1/32 Mig-29C (9.13) Ukrainian "55"

Marcel111

Hi guys, quick update on where I am with this. Lot's of work happening but nothing terribly flashy to show off, but here goes anyway.

I used the Cold War Studio photo etch set for the gun vents, those vents alone justify purchase of the set IMO. I did cut the front vent piece down because I would be concerned with such a large piece remaining in place with superglue. Downside of that approach is that the etch part needs to be blended in with the surrounds but I think with superglue and very careful sanding I'm pretty much there.

Xm6DsZ.jpg

The Zacto dispensers provide far more detail and have a corrected shape vs the kit parts. They fit perfectly. Note that I built up the surrounding area since that's the way it looks on the real thing.

I have spent a lot of time on the airbrake. Nick, in his seminal Trumpeter Mig-29 WIP, did a great job displaying the airbrake open and making this a feature of his Mig. I won't be taking it that far, but the trailing edge requires substantial thinning to avoid a toy-like look and as you can see the hinged arms also received a lot of attention. The parachute housing of the kit is also a poor affair that has been binned, it will be replaced with something scratch built.

yoaywO.jpg

v9S1XH.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Thats some superfine work going on there Marcel.  Love the update, and I KNOW you would have spent a lot of time on those parts...well done buddy, as always I admire your work!

Thanks for the update and inspiration.  I can appreciate the work gone in with little to show....

I've spent a bunch more time on the gun vents to get a smooth transition from the etch part to the surrounding area. I'm finally pleased with the result:

MjOISb.jpg

This little intake is from the Zacto set for the Revell kit, which I bought a long time ago.
F4J3Tq.jpg

This is how that  plating around the dispensers looks like right now.
7aWJcd.jpg

Airbrake is about done... yes, it looks that rudimentary in reality also:
2PeWIe.jpg
Ex2QaY.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

I have been using Archer raised detail to get some more surface depth into the model. The real thing is pretty rough and Trumpeter adopted a very conservative approach to surface detail, even if some feature is raised, the kit tends to present it as finely scribed. I'm not complaining at all since I'd much rather have it this way than the other way around. The raised detail I added isn't always perfectly accurate but I'm more interested in achieving the overall feel of the real thing.

nvCh6p.jpg

The engine nacelles have a big hinge and and are noticeably sort of separate from the undersides. I initially tried to make the large fasteners from punched styrene but that looked like little warts on the airplane. Next I tried to stamp in the detail but the kit plastic is very thin here so I punched right through the plastic... ouch! So out came the Archer fasteners. This is not truly accurate but after all the time I have spent I'm fine with this.

WjkQvW.jpg

And this is how the underside looks now. The bright blue colors were only applied on the upper side, the lower gray looks quite dirty and worn.

SZGPzp.jpg

A little more work on this:

frkMG1.jpg

And now I have to get this sorted out:

ExMqsj.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Phew, that last post was pretty unflattering so time for a quick update.

First off about that windscreen: The fit of the Trumpeter kit is generally very good. The reason why neither the kit windscreen nor the CWS windscreen fit is that the CWS IP coaming is in the way. So I have been aggressively sanding away the coaming for the windscreen(s) to fit. I'll be using the CWS windscreen since it corrects the little lip things either side of the front windscreen corners. The CWS after-market are a must-have for this kit IMO, but they take a lot of work. I think the cockpit has in the order of 70 parts.

Because the CWS windscreen is quite delicate, I intend to almost entirely finish the underside of the jet (incl. wash) before completing the cockpit and attaching the windcsreen.

WpoYtE.jpg

Those lower sections are removable to enable engine access and they really look it. Note the little notch in the trailing egde which adds to the look.

Jd3FcH.jpg

Little exhaust added:

SJ8a5Z.jpg

Note streaks around nose area... as seen on the real thing (done using a piece of spares box photo etch and pre-shading):

7vrmqi.jpg

I added an actuator rod...

tZmtvU.jpg

I'm happy with the way the Archer rivets look:

7r8Pex.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

• 3 weeks later...

The underside is now washed, with a gloss coat to lock that in. A different approach but I want to minimize the time I have to lay the model on it's back with the windscreen glued in since the CWS windscreen seems a bit fragile.

WDd403.jpg

Speaking of the windscreen, here is where I am with that:

1mzoLJ.jpg

The blemished parts won't be visible since they are part of the frame and will be painted. Quite an effort to get it this far and as you can see quite a bit of work left to get it to look clean.

I had to polish the inside of the windscreen with Tamiya polish using a tissue attached to a toothpick since something had stuck there during the arduous process of attaching the clear part. The white polish residue visible on the cooling ribs has since been eliminated by dropping some black wash on there.

Cheers,

Marcel