SpaceX launch

rjones726

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Did anyone else think the SpaceX Dragon took off a lot faster than the old Saturn V’s? To me, it seemed to shoot up into the sky compared to that slow climb of the Saturns.

Well for one thing the total weight of that gigantic SaturnV far exceeded that of the SpaceX, and to bring the first one up to speed should be a bit slower and longer than what we saw yesterday,.......pure science fiction!!, no make that science Fact!!

7 hours ago, Jack said:

Well for one thing the total weight of that gigantic SaturnV far exceeded that of the SpaceX, and to bring the first one up to speed should be a bit slower and longer than what we saw yesterday,.......pure science fiction!!, no make that science Fact!!

I am sure that explains it. I wonder how it felt to the astronauts to accelerate like that right out of the gates. Hope someone asks the 'naut who went on the last shuttle mission to compare launches. The video feeds were also awesome, though I was disappointed when they lost signal from the drone ship where the booster touched down. Wanted to see it land. That blows me away they can do that. I assume stage 2 still burns on re-entry.

4 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Their suits really amazed as they look like the fantasy ones from seventies science fiction movies! 

And not in a good way imho. :lol:

Looked like something you would get from a hire place and those boots are definitely a bit OTT.

Went outside at 10.10pm last night as it was going over the UK.

Saw the space station approach from the west and go across the sky.

We should have been able to see the dragon about 5 minutes later but it was either too low or small.

It will be over again tonight about 9.30 from the west but it might be a bit too light in the sky.

Where are the suit connections?  The previous suits had obvious visible connectors for things like the environmental control units when walking out to the pad, and I’d assume that they would have to have a connection to an O2 supply in case of depressurization.

21 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Where are the suit connections?  The previous suits had obvious visible connectors for things like the environmental control units when walking out to the pad, and I’d assume that they would have to have a connection to an O2 supply in case of depressurization.

There's an umbilical connection on the top of the left thigh about half way between the knee and waist.  All necessary connections (air, communications links and various sensor terminals) are  included in one, flat "plug" (appears to be about 3 - 4 inches in size).  Modern technology :rolleyes:

Since the craft is quite capable of operating without a crew they are for the most part just along for the ride unless something major fails. Seems to me they need to give the crew (passengers) something to do as they seemed to be quite bored during the countdown. I also found it interesting that they wait so late in the countdown to fuel up although I assume that saves money as they will lose less LOX due to venting.