1/32 Mig-29C (9.13) Ukrainian "55"

Marcel111

Hi guys, here are a few I Phone pics to prove that this build is alive and well. I have run into a few challenges but am really enjoying the kit.

This part of the CWS cockpit fit is ok... needs quite a bit of filling and sanding but that's no problem on this section.

Cu4iGU.jpg

The LERX extension as it is right now. I must say I thought this would be a lot easier than it is turning out to be, getting the right contour seems to be almost impossible.

H2xtJC.jpg

I am using the Zacto exhausts which are incredible. My approach to replicating the various shades of silver, gold, violet and blue on the exhausts was to spray a color and then mask off some sections and spots with liquid mask... note that the color transitions are hard so I am not keen on a soft-edges, airbrushed transition.

Incidentally, this product worked really well:

ZeIIcp.jpg

Before starting to remove the liquid mask, things looked quite promising:

wN3k23.jpg

However, I then struggled to remove the liquid mask and when I did it left a slight ridge. So back to the drawing board, fortunately Christ (Zacto) sent me some replacement outer exhaust sections so that I can easily start over without losing too much time and exhaust detail.

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

First, really cool subject, its about time someone did a 1/32 MiG-29 here.  In regard to the problem of the LERX, I have an idea.  I encountered a somewhat similar issue with 'Projekt Flanker' (A large Kilp Yavr Russian Air base diorama, with (3) 1/32 Su-27 Flankers (loaded with all the aftermarket), (1) 1/35 Mi-8 Hip, and various ground vehicles, equipment, tarmac, a little terrain that I will try to add my first WIP entry here this weekend, its been well underway for a while now and I have 2 of the Su-27s almost ready to prime, I have to go back and add rivet and panel line detail to one I started painting so its like the other two, to make them look uniform and realistic) anyhow, sorry I digressed there for a moment.  Please see below for my idea.

You see, the kit leading edge slats of the Su-27s lack the little 'bulged' 'extensions' near the wing root so I mixed some superfine white milliput (finer grain white allows better sanding) and made a little larger VERY rough shape of the extension (it aligns with a panel line so its a little easier getting the position and shape right) and then I drew in pencil where I wanted the leading edge of the new bulge to be, to aid in sanding it uniformly on both sides.  I then VERY slowly began sanding it down to shape until it seamlessly blended with the slat.  

You could try taking some milliput and apply it larger than you'd need as a long 'snake' and put it there for where the LERX extension shims are and then sand it to the shape you want, the stuff dries ROCK hard (think like CA glue does).  Or you could cut little 'bulkheads' that would outline the  cross-section of the shape you need and attach those to the kit and then add the milliput.  The bulkheads would act as a guide for how to sand it.

In case you weren't aware Zactoman has some really great 1/32 MiG-29 stuff for the NEW trumpeter mig-29s you might want to check out.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2020 at 6:19 AM, dsahling1 said:

First, really cool subject, its about time someone did a 1/32 MiG-29 here.  In regard to the problem of the LERX, I have an idea.  I encountered a somewhat similar issue with 'Projekt Flanker' (A large Kilp Yavr Russian Air base diorama, with (3) 1/32 Su-27 Flankers (loaded with all the aftermarket), (1) 1/35 Mi-8 Hip, and various ground vehicles, equipment, tarmac, a little terrain that I will try to add my first WIP entry here this weekend, its been well underway for a while now and I have 2 of the Su-27s almost ready to prime, I have to go back and add rivet and panel line detail to one I started painting so its like the other two, to make them look uniform and realistic) anyhow, sorry I digressed there for a moment.  Please see below for my idea.

You see, the kit leading edge slats of the Su-27s lack the little 'bulged' 'extensions' near the wing root so I mixed some superfine white milliput (finer grain white allows better sanding) and made a little larger VERY rough shape of the extension (it aligns with a panel line so its a little easier getting the position and shape right) and then I drew in pencil where I wanted the leading edge of the new bulge to be, to aid in sanding it uniformly on both sides.  I then VERY slowly began sanding it down to shape until it seamlessly blended with the slat.  

You could try taking some milliput and apply it larger than you'd need as a long 'snake' and put it there for where the LERX extension shims are and then sand it to the shape you want, the stuff dries ROCK hard (think like CA glue does).  Or you could cut little 'bulkheads' that would outline the  cross-section of the shape you need and attach those to the kit and then add the milliput.  The bulkheads would act as a guide for how to sand it.

In case you weren't aware Zactoman has some really great 1/32 MiG-29 stuff for the NEW trumpeter mig-29s you might want to check out.

Dan, thx for the tips and apologies for the belated response. With this Mig I actually used plastic card as a base from which to sand down... the challenge isn't the material but more just getting the shape right, which I'm struggling with. Regarding the Zacto parts, Chris has equipped me well!

I just tonight glued the intakes onto the bottom fuselage, I snapped these pics before doing so.

Note the corrected, off-center "wedge" between intake and fuselage. The wedge is symmetrical on the Trumpeter kit, which is plainly inaccurate.

c88Hn4.jpg

Also on the above pic, note that the intake leading edges are natural metal. I sprayed on a coat of Vallejo steel and masked off the sections that will be hard to paint after assembly.

I had to rebuild the lower leading edge since it became ever so slightly indented after sanding the intake trunking.

LNOWAN.jpg

The front of the RD-33's is nicely done by Trumpeter. I sprayed the compressor with Vallejo Jet Exhaust, the pics I have indicate these to have a pretty dark appearance.

0Igt7s.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

• 2 weeks later...

Here is where I am with the outer exhausts, basis of which are the beautifully done and correctly sized Zacto renditions. Chris sent me a spare set after I screwed up my first attempt... I tried to use liquid mask to create a splattered effect but just couldn't get the mask off, plus the paint would form a noticeable ridge at the demarkation in those instances where I was able to get the mask off.

For the below, I started the painting with an overall spray of half flat aluminum / jet exhaust mixture (all metallic colors are Vallejo acrylic). This to get a duller overall finish, applying glossy metallic over such a surface will still result in a flatter finish because the metallic paints go on so thin.

Next, I started applying various other metallic shades, at times using the Uschi splatter masks. Finally, I applied some old Alclad hot metal blue and violet shades. I found the blue to work really well while the violet would quickly clog my fine airbrush (went to the rough H&S instead) while the violet doesn't come through all that strongly.

I'm pretty pleased with the result.

336BZG.jpg

DJVgyV.jpg

Compared to the real thing, that is the Duke Hawkins book (a must-have for this build):
G34lUC.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Thanks guys!

I have completed the inside convergent/divergent section also. Incredible how the Zacto parts just fit into place perfectly, glue is almost optional.

These Vallejo acrylic metallic paints are a revelation. First of all they look great. They are also acrylic which suits me perfectly since I really hate using enamels and lacquers. But on top they can be mixed with Tamiya acrylic paints, which means color and dull variations are easily created.

jTq96m.jpg

Fwt7oN.jpg

L6TMxz.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

That exhaust effect is brilliant.  Honestly that (the complex burnt metal shading) is the one thing that terrifies me about trying to build a fighter jet (all my models so far are piston engine and prop).  I'll come back to this thread once I get my courage up...