1/32 Corsair F4U-1A Boyington 883

turbo

“Wow” is the first word that comes to my mind.  It’s hard to create something unique with this kit with so many terrific Corsairs out there already.  You definitely have.  The best part to me is your weathering which is stunning.  What method did you use to chip the paint on the wings?  You nailed it.

Cheers

Chuck

I remember this build, Kirby!  Yes, the kit is amazing but the work you performed on her is wonderful!  I think watching this build unfold planted the seed in my mind to try and tackle the Tamiya F4U-1a kit myself. Thank you for the inspiration!

On 6/1/2020 at 7:41 PM, CZPetrP said:

WOW, beautiful. Very nice surface and weathering.:goodjob:

On 6/2/2020 at 12:11 AM, Grissom said:

Kirby,

Put down that hammer - you nailed it!    Beautiful work.

Cheers,

Wayne

12 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

That is something very special.

a lot of talent on display with your Corsair Kirby- nicely done!

cheers

Pete

Thanks very much Petr, Wayne and Pete, appreciate it! 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:34 AM, chuck540z3 said:

“Wow” is the first word that comes to my mind.  It’s hard to create something unique with this kit with so many terrific Corsairs out there already.  You definitely have.  The best part to me is your weathering which is stunning.  What method did you use to chip the paint on the wings?  You nailed it.

Cheers

Chuck

Thanks very much for your kind words Chuck. Chipping on the wings was double layer hairspray using aluminium and zinc chromate primer colours. A trick was to use Tamiya Flat Aluminium as the base rather than a shiny metalizer and thin hairspray layers which gave the top coat some grip resulting in smaller and more controllable chips.

wings-chipped-zoom-web.jpg

On 6/2/2020 at 1:22 AM, Wolf Buddee said:

Brilliant piece of work Kirby!

Paint and weathering are beautifully rendered. I hope mine turns out as well as yours has..

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf, I'll back you in from what I've seen!

8 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I remember this build, Kirby!  Yes, the kit is amazing but the work you performed on her is wonderful!  I think watching this build unfold planted the seed in my mind to try and tackle the Tamiya F4U-1a kit myself. Thank you for the inspiration!

Thanks John, your builds have been an inspiration to me too so glad I could return the favour!

Thanks everybody for the kind comments, very humbling coming from the great builders around here!

Hi Turbo, great result! Love the fuel stains and all round grubbiness, my style of weathering, so much to look at.

Is there a WIP thread? Would love to see the painting process and weathering.

Cheers Bevan 

On 6/3/2020 at 4:03 PM, Scale32 said:

Hi Turbo, great result! Love the fuel stains and all round grubbiness, my style of weathering, so much to look at.

Is there a WIP thread? Would love to see the painting process and weathering.

Cheers Bevan 

Thanks a lot Bevan! Have sent you a DM.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:24 PM, Miloslav1956 said:

Very nice Corsair!:clap2::clap2:

Thanks a lot Miloslav, love your models too! 

• turbo changed the title to 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A Boyington 883
  • 5 months later...