F4J Phantom Tamiya

vvwse4

Since the insignia blue you painted on is a bit bright, I think I would do a bit of sanding and repainting, then go in search of some quality national insignia decals that are the right color.  Heck, they are decals on many of the 1:1 jets, so why not?  You know you are making me want to drag my ancient F-4 out from under the bench, right?

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hmmmm, if it were me I would probably sand it down and do it again, but that’s just me. Knowing how particular you are I would re-do it or it will forever bug you. The decal idea might be a good idea too

I think I will give the decal option a go, not my favorite option but I am getting nowhere now. Sanded the lot down right now and gave it a layer of Sea Gull gray.

Tried one decal last night , I have the AOA set and used mrMark softner to let it blend in. It didn't soften the decal but melted it. Is that stuff too strong? Anyone else have the same problems with that?

Anyway, had to sand everything down anyway so only a few hours spent......

Cheers Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Took a deep breath and started the decals option.

DSCN7530 DSCN7531

And offcourse things went wrong......the funniest thing happend when I noticed that below the underside of the stars and bars decal the paint became sticky. Somehow the paint dissolved and the layers underneath became visible. Let everything dry for a night and I might be able to fix that with a brush. Als I had to puncture the big decal because it would not settle down after the first time. Used up most of my Micro Sol, waiting for a new bottle, this works better than the mr Mark I used before. The damage on the decal can be fixed I think.

On the other hand I am having a good time adding all the stencilling, looks cool. So I am getting somewhere, finally.

DSCN7533

Cheers Rick

Edited by vvwse4

• 9 months later...

Allright,

After only looking here for a long time, and admiring everybody who actually build stuff, I decided it is time to finish something, well finish this thing.

Had to dig it up and blow the dust off and see where we were.

I decided to do something stupid and attached the gear to get the idea of progress.

DSCN7566 DSCN7567

After that I tried to fix the stars an bar, hope that will come out after a layer of gloss or mat coat

DSCN7568

Right now I am enjoying a quiet night shift so I have some time to spare. Putting on a truckload of small decals, yellow is hardly visible on white, but it is progress.

Still not a clue how to fix the tail, but I will figure that out hopefully.

Thats it for now.

Cheers Rick