Messerschmitt Bf 109E-5 JG26

I launched this query earlier in May to gather information - I haven't been disappointed!

I'm planning to build this aeroplane:

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E5-9.JG26-(Y6+I)-WNr

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E5-9.JG26-(Y6+I)-WNr

using the Eduard BF 109E-3 Weekend kit. If I had done my research first, I'd have looked for an E-1 kit instead. No matter, a bit of filing and scribing will sort the wings

I've got the kit, some paint, a set of decals, a couple of books and both the Weekend and Profilpack instruction sheets. And a bucket of enthusiasm

Richard

8 hours ago, chrish said:

But not with the bullet holes...

No, not my kind of thing. That's not to say it can't be done very well, just not what I want to do

In those pictures I'm more interested in the starboard main wheel nearly up to it's axle in mud. But no obvious tracks leading to where the plane is standing. The picture looks like a landing accident, probably a ground loop, but no evidence on the ground

Richard

Just now, Greif8 said:

Sounds like an interesting project Richard; E-5's were pretty uncommon!  Needless to say I will be following along.

Ernest

Yes, one source I have suggests there were 29 of them. We are luck to have two good pictures of one

Richard

8 hours ago, RLWP said:

In those pictures I'm more interested in the starboard main wheel nearly up to it's axle in mud. 

It seems, in the photo, that the tire was partly torn from the rim, and the metal wheel is resting on the ground. 

Alain

31 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

It seems, in the photo, that the tire was partly torn from the rim, and the metal wheel is resting on the ground. 

Alain

Well observed, so a burst tyre. That would explain what is in the picture

Richard

Well started Richard.  You did a good job getting rid of the cannon bulges while keeping the detail intact.  I read somewhere long ago that the E-5 variants were used as photo recon aircraft.  I don't remember how accurate that information was, but as so few were built it makes sense in a way.  If so, are you planning on installing any cameras in the aft portion of the fuselage?

Ernest

14 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

Well started Richard.  You did a good job getting rid of the cannon bulges while keeping the detail intact.  I read somewhere long ago that the E-5 variants were used as photo recon aircraft.  I don't remember how accurate that information was, but as so few were built it makes sense in a way.  If so, are you planning on installing any cameras in the aft portion of the fuselage?

Ernest

Yes. My understanding is all E-5 aircraft are photo-reconnaissance and are derivatives of the E-1. The sources I have suggest all the E-5 aircraft were built by Arado at the same time they were only building the E-1

I haven't found anything specific to the installation of the Rb 21/18 camera so I'll have to work it out for myself

Richard

17 hours ago, RLWP said:

Yes. My understanding is all E-5 aircraft are photo-reconnaissance and are derivatives of the E-1. The sources I have suggest all the E-5 aircraft were built by Arado at the same time they were only building the E-1

I haven't found anything specific to the installation of the Rb 21/18 camera so I'll have to work it out for myself

Richard

Hi Richard, hopefully I am not being too forward with the below, but I looked through some of the information I have gathered over the years and found a couple of photos that might be useful to you.  Unfortunately I do not have anything on the RB 21/18 camera, but the photos below show the RB 12,5 7x9 camera that was also commonly used by single engine aircraft, and I the Fw189.  It could be installed with different focal length lenses.  And it could be installed alone or as a pair, I think for stereoscopic type imagining.  The photos show one being taken out of a Bf109 and installed in an Fw190.  I included the photo of the installation area (in the Fw 190) so you can see what it look's like.   Finally, I included a picture of an Rb32 7x9 camera that was also used in fighter recon aircraft.  I think the 190 installation is probably pretty similar to the 109, but I am going to look a bit deeper to see if I can find some 109 pictures and I have queried a person I know that works in the German Military Archives to see if she can dig up something as well. 

HTH,

Ernest

Bf109 Recon

Rb 12,5 7X9

Cameras Removed

Rb32 7X9

That is interesting, unfortunately that camera is quite a bit smaller in plate size. There was a similar installation in the later series of BF 109 but not the E

My understanding is stereoscopic images were made by using successive images taken by an aeroplane flying in a straight line at constant speed and height. The cameras in the fuselage are not far enough apart to give a useful stereoscopic image

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Has anyone got a good picture of the panel at the back of the cockpit, the one behind the pilot's head?

This image is on Britmodeller:

Me-109-20b.jpg&key=c302b3ba5dbd3a05e1e0b

I can see the bottom edge of a hinged access panel, that panel is important on an E-5 as it is how the camera was maintained. The Eduard part is not like that

I have done several internet searches and not come up with a good picture yet. As this is the top of the cockpit, it is very visible so I'd like to get it somewhere near right

Richard

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

Has anyone got a good picture of the panel at the back of the cockpit, the one behind the pilot's head?

This image is on Britmodeller:

Me-109-20b.jpg&key=c302b3ba5dbd3a05e1e0b

I can see the bottom edge of a hinged access panel, that panel is important on an E-5 as it is how the camera was maintained. The Eduard part is not like that

I have done several internet searches and not come up with a good picture yet. As this is the top of the cockpit, it is very visible so I'd like to get it somewhere near right

Richard

In my opinion, I don't think there would be any difference between panels.

Alain

6 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

In my opinion, I don't think there would be any difference between panels.

Alain

Having played around with the part, and finding some drawings, the Eduard part seems to have a representation of the armoured plate moulded on. 

Richard