Looking at getting a Tamiya 1/32 Jet. Which one?

AlbertD

I only have room for one LS jet and an thinking of either a Tamiya F-4J of F-16. I want it to be a centerpiece of my collection so I want to do it right from the start. Any thoughts?

Mike, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I love the F-4's but want to end up with a showpiece in the end no matter which one. I've read some reviews of both but a comparison from people who's word I trust means more. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

F-16 then F-15. The F-4 is good, but has some warts. Don't overlook the Academy F-18C (or D) either, its on the same level (give or take) as the Tamiya F-16.

Any thoughts on where the F-14 fits in to the group? That's my all time favorite jet but the reviews I have read don't sound that great.

The Tamiya F-14 is ancient in modeling years, I believe it came out in the late 70's or early 80's, with a slightly updated version coming out in the 90's. I think it was their first 1/32 jet. I would go the Trumpeter route if you really wanted a Tomcat.

3 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

The Tamiya F-14 is ancient in modeling years, I believe it came out in the late 70's or early 80's, with a slightly updated version coming out in the 90's. I think it was their first 1/32 jet. I would go the Trumpeter route if you really wanted a Tomcat.

There are always the Tamiya speculation threads but maybe with the beautiful 1/48 version they will do a new 1/32 F-14 one of these days. I have the Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ block 50 on the bench right now and it is for sure a nice kit. I just fit an Aires resin cockpit (fairly easy fit) and have the Eduard engine set. If the 1/32 is as nice I would probably go for it. I'll have to put a listing in the traders forum for a trade for a couple of my extra WnW kits.

1/48th F-16 is based on their 1/32nd kit. Both really good. F-14 was Tamiya's first large scale aircraft and needs a lot of help. The F-16 would be a centerpiece to be proud of. The F-15  would be next, but the F-16 is the most recent Tamiya jet and is a step up in my opinion. The Academy F-16 Sufa kit is also really nice, but needs a few corrections. Another good one is Academy's legacy F-18 series, very good.

2 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Mike, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I love the F-4's but want to end up with a showpiece in the end no matter which one. I've read some reviews of both but a comparison from people who's word I trust means more. Thank you.

Mike who?

44 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

There are always the Tamiya speculation threads but maybe with the beautiful 1/48 version they will do a new 1/32 F-14 one of these days...

Yes, that's what most of us jet-heads want. 

The Trumpeter Tomcat costs upwards of £200 if you take the lazy route and use Zactomodels inlets, bladders and missile rack bits, and upwards of £300 by the time you get decals, Aires gear, Eduard stuff, metal pitot/AOA spike and Reskit wheels. 

By comparison, the Tamiya F-16C is OOB. Maybe some new decals, and resin pylon stuff (if needed), but it's really a bargain at £120.

For £ you can read $. Think they're worth about the same at the moment given US prices are slightly lower.

Enjoy

Tony 

Hi Albert

5 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I only have room for one LS jet and an thinking of either a Tamiya F-4J of F-16. I want it to be a centerpiece of my collection so I want to do it right from the start. Any thoughts?

I have a slightly different sentiment to my models, I value the ones I worked on to get a good result more. It really depends on your style of modeling. If you want a no frills, easy build, get the F-16 from Tamiya. In my collection I like my Iranian F-4E the most as it took much more work and research to get it right.

Happy modeling

Nick

7 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Albert

I have a slightly different sentiment to my models, I value the ones I worked on to get a good result more. It really depends on your style of modeling. If you want a no frills, easy build, get the F-16 from Tamiya. In my collection I like my Iranian F-4E the most as it took much more work and research to get it right.

Happy modeling

Nick

Great philosophy Nick. 

I might really love the rough-as-guts Trumpeter MiG-21F-13 when eventually Finnish'ed with blue roundels. Have been wrestling with it off and on for fifteen years, and it's 70% done, the worst parts conquered (allegedly). For a small jet fighter it's a surprisingly heavy model with its metal legs, cast radar cone inlet and lead diving shot Araldite'd into the nose. 

Albert, you have the advantage of internal-USA postage from Sprue Brothers not being a passion killer, and the Tamiya F-4J is pretty fine with GT Resin seamless inlets and correctly proportioned jet cans. Not OOB inside, given the need for a slightly upgraded cockpit (Eduard and bits of scrap) but the airframe is good with the aforementioned suck and blow GT Resin add-ons. Lots of potentially colourful schemes too.

Enjoy it, whichever you opt for in the end,

Tony 

7 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Albert

Happy modeling

Nick

You have a good point. I'm just now getting to the point in my skills to do modifications to a kit like fitting a resin cockpit and adding detail.