Those canvas wheel well liners

I made a paper template

DSCF0830.JPG

Used it to cut a piece of thin brass sheet:

DSCF0831.JPG

Embossed it with a few simple tools and stuck it in place:

DSCF0832.JPG

DSCF0828.JPG

Not perfect, they'll look fine tucked up underneath the aeroplane with some paint

Richard

Good thinking and execution Richard.  Unfortunately I don't have a template or I would try the same thing, it looks like I'll be waitin a few weeks for the replace parts from Dragon.

Ernest

Yes, I forgot to photograph that bit too.

I cut a strip of paper, slipped it into the wheel well and rubbed a pencil along the edge of the opening.

You can't do it all in one go, so I did the straight bit first, stuck the template in with a bit of tape, and then continued around doing the same. Mark, cut, tape until you end up where you started

Richard

Here you go.

A wheel well and a strip of paper:

DSCF0833.JPG

Hold the paper in place and rub a pencil around the edge:

DSCF0834.JPG

Cut and tape that bit and carry on:

DSCF0836.JPG

It worked on the Bf 109 , the edge against the upper wing skin is almost straight. this Spitfire well would need a bit more work because the walls are conical

I'd send you my template, it's unlikely to fit a kit from a different manufacturer

Embossing the brass:

DSCF0837.JPG

Three lines, two for the fastening cords and one in the middle for the zip:

DSCF0838.JPG

Turn it over and push in dents for the eyelets:

DSCF0840.JPG

DSCF0841.JPG

This is impressionism rather than true accuracy. Somewhere out there will be a drawing of the original part for someone to make a PE part from

Richard

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Here you go.

A wheel well and a strip of paper:

DSCF0833.JPG

Hold the paper in place and rub a pencil around the edge:

DSCF0834.JPG

Cut and tape that bit and carry on:

DSCF0836.JPG

It worked on the Bf 109 , the edge against the upper wing skin is almost straight. this Spitfire well would need a bit more work because the walls are conical

I'd send you my template, it's unlikely to fit a kit from a different manufacturer

Embossing the brass:

DSCF0837.JPG

Three lines, two for the fastening cords and one in the middle for the zip:

DSCF0838.JPG

Turn it over and push in dents for the eyelets:

DSCF0840.JPG

DSCF0841.JPG

This is impressionism rather than true accuracy. Somewhere out there will be a drawing of the original part for someone to make a PE part from

Richard

Thank you Richard!

Ernest

The radiator cowls are nice, but not well faired to the wing:

DSCF0842.JPG

So I sanded down the underside:

DSCF0843.JPG

It took a bit more of after that picture, much better

This is the Weekend edition, the Profilpack has a PE radiator grille. So I scribed some brass sheet:

DSCF0844.JPG

DSCF0845.JPG

Again, this is impressionism, it will look like mesh if you peer up the inlet

And I cut away the outlet on the cowl for the moving part:

DSCF0846.JPG

I doubt you will be able to see that grille at all!

Richard

That's some inspiring brass work, Richard.  I'd have never thought of doing the radiators that way.  I have some brass sheet that would be way too think, but I do have some aluminium flashing sheet which is quite thin.  I'll try it on that.

I have made my best guess on the camera location, based on the picture and the framing:

DSCF0848.JPG

There is a fairing to fit over that

The seat and back board are now fitted too:

DSCF0849.JPG

The back board is going to need filling around the edge to make the flat back board

DSCF0851.JPG

Richard

On 6/16/2020 at 10:05 AM, RLWP said:

Yes, I forgot to photograph that bit too.

I cut a strip of paper, slipped it into the wheel well and rubbed a pencil along the edge of the opening.

You can't do it all in one go, so I did the straight bit first, stuck the template in with a bit of tape, and then continued around doing the same. Mark, cut, tape until you end up where you started

Richard

Try doing the same thing with masking tape. You will find this is far easier. Simply decrease a little bit the sticking power of the glue beforehand. Stick and remove your tape strip on a glass two or three times before putting it in the well. This will also help in cutting the part from the metal sheet. 

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Try doing the same thing with masking tape. You will find this is far easier. Simply decrease a little bit the sticking power of the glue beforehand. Stick and remove your tape strip on a glass two or three times before putting it in the well. This will also help in cutting the part from the metal sheet. 

I'll bear that in mind next time, thank you

Richard

52 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

The camera fairing and lens looks great Richard and I think your placement is logical and plausible.

Ernest

The fairing is about right along the fuselage, and might be right for width. It's likely the fairing contained a sliding door to cover the lens, so the lens had to be towards one end

if I put the lens towards the front, then the fuselage frame would have had to be cut. Putting it at the back puts the lens between the frames which makes more sense to me

Richard

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

The fairing is about right along the fuselage, and might be right for width. It's likely the fairing contained a sliding door to cover the lens, so the lens had to be towards one end

if I put the lens towards the front, then the fuselage frame would have had to be cut. Putting it at the back puts the lens between the frames which makes more sense to me

Richard

That makes perfect sense to me Richard.  I had never given the photo recon 109's much thought until your build.  Thinking about it, the most logical location for a camera would be near, or even co-located with the radio gear; and your placement is very very close to that.  

Ernest

19 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

That makes perfect sense to me Richard.  I had never given the photo recon 109's much thought until your build.  Thinking about it, the most logical location for a camera would be near, or even co-located with the radio gear; and your placement is very very close to that.  

Ernest

From what I have read, it replaced some of the radio gear. As you say, the radio was placed just above my fairing

Richard