Tankless Hun

Considering the lack of tanks and the smoke rising in the background, I'm wondering if this is going to be a VERY short mission? Nah, probably just burning the latrine barrels.

Edited by eoyguy

14 hours ago, Finn said:

its has M-117Rs under the wings  and a photo pod on the c/l pylon. Also note the the bare screw heads on the fuselage panels plus the open panel above the flap.

Jari

That open panel on the fuselage is the high pressure bleed air dump. To over-simplify, under certain conditions (idling on the ground, low airspeed & high power setting, etc.), the compressor is pushing more air into the engine than it needs, so the excess gets dumped overboard. Otherwise, the airflow into the engine gets disrupted and you can get a compressor surge, where the compressed air "backfires" back through the intake. An F-100 pilot friend once told me that he had a compressor surge in flight that made such a big bang that it knocked his feet off the rudder pedals. 

These are some great photos! Thanks for posting them!

Ben 

Edited by Ben Brown

2 hours ago, AlbertD said:

A 100 mile combat radius? I guess they were pretty close to the action. I thought they tended to keep those ground assets further back?

The 510TFS was at Bien Hoa which was apparently a frequent target of rockets and mortars, so they may well have been loaded up heavy for that kind of mission. Maybe that smoke in the background isn't latrine barrels burning after all!