Supermarine Spitfire Mk.II

I´ll play with this one;

36094732416_ce4865c8aa_c.jpg

It´s the all (not so ) new kit from Revell, and It will be in the early green/brown day-scheme, and I will use some resin bits/corrections/decals, some more needed then others.

It´s not a lot of parts in this kit so I will throw in some more, lots of resin bits, here´s what I will use;

36136155265_b3d63a4f67_c.jpg

I´ll present the parts in the tread when I use them.

Revells kits usually goes together nicely but new parts can cause a bit of work, we will se how it all fits.

I don´t like Revell´s decals very much. so the first I did was to buy new ones and this sheet from extradecals was perfect!

36094740806_1c391c5024_c.jpg

Here You get six nice options;

IMG_9272_zpsyy9jmhmr.jpg

I want a machine in the classic green/brown over sky or sky blue, I hanen´t decided yet but I like P-8044 "EB o J", but that may be a little too late, maybe N3093 "QJ o W" will fit BoB better..

The decals from Extradacals are perfectly printed as always and the quality is top notch.

More to come soon!

Tally Ho, Chaps!  :beer:

Stefan

Edited by Phantom2

Nice choice!
Since I plan to do QJ o W in the distant future one advice: you might want to get replacement prop and spinner.

The Revell part looks like something in between the Jablo and the Rotol part.

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Nice choice!
Since I plan to do QJ o W in the distant future one advice: you might want to get replacement prop and spinner.

The Revell part looks like something in between the Jablo and the Rotol part.

Tanks for the heads up, Fanes!

I´ll look into that...  

Stefan :D

Nice choice I built one of those a few years ago and used the Barracuda stuff on it, it went really well and I was most pleased with it, apart from the prop and spinner.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Great choice Stefan!  I built this kit a few years ago using most of the Barracuda AM you show in your picture to backdate the aircraft of a Mark Ia and was happy with the result.  No. 616 Squadron flew out of Kenley during some of the heaviest fighting during the battle in August and September so that is an excellent choice to build.

Ernest

Nice choice.  One small thing.  Just be aware that with early Spitfires built by Supermarine, their idea of standard RAF sky type S was a little more blue than most others.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks guys!

Ernest, that makes it for me, I´ll do "The Virgin" from 616 Sqn.!

I have most of the Barracuda stuff and I plan on robbing the correct prop from a PCM Hurricane (that kit have all props included; Watts, Rotol, and  DeHavilland), if it fits....

1 hour ago, Phantom2 said:

Thanks guys!

Ernest, that makes it for me, I´ll do "The Virgin" from 616 Sqn.!

I have most of the Barracuda stuff and I plan on robbing the correct prop from a PCM Hurricane (that kit have all props included; Watts, Rotol, and  DeHavilland), if it fits....

I am sure you have a great time building the kit Stefan.  I know I will enjoy watching!

Ernest

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

”Everyone” knows you´ll always start with the cockpit, but NOPE!  

I´ll start with the wings!

Revell have made several errors and simplified too much, incorrect shapes on the coolers, cheated with the intake/outlet ramps to the large cooler and the wings have metal ailerons, not fabric as it should be.

Barracudacast saves us with this little set;

IMG_9265_zpst3lniflw.jpg

Here you´ll find everything to fix the errors in the wings, new coolers and fabric ailerons.

IMG_9293_zpsliw5zlfp.jpg

Here You can see that the wing surface  is flat where it should have a slightly recessed duct.

First I chain-drill along the perimeter with a 1mm drill-bit…

IMG_9301_zpsonovbayo.jpg

Then It´s some carving and cutting until you get a nice hole…

The cooler waits in front of the wing….

IMG_9305_zpsuslbxju4.jpg

The plastic are scaringly soft and It´s very easy to remove too much, tread easily!

Barracuda´s parts are a drop-fit, as usual…

IMG_9303_zpscackr7on.jpg

I glued the cooler from the inside and used generously with CA, I´ll take no chances getting the parts loose!

A test-fit of the top wing parts showed that I had to remove a little plastic here too.

35327807973_0b79b83bc5_c.jpg

More to come soon...

Edited by Phantom2

Looking good, I very nearly chickened out when it came to the wing corrections but in the end it worked out fine, and looked great, the only problem I had was with the ailerons, one was a bit short.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks guys!

I have built lots of short-run kits so I´m quite used to cutting and slicing in the kits I build.

But I understand, It´s not fun cutting up a new kit the first thing you do, but it´s a necessary evil in this case.

In this case the very soft plastic makes it even more scary as It´s very easy to cut away too much.

Cheers! :beer:

Edited by Phantom2