Spitfire Mk24 - the best route?

Archimedes

9 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

With regards to the wings,  they were different than other marks previous to the Mk 21

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html/3

Yes, the wing was definitely different, however, the basic planform matched that of the original wing except near the tip.  If you look at Sheet no 1 of Arthur Bentley's drawing, the wing planform takes the extended high altitude wing tips, crop them and rounds off the edges to match the wingspan of the elliptical wing tips.  The Tamiya wing can therefore be used as a basis for a Mk. 21-24 conversion - as per Jumpei Temma's findings and SEafire 47 conversion.  It will need a total rescribe and a fair bit of cut and splice though...

https://www.albentley-drawings.com/drawings/british-aircraft/supermarine-spitfire/supermarine-spitfire/

You may be interested in Phil Listemann's booklet on the Spitfire F.24 (Allied wings 18):

https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/aw18-the-supermarine-spitfire-f-24/

This booklet has a photo of VN 496 on p. 21, and a profile of this machine at the end. Also note that late production F.24s used the same gear covers as the Seafire FR.47.

The reason for the different wings was because of increased stresses by the higher speeds of the Griffon Engine, two parallel wing studies were carried out one the Spiteful Laminar flow wing and a reinforcement of the original wing, both to achieve a higher rate of role and an aileron reversal speed ofa theoretical  850mph, i.e. the speed at which the wings flex and the Ailerons become ineffective. The Spiteful wings gave an instant 50mph advantage fitted to the Spitfire MK14 but this advantage was whittled away by half by the time alterations to it's low handling speeds were completed. The later MK21 wing was more successful and initially it had the same plan as the high altitude 'pointed tips' winged aircraft with the ailerons further out but these were nicely rounded off later at the production stage.

Graham

6 hours ago, pvanroy said:

You may be interested in Phil Listemann's booklet on the Spitfire F.24 (Allied wings 18):

https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/aw18-the-supermarine-spitfire-f-24/

This booklet has a photo of VN 496 on p. 21, and a profile of this machine at the end. Also note that late production F.24s used the same gear covers as the Seafire FR.47.

Useful - thanks! I compiled what I could of 80 squadron codes but VN496 was the one I could not pin down for sure until Kagemusha found it as T/N but it looks to be as a Royal Auxilliary Airforce airframe in those pictures. THis is what I have so far:

80 Squadron

W2-A  VN489/VN301

W2-B  VN312

W2-C  VN311

W2-D  VN309/VN319

W2-E  VN320

W2-F  VN318

W2-G  

W2-H  VN484

W2-J

W2-K

W2-L  VN308

W2-M VN495/PK678

W2-N  PK642/PK682

W2-P  VN317

W2-Q

W2-R

W2-S

W2-T  VN307

W2-U  PK***

W2-X

W2-Y

W2-Z

Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force

T/N  VN496

I hope that helps someone.  All have been verified from photographic evidence not simply profiles. 

Edited by Archimedes
Additional information

• 8 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, Ralph-D said:

I remember MasterCasters did also parts for the type 24, who knows more?

Is MasterCasters still in business? Been trying to find them. Thanks to Ray l got one of their Mk 22/24 cockpits and wish another one but their site seems to be down

Hacker

9 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

This would not be a problem if the three sets I saw were not underscaled!

Thierry, I don't think the parts are underscale so much as the Matchbox fuselage is overscale. My copy of the Mastercasters cockpit set had a few poorly moulded parts to it so I subbed in Tamiya parts and they were equally undersized.  I ended up increasing their width by gluing styrene strips along their outer edges. Not prefect but a better fit. I also tried an Aires set meant for the Tamiya kit but it was even smaller. 

I think that one of the sets designed for the Hasegawa kits might be a better option. 

Carl

4 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Thierry, I don't think the parts are underscale so much as the Matchbox fuselage is overscale. My copy of the Mastercasters cockpit set had a few poorly moulded parts to it so I subbed in Tamiya parts and they were equally undersized.  I ended up increasing their width by gluing styrene strips along their outer edges. Not prefect but a better fit. I also tried an Aires set meant for the Tamiya kit but it was even smaller. 

I think that one of the sets designed for the Hasegawa kits might be a better option. 

Carl

Possibly but a comparison between the original Tamiya parts and the resin copies showed the latter to be quite smaller (due to mold retraction I guess?). In any case I also added plastic shims on the perimeter.

11 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Possibly but a comparison between the original Tamiya parts and the resin copies showed the latter to be quite smaller (due to mold retraction I guess?). In any case I also added plastic shims on the perimeter.

There's definitely some shrinkage in the parts. 

I dug out the Seafire I was doing but gave up on as there's no way to make it accurate. 

I still have some of the Mastercasters pieces I'd planned to use. 

Here's the Mastercasters cockpit floor and side panel. 

PXL_20210212_180722489-600x450.jpg

The load floor with the Aires (for the Tamiya kit) side panel. 

PXL_20210212_180737456-600x450.jpg

And compared to the stock Tamiya side panel. 

PXL_20210212_180748736-600x450.jpg

In the end, I got as far as stealing the entire cockpit from a Tamiya kit and shimming it as needed to make it fit. 

PXL_20210212_182004317-600x450.jpg

PXL_20210212_182016370-600x450.jpg

PXL_20210212_181920354-600x450.jpg

As an aside, I tried the IP from the PCM XIV kit and it's almost a drop fit. Needs a quick sanding towards the bottom edge but it seems to fit nicely. Same goes for the frame the seat attaches to.

PXL_20210212_182448932-600x450.jpg

Carl