Bf109 E-4 Sortie Prep

The build is complete.  All in all it was an enjoyable build and the final result was decent.  I did not add very much scratchbuilding; a couple of O2 lines in the pit, the canvas cover in one of the wheel wells, and some minor stuff on the aerial.  The camo turned out well, especially the mottling that has a nice toned down look to it.  The weathering, while not perfect, is viewable.  The figures turned out very well and I think they are perfect for telling the story of a pilot prepping for a mission.  I took some quick photos with a basic photography setup on my bench.  I will get the photo tent, lights, etc setup tonight and shot some better photos to include a few "scene setting" type shots.  I will be starting the Mark I Hurricane tomorrow and plan to make it the ying to this build's yang - i.e. I plan to show it returning from a sortie.

Ernest

A few shots of the base under construction, such as it is.  Airfield scenes are about as easy as it gets when it comes to diorama bases.  I added a bit of bushy grass and some natural ground debris; the purpose being to suggest a tree line just off the base. 

IMG_2058

IMG_2060

IMG_2062

IMG_2086

Ugh, white balance is a bit off on this one.

IMG_2091

IMG_2100

IMG_2113

IMG_2115

More to follow!

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent! The paint and weathering are really well done. I especially like the antenna and insulators. Any closer shots of them?

I'll have to try my hand at making my own base too.

Thank you Brian!  I will be posting better photos shortly and one of them will be a macro shot of the antenna insulators.

Ernest

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Ernest , looks great, did you mask the canopy by hand or did you use AM masks ?

Hi Mike, thank you for the kind words.  I used Eduard masks to mask the canopy; much easier than cutting them myself.

Ernest

Hi guys, I am going to post better photos broken down into three posts.  The first will show some medium distance overall shots.  The second will be some macro shots highlighting some details.  Finally, I will post a series of photos in which I attempt to tell the story of a pilot preparing for a sortie helped by one of his ground crewman.

Ernest

IMG_2205

IMG_2206

IMG_2207

IMG_2208

IMG_2211

IMG_2213

Up next some macros!

I tried to compose the following macro shots of areas folks might be interested in.  Hope you like them!

Ernest

IMG_2108

The worst of the macro photos, but it shows the completed oil staining of the bottom.

IMG_2246

Some dings and chip on the prop assembly.

IMG_2224

Antenna showing the tensioning spring, insulator and the little cone shaped wind deflector, which I still have not found a good way to replicate.  This time I used some of the thin metal that covers some wine and champagne bottles.  Better than my previous efforts but still not as good as I want it to be.

IMG_2258

IMG_2257

IMG_2270

IMG_2247

I scratched the canopy retaining strap as the PE part supplied was too flat.

IMG_2261

The HGW wet transfers (the 3) do look darn good, though the decal cross was not one of my better efforts.

IMG_2249

IMG_2251

IMG_2255

IMG_2231

This final series of photos is where I try to tell the story of a pilot preparing for a sortie assisted by one of his groundcrew.  Let's see how well I can bring this off.

IMG_2216

Early on a late August morning an anonymous pilot of I/JG 27 prepares for a sortie over England.

IMG_2238

Tension clearly shows on his downturned face as he contemplates yet another mission over England.

IMG_2241

His faithful ground crewman's face also shows the strain of continued operations.

IMG_2250

At their feet is the pilot's flight kit bag.  Will he return to reclaim it, or will it's contents be a reminder of another lost eagle?

IMG_2234

Both concentrate on the final task of ensuring the life saving parachute is properly prepared.

IMG_2268

As they near the completion of final preparations a ground mist begins to rise, perhaps a foreboding sign of what is to come?

Edited by Greif8

7 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very nice! The macro doesnt lie, and they tell me it's very well done.

Thank you very much Brian.  I always have a slight send of foreboding while taking macro photos wondering what wart they will highlight.  This build has couple that are fortunately pretty minor.  

Ernest 

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

VERY nice!!! 

A trick for the insulator: heat stretch a tube as you would do with a section of sprue and cut the cone out of that.

Hth 

Thierry 

Hi Thierry, thank you for the compliment and the tip about heat stretching a tube tp make a cone.  That is an ides that never occurred to me.

Ernest