F4J Phantom Tamiya

vvwse4

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Rick! Well worth the effort. But to save on masking material, test-print on plain paper first until you're happy with sizes and dimensions, and then do your cutting.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Never thought of that, thanks!!

Edited by vvwse4

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Great job, Rick! 

Fun fact: we are currently building the same BuNo during very different times of its service life! :) 

img_6823scjlv.jpeg

How about that!! Never noticed but a nice coincidence. I hope mine BuNo turns out as good as yours.

Rick

9 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Great job, Rick! 

Fun fact: we are currently building the same BuNo during very different times of its service life! :) 

img_6823scjlv.jpeg

That is a SUPER cool fact...great spotting and what a contrast in schemes she wore and pre 'S' conversion, Brilliant!

• 3 weeks later...

Just one of those days........

I was making an effort to get the stars and bars painted on. Made the masks and was aproching it the same way as Ben did, first the blue and after that the white. And then things went terribly wrong, I must have stretched the masks or something like that but I could not get everything lined up.

So at the end of the afternoon I ended up with a trashcan filled with tape and masks, and a attempt to cover up the mistakes didn't really work.

DSCN4029 - kopie

DSCN4031 - kopie

DSCN4033 - kopie

I resisted the urge of dumping the whole lot, but to be honest I am quite sick and tired of this thing right now. I will just leave it for a while and make up my mind later. Just strip all the paint off and start all over again? Maybe just buy a decal sheet and learn to use those for a change?

One thing went right, number 14 on the front gear door.

DSCN4035 - kopie

Just grin and bare it I guess.

Rick.

Hey Rick...we all get those moments mate....DONT bin it! Your model is too good to do that!

Your mistake is a learning curve for me too as I was thinking of spraying all my markings on my Brit Phantom as well.  Makes you realize how easy these guys make it look and that I would probably make the same mistakes as you when I do it as well.  Take it as a learning, cool down and in a day or 2 you will have fresh eyes to look at it differently.  Easier said than done...I know.

You are so close mate, and she's a stunner!  C'mon get to the finish line, dont let this stop you.

Cheers Anthony 

Well that sucks, but there is no need to strip anything.  Just lightly sand the paint and re-spray it and while you're at it, this will give you a chance to apply different shades of the paint all over to give it a weathered look.  As for the masks, try them on something else and practice, because they can be tricky to apply.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Set it aside for a couple of days and give it a fresh look later. You can't give up on it after all that great work. The masks do take some practice for sure. A paint mule will give you something to practice on without worrying about it. I have a old wing that has been through about every experiment you could think of and it's a great learning tool.

6 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Well that sucks, but there is no need to strip anything.  Just lightly sand the paint and re-spray it and while you're at it, this will give you a chance to apply different shades of the paint all over to give it a weathered look.  As for the masks, try them on something else and practice, because they can be tricky to apply.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Chuck

Second that. 

19 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hey Rick...we all get those moments mate....DONT bin it! Your model is too good to do that!

Your mistake is a learning curve for me too as I was thinking of spraying all my markings on my Brit Phantom as well.  Makes you realize how easy these guys make it look and that I would probably make the same mistakes as you when I do it as well.  Take it as a learning, cool down and in a day or 2 you will have fresh eyes to look at it differently.  Easier said than done...I know.

You are so close mate, and she's a stunner!  C'mon get to the finish line, dont let this stop you.

Cheers Anthony 

Hi Anthony, I promise I won't bin it, thank you for the kind words. 

Will get back to it in a few days, if work permits.

Rick