F4J Phantom Tamiya

vvwse4

11 hours ago, AlbertD said:

It looks like the cockpit and intake's went in well. The engines look great too.

How did you resolve the fit issue at the front, bottom of the fuselage? 

Hi Albert,

I cut off the kit part at the drawn line and by doing that the whole thing moved forward and that problem was solved. Still do not know what went wrong but is was the solution at the end. Offcourse I made the cut not straight so some filling was required but that was easily fixed.

50036349616_6b30c1f2db_k.jpg

Edited by vvwse4

6 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Albert,

I cut off the kit part at the drawn line and by doing that the whole thing moved forward and that problem was solved. Still do not know what went wrong but is was the solution at the end. Offcourse I made the cut not straight so some filling was required but that was easily fixed.

50036349616_6b30c1f2db_k.jpg

Were there any fit issues near the back of the fuselage after your adjustment? Sorry for all the questions but I will be starting this kit tomorrow with the resin one piece intakes. I plan to do a build log for it. I hope you are able to follow along.

6 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Really nice cockpit and other details.  Your work is very nice and clean.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thank you Chuck.

Using your F4 buils as a reference sure helps so I am glad you approve my work. Personally I think I am not even a little close to your level which is exceptionally good in my book. But I am having fun and that is where all of this is about.

Rick

9 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Were there any fit issues near the back of the fuselage after your adjustment? Sorry for all the questions but I will be starting this kit tomorrow with the resin one piece intakes. I plan to do a build log for it. I hope you are able to follow along.

Hi Albert,

Yes there were, offcourse ......The intake parts were not the problem, they fitted like a glove. The exhaust parts were a different story. I had to thin out the kit part as wel as the burnercan. The kit cans have a strut which you place with a screw to the fuselage, the aftermarket had none. So I made a jig wit Evergreen to align them and after that I used CA glue to fix the burnercans. While attaching the bottom wingpart I discovered that I had to thin the parts much more so in the end I had to use a large clamp and a lot of force to get it together. So if you use aftermarket exhaust parts you really need to thin them a lot. Like I said earlier I still do not know what I did wrong with the intake in the first place but I fixed it in the end.

Hope this helps

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally some benchtime, broke out the airbrush and went to work. First white.

DSCN3287 DSCN3288 DSCN3294

That went on easy, after that the gray part 

DSCN3284 DSCN3286

You know the little voice in the back of your head which tries to tell you something? Well that voice told me that I might use the wrong colour. But I checked the jar and it said US Navy. Yeah but the small print said F14, A4 and also F4. But that colour was used many years later......F..K!!!!

Well somebody here had a good laugh about it, the same one who says why bother those small parts nothing will be seen when you're done. So I had to start all over and I found the right colour. 

DSCN3289 DSCN3291 DSCN3292 DSCN3297 DSCN3295

Got rid of the meander because I did not like the look of it. Well it was a weekend well spend, one step forward and two back......

Rick

Edited by vvwse4
Used the wrong link for the pictures

Been working with the Silhouette printer. Not that very good at it but I am getting there. The first output:

DSCN3322

DSCN3321

DSCN3323

DSCN3326

Also made the black rectangle on the Zunipods as described in Albert's build.

DSCN3320

And offcourse a lot of taping and preparations, 10 minutes airbrushing and the paper bin gets the rest....

I was trying to use dry transfers from Hobbydecal for the stencilling but I ended up with rubbing the paint of, so I stopped that. Guess I wil use regular decals for those.

Rick