F4J Phantom Tamiya

vvwse4

14 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

That has come out really nice, I should get one and try and start learning for my Brit Phantom.  The results look really spot on Rick!  I is hard beat the painted on look.

Keep up the inspiration for me and such a great build

Cheers Anthony

Thanks, You cannot get any worse with computers and printers than me so no problem for you I guess. But it sure looks nice when done.

The inspiration you get from me is the same as I get from your build!!

Cheers Rick

1 hour ago, vvwse4 said:

Thanks, You cannot get any worse with computers and printers than me so no problem for you I guess. But it sure looks nice when done.

The inspiration you get from me is the same as I get from your build!!

Cheers Rick

Well I wouldnt be so sure about the computer thing!  But seeing your results I think it will be the way forward for my builds.

Glad we are both pushing each other to forge on...that's what I love about LSP!

Cheers

Anthony

• 4 weeks later...

I am still on this one, progres the usual snale pace I am aftraid.

Painted the anti glare panel and made a start with the rear of the plane. A lot of masking involved but not to bad when I took it off.

DSCN3536

DSCN3537

DSCN3538

DSCN3541

DSCN3547

DSCN3548

Also been working on the payload, mostly decalling.

DSCN3554

DSCN3555

DSCN3556

DSCN3560

So this is where I am at the moment. Still tons of work to do.

Hope you like it,

Rick

Rick, that looks sensational buddy.  Whats not to like about that Grey over white scheme, it sure is nice and such a great canvas for the range of markings available.

Great work indeed, and will look 'mean as' all loaded up.

Great inspiration for me, thank you sir!

Cheers Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Still working on the Phantom, I am using the AOA decals for the stencilling ( a lot of no step, push and so on...) and I am still struggling, well maybe fighting with my Silhouette, well the software to make the masks for the insigna's, the band with the stars, the numbers and the tail. I want to make the VMFA-451 bird.

49950702013_6be524e412_b.jpg

I could use some help?

Rick

very nice work

i have done a lot of masks and decals for my builds. my advice for this sheme would be to draw and print decals, since you would get by by printing the blue/white part on white sheet, the black letters/numbers on clear sheet. or are you dead set on maks? the VMFA lettering will,be very hard to do by mask.

hth

karl

22 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi,

Still working on the Phantom, I am using the AOA decals for the stencilling ( a lot of no step, push and so on...) and I am still struggling, well maybe fighting with my Silhouette, well the software to make the masks for the insigna's, the band with the stars, the numbers and the tail. I want to make the VMFA-451 bird.

49950702013_6be524e412_b.jpg

I could use some help?

Rick

Rick I cant help, but that is one cool scheme!  One of my all time favorite Marines schemes, great choice!

On 10/29/2020 at 7:56 AM, blackbetty said:

very nice work

i have done a lot of masks and decals for my builds. my advice for this sheme would be to draw and print decals, since you would get by by printing the blue/white part on white sheet, the black letters/numbers on clear sheet. or are you dead set on maks? the VMFA lettering will,be very hard to do by mask.

hth

karl

Hi Karl,

I am dead set on masks. Just because I always screw up decals no matter what. 

I looks like I am getting there, spent a lot of time behind the computer in stead of the bench I am afraid...

Rick

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

No way around it.  Fun tho  :thumbsup:

Hi Mike,

Well the only real fun thing about a computer is being here.....sometimes I really think they invented those things only to piss me off, which they quite often do :blowup:

The result of those computerhours.

DSCN3810

A very funny screen to begin with

DSCN3806

DSCN3808

And after all those hours 15 minutes of airbrushing and the removal of the masks.

DSCN3811

DSCN3812

DSCN3817

Not too bad from a distance

DSCN3824

DSCN3815

DSCN3816

Macro is a *****.....the small letters were not easy, maybe too small. The others came out pritty good.

DSCN3821

The other side looks better. I think I can patch that up. 

Conclusion: it is a hell of a way to avoid decals but it is not too bad looking either. I used up 3 A4 size pieces of masking because I can't seem to get the size right without printing them, haven't figured out how to do that yet, so not a cheap way also to avoid decals. But it kept me buzzy from quite some time....

I sprayed the stabilazor white. Now making mask for that one...

Rick

Edited by vvwse4