1/32 Mig-29C (9.13) Ukrainian "55"

Marcel111

Hi guys,

Here goes my next project:

vFRYeK.jpg

(I found that pic on the net and it had no apparent copyright)

You'll find quite a few pics of this uniquely bright blue Mig on the web, eg:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ukraine-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29-9-13/2282629/L

Jim Sorensen, who must be one of the most helpful persons in the hobby and is just an all round rockstar, has made the requisite decals and masks for me:

JqzdEx.jpg

In case you're not familiar with what Jim does, have a look at his site:  http://advmodprds.com

More to follow.

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

And here is where I am with the build. The Trumpeter kit looks generally like a Mig-29C, has fine panel lines and is generally well engineered. But closer inspection reveals a host of improvement opportunities (as they say in the corporate classics). Madmax did a fantastic job addressing these in his A build with cunning, guile and all-round outstanding modelling skills. On this thread you'll see how problems can be solved using my wife's approach: Throw money at them. I have accumulated all manner of aftermarket goodies, which will be used.

I have cut out the cockpit perimeter to accommodate the Cold War Studio (CWS)  resin update, which looks fantastic out of the box. The gun vents are imo in need of urgent attention, it's a very high focus area of the model. The front vents will be done old-school style (cut out +  styrene strips), the rear vents will be done using that photo etch from CWS.

An issue that struck me the first time I saw pics of the kit is that the LERX are noticeably too short, they should initiate slightly in front of the IRST dome, but on the kit they start well behind the front of the windscreen. I'm attempting to fix this by pulling a shim forward, as seen in the pic below. Placing a shim between the LERX halves is a good idea anyway since the kit LERX is too thin, as Madmax pointed out in his build.

4ArEHW.jpg

That nose plug is from Zacto, it serves to spread the nose a little to thereby correct it, it comes with Chris' nose correction. As with everything Zacto does, the fit is almost magically perfect.

I'm using Tamiya Epoxy Putty Quick Set (it doesn't), superglue and regular filler to build up the area.

Wk5VEd.jpg

A major problem area of the kit is the engine nacelles. With the read deal, the nacelles have an almost neutral attitude, whereas with the kit they face down significantly in the direction of flight. Worse, they have large bumps before they peter off to the exhausts, which look badly wrong. I sanded them down aggressively (after depositing superglue on the inside) to at least somewaht rectify the shape. I am pretty pleased with the result (see below, already re-scribed). Madmax went further than me and also filled the sides to get a smoother transition to the surrounding plan-form, I didn't take things quite that far although his result is better.

Original nacelle profile:

D8eb02.jpg

Improved profile:

42GYNn.jpg

Phew, plenty to get my teeth into with this kit but it feels relatively easy to work with. On the one hand there are far fewer parts thanks to what seems like really nice engineering of the kit, on the other hand it's a pretty small airplane.

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

On 5/27/2020 at 9:49 PM, Marcel111 said:

Hi guys,

Here goes my next project:

vFRYeK.jpg

(I found that pic on the net and it had no apparent copyright)

You'll find quite a few pics of this uniquely bright blue Mig on the web, eg:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ukraine-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29-9-13/2282629/L

Jim Sorensen, who must be one of the most helpful persons in the hobby and is just an all round rockstar, has made the requisite decals and masks for me:

JqzdEx.jpg

In case you're not familiar with what Jim does, have a look at his site: www.advmodprds.com

More to follow.

Cheers,

Marcel

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

PS. And why not in the "pixel"?

P.P.S. FOXBOT product # FM32-002

High quality masks for digital camouflage for MiG-29 9-13 Ukranian Air Forces. Scale: 1/32.

Package includes:

• 3 mask sheets
  • Instruction

For use by Trumpeter, Revell Model Kits.(c) :ph34r:

23 hours ago, Breaker said:

Marcel, if your going for the twin tanks loadout, it's worth getting the Russian Weapons set that trumpeter do - you get two tanks in that. 

Thx Breaker, but I’ll be loading this up with Zactomodels’s beautiful missiles... which is realistic given that there are plenty of pics showing Ukrainian Mig’s of this timeframe with live missiles.

14 hours ago, blackbetty said:

will follow closely! i still have a soft spot for the 29, even after the revell kit...

Dood, that’s rough... I also had the whole Revell Zactomodels hyperbuild planned, thx goodness for this Trumpeter kit.

12 minutes ago, Hartmann52 said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

PS. And why not in the "pixel"?

P.P.S. FOXBOT product # FM32-002

High quality masks for digital camouflage for MiG-29 9-13 Ukranian Air Forces. Scale: 1/32.

Package includes:

• 3 mask sheets
  • Instruction

For use by Trumpeter, Revell Model Kits.(c) :ph34r:

I have a soft spot for blue fighters, so I love this scheme. My major modeling buddy over here will be building the pixel one almost in parallel with this build. I have to say though that I don’t see the point of producing a mask set when the corresponding decals are not available. 

Cheers,

Marcel

On 5/27/2020 at 9:15 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Most excellent!  The purple nose gear is a real oddity(BUT COOL!)

Brian, that gear color is actually the same blue as one of the camo blues... but yeah, it’s pretty out there.

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

14 hours ago, blackbetty said:

... i even built it....

If you get Zactomans full kit for the Revell one, it does build up for a pretty decent 9-12, mine is sitting next to my Tamiya F-15C. Just glad we have another big fulcrum option, and a 9-13 at that!

Edited by Crew Dog

• 2 weeks later...