Spitfire Mk24 - the best route?

Archimedes

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I was thinking the same thing Carl had experienced the hard way.  That would be something I would’ve seriously done had I known a replacement empennage was out there and available.  Ouch.  

So,so overdue for a decent Spitfire Mk-1, Mk-22/24 and Seafire 47.  

I agree Troy

What is amazing, considering:

a) the iconic nature of the Spitfire

b) the staggering amount of reference material (both paper and existing airframes)

c) the sales potential (which presumably is only eclipsed by the Bf109)

I am staggered that there is not at least definitive Mk1, Vc, and Mk22/24 examples out there in 1/32. 

Mind boggling that we have seen a beautifully done Gotha UWD in injection in 1/32 but no definitive Spitfires of three of the most significant marks in the same scale. :o

Best regards,

Paul

Difficult to believe that it is 13 years since I made these.

post-596-1176214678.jpg

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/14333-132-spitfire-mk212224-wing-master-patterns/

When they went for for production to the caster, the internal voids of the wings needed to be filled with resin prior to them being used as mould tool master patterns. Unfortunately, this caused them to deform due to the heat of the resin curing (this would not have occurred had a slow set resin been used to fill the internal areas of the wings, as opposed to a 'hot' fast set type resin) - I lost heart continuing with them after that, so they still remain as distorted wings somewhere.

Derek

http://soyuyo.main.jp/spit47/spit47e-1.html

Some of this will apply to the Mk 22 kit.Grey Matter figures has the correction set for this and Freight Dog did have a MK 47 conversion as well but l think it not available any more.

Hacker

PS correction looking back on a pass conversation with Freight Dog l was informed by them they sold the Mk 47 conversion  to Alley Cat 

Edited by Hacker

I mentioned Dennis above in one of my comments but it was Derek’s work on the wings I was recalling.  Yikes, 13 years ago.   Those wings were beautiful.   A real bummer on what happened during the resin pouring episode.  I never knew what happened.   Thanks for enlightening us old guard!   

Thanks All for the ongoing discussion and the pointer to the Grey Matters correction sets. I have the original Matchbox kit from when the molds were still quite crisp. As Tom Cleaver's MM review makes clear the decals are less than ideal (and about 30 years old in the kit I have so I suspect the majority of markings will get sprayed on my build.   Did anyone unearth any data on 80 Squadron Spitfires? The final Mk24 airframe was VN496 and the only thing I cannot pin down is which squadron code it had: W2-?

But thanks for all the help so far chaps.

Best regards

Paul

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

Thanks All for the ongoing discussion and the pointer to the Grey Matters correction sets. I have the original Matchbox kit from when the molds were still quite crisp. As Tom Cleaver's MM review makes clear the decals are less than ideal (and about 30 years old in the kit I have so I suspect the majority of markings will get sprayed on my build.   Did anyone unearth any data on 80 Squadron Spitfires? The final Mk24 airframe was VN496 and the only thing I cannot pin down is which squadron code it had: W2-?

But thanks for all the help so far chaps.

Best regards

Paul

Not even that it was Silver with 'TN' flown by Wing Commander Tony Neil. Somewhere I have a picture of it in a scrapyard on it's belly [ silver ]

Graham

1 hour ago, GrahamF said:

Not even that it was Silver with 'TN' flown by Wing Commander Tony Neil. Somewhere I have a picture of it in a scrapyard on it's belly [ silver ]

Graham

Ohhhhh....that is the first significant progress I have made on that question in a long time. Thanks for that Graham: interesting. Would love to see it if you do locate the photo - I found a Russian site with a profile with VN496 showing TN as you describe but  nothing that is photographic evidence ....yet.

Edited by Archimedes
Additional information

On 5/27/2020 at 9:05 PM, Ralph-D said:

I remeber MasterCasters did also parts for the type 24, who knows more?

Yes they do a replacement cockpit and wheels. I got the pit only a few weeks back from Hannants. I then found another Matchbox kit with GMF conversion on evilbay which I again picked up, so have 2 kits and plenty of am to go with it. Been looking for this type of discussion/builds to see how to tackle these 2.