were just doing their job, etc., but I will never build one.  I think this might be a generational thing as I approach 66 years old and was born only 9 years after WWII ended.  My father and his 3 brothers all served in the RCAF during the war and there was probably a lot of brain-washing going on about the "bad German's" when I was a kid.  I have some modeling friends in their early 30's who don't get my feelings at all, so that's why I throw it out there.  Anybody else, or should I find a psychiatrist and then build a nice Bf 109 or Zero?  ;)

Cheers,

Chuck

I'm curious, does this apply to things other than models? Cars, audio/video equipment, cameras, appliances, tools....

Don

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

I'm curious, does this apply to things other than models? Cars, audio/video equipment, cameras, appliances, tools....

Don

Nope, not at all and I actually prefer them.  I love my German cars and Japanese SUV's, but they represent today, rather than WWII.  On that same vein, I have no problem building a jet like an F-4F or F-4EJ.

Cheers,

Chuck

19 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Purely aesthetics for me...ideology plays no part whatsoever.

100% same.

I build what creates interest for me on a personal level, and ideology of the government behind that plane or that particular piece of history plays zero part on it for me.