Out2gtcha

Saying goodbye to a Sweetheart

I happened to click on the link at the right time and got to watch the swooping in the end. 

FWIW, I broke the news to my wife about my intentions of driving or selling.  Damn, that was a mistake.  She's already trying to spend the money and I haven't even cranked the car up in the garage yet.  :wacko:

On 6/3/2020 at 11:10 PM, The Dude said:

Very cool bud but sad to see it go.. One word of advice if I may... Unless it is a widely known shop or reputable dealer/person do the transaction at or through your bank to make sure any cash or a check are legit. Nothing would suck more than hand over a title in exchange for a fraudulent check or counterfeit cash. I had that happen once to me a long time ago luckily it was  'only' $500. 

On 6/3/2020 at 11:42 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks!

Yes, for sure. It is in fact a very well known dealer, but they are doing a bank transfer directly to my savings account prior to handing anything over.

That is good. I unfortunately went through this and learned the hard way with my first classic car. Had a 62 Falcon that my father and I purchased for $50, so we could tinker together. Some 20 years later, I set about restoring it. Had orders to a new duty station and had what I thought was a reputable shop, that I contracted to do the paint work while I was stationed overseas. Finally came home to find out that the owner was actually a VERY unscrupulous character and was murdered in a drug deal /debts gone bad in Idaho.  The govt seized everything and sold it off while and I had no clue. Came home to find all this out and realize that not only was my car likely crushed, but I was out about 4 grand.  Tough lesson to learn, but do the research prior to doing any work/selling a classic.

On my mustang I was able to find a guy in Leavenworth KS, who worked for pennies on the dollar compared to bigger shops, and to this day I've never seen anyone match his metal work. (to the point of doing lead instead of Bondo). He had about 10 different cars on the cover of Hot Rods and Classic Cars etc. He kept log books of the work and recorded his work by video and camera, so there was never a doubt as to the work or quality you were being charged for.

Glad it's going to work out well for you!

-Peter

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Well shes gone.............

20200604_115301-X2.jpg

Not exactly the way I would have chosen to haul it 130 miles back to Des Moines, but hey ho, its all they had.    Goodbye Belle, and know youll go to a good home!

bummer man.. I agree on the hauling it off budget style though....:blink: :blink: 

Well at least it has some good company on the way to the new home. 69 Camaro SS restomod 4x4 style :lol:

PS: It seems that when a gear head sell off a car like this its a comparable feeling to and grown child leaving home for the last time out on their own... 

Edited by The Dude

9 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

My biggest and most sincere hope is that the money it generated, goes to a worthwhile cause that benefits you for years, Brian.

Yep! A new (to us) automatic AWD Honda or Toyota for the wife, and the rest is needed to go into the house so we can update and fix it to move.

On 5/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, James Rademaker said:

Brian,  beautiful ride my friend. Reminds me of my 70 Chevy Camaro. Unfortunately, it was way too expensive with two gas crunches of the 70’s. Oh, to be 20 again and driving with your hair on fire .

Good luck,

Jim

Oh to be 20 again and HAVE hair to set on fire!!  :clap2:

Long-time lurker on the site... I had a 66 Mustang 289 I gave up long ago and still think about it so I know what it feels like, but surely it can't be just me that thinks the thread should now turn to WNW and beer? :deadhorse:

Yeah I know, really lousy intro, but hey :D :DodgeBall: