1/32 Mig-29C (9.13) Ukrainian "55"

Marcel111

Thanks for all the encouragement!

I used Archer rivets to simulate the very prominent fasteners around the windscreen. Not entirely realistic since those are mostly countersunk cross-head screws but there was no way I was going to press into the resin and risk the windscreen chipping and breaking.

VBgbJt.jpg

I'm using Gunze Gloss blues, really hard to snap pics with my IPhone without nasty glare. On the other hand, washing should be super easy, no need for a gloss coat.

zsWQua.jpg

Notice how the light blue at the front is lighter than the light blue at the back. This is the case on the actual aircraft, presumably front and back were painted from two different buckets of light blue.

5tlOgD.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

The tiger stripes are on! In case any of you will be using Jim's masks, you actually need to spray the dark blue on first, I initially got the painting order wrong. Also, I am not quite sure what was going on with the mid-blue masks, I ended up doing those myself, which is easy to do once the main shapes are down using the AMS masks.

0Zkr7B.jpg

I used Gunze glossy blues because they are a very good match (to my eye) and I also really like working with the gray TPS Gunze colors, which are satin. However, these blues don't behave quite the same way, they take forever to really harden. If you look closely a the pics you'll see what appears like adhesive from the masking tape on the paint, but it's actually the surface of the paint having been affected by the mask. It's very subtle and unnoticible to the touch, so I hope that some layers of X-22 and possibly some micro-mesh sanding will take care of it. The final coat will be semi-flat and will therefore presumable hide this in any case.

ulqLQu.jpg

Magnification of the nose area. I really like how those vents turned out... somewhat beaten up like the real deal.

Ps6nEb.jpg

Overall view... phew that looks gaudy in the glossy finish.

Cheers,

Marcel

The wash is on! And boy does it make the model look better since it tones down the gaudiness of the paint a little.

ZxtM7b.jpg

U2PYEP.jpg

Ewu1rC.jpg

I really like the way this project is starting to look. At this point it's all coming together exactly as planned, which is quite rare for me, there is usually some flaw here or there.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, unfortunately I managed to mess this project up right on the last stretch. I'm eating major humble pie since I have previously boasted about how bullet proof my decal application process is using Future. I used Future as always but I was using a pretty old and therefore thick jar of the stuff... I should have simply thinned it down with water. Instead, on just a few tiny decals on top of the wings, I applied too much which left kind of a transparent blob underneath the decals. You'd think that all it would take would be some sanding, repainting and problem solved. However, sanding results in the base blue paint peeling off like a lemon peel, leaving a noticeable ridge to the surround. For the life of me I just cannot get a smooth surface and it's right in a high visibility area of the model.

At this point I have just lost motivation for the model, I cannot get myself to throw some of the sub assemblies that turned out really well, such as the exhausts, on a model that will now not be as perfect as I would want it to be. Instead, I have started tinkering with building a Mig-29SMT. But that will be a story for a different thread.

Cheers,

Marcel