Sign in to follow this  
cbk57

"The Scale Model Podcast" episode 47

Hi All

We often discuss on here whether manufacturers listen to what we post or talk about.  There is a very interesting interview in this episode.  You have to go well into the episode before the interview.  It is with a Armor related publisher named History in Motion.  I think it is like the last 30 minutes.  Anyway the person they are interviewing has done a lot of work with Meng Models on some of their subjects.  Mainly in the armor field, but he said the chinese manufacturers will often throw out cad drawings to find out what is wrong, then make adjustments.  They will also throw out things they know are wrong in preproduction to see who is watching and looking.  Some of the manufacturers though are paying close attention to forums like ours in an effort to gauge interest or use the forum as a research tool to check their work before release.  This was more in the context of armor models but had some great perspective in it.  

Posted (edited)

Interview starts at 1:01. 

https://scalemodelpodcast.com/podcast/scale-model-podcast-ep-47-anthony-sewards-history-in-motion/

The guest has served in the Canadian Army and is a tanker.  The first 24 minutes or so discusses that.

The model discussion gets going around 1:25.

He mentions how the manufacturers will put out photos early, so that they can get feedback from the "rivet counters and trolls" on what is wrong.  They will also put out Easter eggs in digital renders, deliberately making things wrong, so that they can gauge if anyone is paying attention or how much feedback a project is going to receive.

What I found most interesting is that the guest straight up said the companies he has worked with (quite a few) have an A, B, and C team that will work on projects, depending on its importance.  Some better than others.  

We have always joked here about the Trumpeter "B" team where they put out a less than perfect kit--this guy just confirmed that exists for real.

He has worked a lot specifically with MENG.

I find that really interesting as I have made a number of MENG armor kits.  Some are some of the best kits  I have ever made of any subject in any scale.  The M3A3 Bradley comes to mind--what an awesome kit.

But others are not nearly as good; their new Königstiger comes to mind--it's still a good kit, but nowhere near the level of the Bradley.

The interviewers are quite annoying; they chime in constantly and disrupt the flow, speaking over each other and the guest needlessly and constantly.

Still an interesting listen.

Edited by ringleheim

Hahahaha:D the one interviewer is the president of our IPMS chapter here in London and the other is the AMPS president.

I will agree one is an annoying twit the other is a good guy.

Don

I have started listening to these podcasts during my bench time.  I follow four of them, this one, On the Bench, Scale Model Shed, and Plastic Model Mojo.  I find aspects I enjoy from each personally.  Scale Model Podcast for whatever its flaws has had some really good interviews.  I think they are the ones that interviewed Scott from Hobby Link Japan.  They also had a great two part interview with the guy that does the  tank art series, Mike Rinaldi in episodes 43 and 44.  He does discuss his take somewhat on large scale planes as a subject.  From a publishing standpoint he does not like them much as they take too long to build..

I'm Stuart one of the hosts of The Scale Model Podcast.  Thanks for your comments about the show and guests.

cbk57: We do hope to have Anthony Seward back at some point to discuss further some of the behind the scenes of how companies do their research.  We have heard from other sources that this is happening more and more, particularly from some of the newer companies on the scene.

ringleheim: My apologies for us talking over each other, since the pandemic imposed locked downs we are doing the show remotely. This means there is sometimes network issues and it affects the delay time.  We know something even when we are in person it happened.   and it is something we are aware of and trying to be better at.

dong: I kinda hope I'm the good guy...

To conclude we are planning to get more guests from the industry side as that is one of our main focuses on the podcast.  The hobby is constantly changing and evolving and we hope to be able to bring more of it out into the open.

Thanks

Stuart.

This seems to be  a window into how some chinese model companies develop and refine kits during the selection process. The validation of the A, B and C team is interesting.

I'd prefer to see some more relating to our scale. We have had some very nice kits released, but also some real dogs. I'd also like to hear a bit regarding WNW  influence in the model industry as a whole and 1/32 airplanes in particular.

5 hours ago, Stuart Clark said:

dong: I kinda hope I'm the good guy....

Yes Stuart you are the good guy :thumbsup:

Don

On 6/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, Stuart Clark said:

I'm Stuart one of the hosts of The Scale Model Podcast.  Thanks for your comments about the show and guests.

cbk57: We do hope to have Anthony Seward back at some point to discuss further some of the behind the scenes of how companies do their research.  We have heard from other sources that this is happening more and more, particularly from some of the newer companies on the scene.

ringleheim: My apologies for us talking over each other, since the pandemic imposed locked downs we are doing the show remotely. This means there is sometimes network issues and it affects the delay time.  We know something even when we are in person it happened.   and it is something we are aware of and trying to be better at.

To conclude we are planning to get more guests from the industry side as that is one of our main focuses on the podcast.  The hobby is constantly changing and evolving and we hope to be able to bring more of it out into the open.

Thanks

Stuart.

Thanks for your work on the podcast,  I have really come to enjoy listinening to modleing podcasts while I work.  Interviews with industry folks are among my favorites.  I think you guys had Mike Rinaldi on also and that was another great one.  

On 6/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, Stuart Clark said:

Thanks

Stuart.

The Anthony stewards interview really inspired me to try something different.  I have not done much modern armor, but i have my own Canadian connection as my wife is one.  So This got me going on the idea of building Anthony Sewards mexas tank as it meets my chief modeling requirements.  I need a story to go with my models.  I like personalization whether it be.a German fighter, a race car or.a tank.  I need it to tell a story.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:59 AM, cbk57 said:

The Anthony stewards interview really inspired me to try something different.  I have not done much modern armor, but i have my own Canadian connection as my wife is one.  So This got me going on the idea of building Anthony Sewards mexas tank as it meets my chief modeling requirements.  I need a story to go with my models.  I like personalization whether it be.a German fighter, a race car or.a tank.  I need it to tell a story.

Looking forward to seeing the result!