1/32 F-105

Rob Colvin

4 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Well we will need to find out what is really needed and I need some help and feed back if there is need for work to be done on the D and the G. A friend nearby is going to loan me his kit but I am not sure if it is a D or a G. I need to see some parts in my hand to start seeing what questions I may need to ask you guys.

will so how this develops as time goes by.

cheers Ali

Great to read that you are going after this Ali!  Your work is stellar!

Ok, I now have a D kit that I have borrowed.........

On this example there is quite a lot of distortion on the screen section, on both of the side sections and the opening canopy has almost ‘dents’ within the canopy, that cause distortion, so although clear as they are they are not great.

So to clarify what are the major issues? From what I gather other than any mould deficiencies that some kits have there are shape problems?
I have not even started or will not have much time to look and start serious searching / research do any of you have good pictures to illustrate what is needed.

Secondly I only have the D, Tony T has offered to send me parts and especially for the G, but as he is currently having to shield for possibly some time to come he is unable to get parts off to me, anytime soon.
So is anybody else in the UK able to help out with fuselage sections for the G and the main canopy?

cheers Ali

2 minutes ago, scimitarf1 said:

the problem is the issue with the nose starts basically mid-cockpit rather then being just the radome.

The F-105 is so iconic it is a shame that there is no decent kit of it

Well I highly doubt that there will be another made in 1/32 scale..... but who knows, so will have to see what and or anything can be done with this offering we have.

3 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Well I highly doubt that there will be another made in 1/32 scale..... but who knows, so will have to see what and or anything can be done with this offering we have.

I could not agree more. Any chance of you having a crack at it?

In the absence of anyone posting what they want via images I'll have a rummage for the F-105 Detail & Scale booklet for reference, and anything similar showing the canopies. You can keep this stuff afterwards as I'm downsizing books all the time.

How to get these to the PO is the same problem as the kit parts, as I no longer have an accessible scanner and image host since Photobucket "ended" its free service. I know there exist other hosts but I'm in the spiritual phase of my life and want minimum technogarbage — I used to have to upgrade all that every four years at collossal cost and in 2016 decided on just an iPad, big telly and Netflix. And gin. 

I wouldn't worry about the Thud's fuselage shape.

Gary at GT Resin makes the necessaries for ventral fins and radomes, which disguise things considerably, so that anything further is probably overkill. 

What GT Resin can't seem to do are clear parts, and it's these for an F-105G that I'm after as my kit has cold seam marks (as did much of early Trumpeter Thud production, so am guessing I'm not alone). Others want new F-105D canopy parts but I really think it's time to hold a poll to elicit the true level of interest. 

If interest is poor I'll look to Trumpeter's spare parts service and try and get a new set of clear parts (or live with the seams).

Cheers

Tony

Ok as an update, I have the D on loan as I said previously, I have just ordered a G and a book or two to help me sort things out.

So in the next little while I will look at the canopy sections and maybe one or two other items once I have the kits and the reference materials.
If any of you can help in any way by sending pictures or drawings of areas that need fixing then that would be great.

Ali

• 5 months later...

There was a guy in the UK that made some 105 parts...I bought them all for my D and G...I have some Cutting Edge

parts as well. Don't know if I got the canopy's or not. I have the brass landing gear as well. Such a great airplane...

you knew a 105 was on departure when that water injected engine had the hard light afterburner go! Wanted to back date my D

to the project "look alike" silver lacquer with the big TAC shield on the tail. But will probably build it as a  Vietnam war horse!

Cheers...Ron