Spitfire Mk24 - the best route?

Archimedes

I have built the Aerotech Spitfire prototype K5054. Now I want to bookend it with the final production Mk.24. The last airframes of the 54 built, according to Morgan and Shacklady were assigned to RAF 80 Squadron flying out of Kai Tak. So in the spirit of the Spitfire Mk1 thread what I am looking for are 2 things:

1. The best kit route to get as close as possible to an accurate Mk24? 

2. Which 80 squadron code sign was the last airframe assigned?  All had W2-(insert letter here) squadron letters on the sides.  

Thanks in advance of any help anyone can provide. 

Best regards,

Paul

I may stand to be corrected, but from what I recall, the wing planform was initially identical to the original Spitfire wing with the extended wingtips.  These were later cropped so that the wingspan was identical to the elliptical Spitfire wing, but with differently shaped wingtips.  Can't recall if the aerofoil would be the same or different, but it probably won't be noticeable on the model.  The structure underneath the skin was totally different though, so all panel lines would be different.

Jumpei Temma converted the Tamiya Mk XVI into a Seafire 47, which is probably not going to be less effort than trying to get the Matchbox kit (later released by REvell) to a modern standard.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/features/seafire4732jt_1.htm

Not sure what part of my body I'd donate for an up to these days standard Mk. 22 and or / Seafire 47. 

Both I consider the most asthetic Spitfire designs ever, but beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.

Lothar

13 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Iconicair produce both a corrected nose and tail, though the latter isn't listed on their site, these are for the Matchbox/Revell kit, I don't think these will fit on any of the other kits.

I know they did a nose set, as I used it on my own build. But I wasn't aware of the tail set - any more info about it, Andy?

Kev

The tail is from the Spiteful kit and is sold on request. Unfortunately I found that the fuselage profiles don't match up. This was after I had cut the tail off my Matchbox kit. I ended up gluing the Matchbox tail back on. 

IMG_20170315_224006-L.jpg

The MLG is spaced further apart on the 22/24 compared to earlier Spitfires so that would have to be accounted for if aiming for accuracy. The gear legs are longer too. 

I think that even with its shortcomings, the Matchbox kit can still be turned into a nice looking model.

IMG_20180917_223106-L.jpg

I've also looked into mating a Matchbox wing with the PCM XIV kit to create a 21 but the wing at the fuselage joint is far too wide. 

Hope that helps. 

Carl

8 hours ago, jenshb said:

I may stand to be corrected, but from what I recall, the wing planform was initially identical to the original Spitfire wing with the extended wingtips.  These were later cropped so that the wingspan was identical to the elliptical Spitfire wing, but with differently shaped wingtips.  Can't recall if the aerofoil would be the same or different, but it probably won't be noticeable on the model.  The structure underneath the skin was totally different though, so all panel lines would be different.

Jumpei Temma converted the Tamiya Mk XVI into a Seafire 47, which is probably not going to be less effort than trying to get the Matchbox kit (later released by REvell) to a modern standard.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/features/seafire4732jt_1.htm

Thanks for this information - I think you are correct on the wing issue: that is what the Bentley drawings appear to show. 

Best regards,
Paul

8 hours ago, jenshb said:

5 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Iconicair produce both a corrected nose and tail, though the latter isn't listed on their site, these are for the Matchbox/Revell kit, I don't think these will fit on any of the other kits.

Kagemusha - thanks! I'll look into an Iconicair nose...

I was thinking the same thing Carl had experienced the hard way.  That would be something I would’ve seriously done had I known a replacement empennage was out there and available.  Ouch.  

So,so overdue for a decent Spitfire Mk-1, Mk-22/24 and Seafire 47.  

5 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I've also looked into mating a Matchbox wing with the PCM XIV kit to create a 21 but the wing at the fuselage joint is far too wide. 

I tacked the Matchbox wing together with the intention of moulding the gull wing to use elsewhere.

But I found it's a similar kind of travesty as their Griffon nose. I still have a Warbirds Griffon nose, and a set of parts by Jen (?) so it may be returned to one day.

I have to say I'll most likely us a Mk46 (or a Mk47 without the chin intake) as representative for the last in the line. That pelican chin on the Mk47 offends me!

Edited by Chek