Revell 1/32 Me262 A1 / A2 (kit 03875 of 2019)

Grunticus

Thanks for sharing!  Especially the mishap with the engine nacelle.  I'm sure everyone has had those types of things happen every once in a while and your recovery should be an unnoticeable repair!  I'm glad my Trumpeter build could be of some use to you!

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks for sharing!  Especially the mishap with the engine nacelle.  I'm sure everyone has had those types of things happen every once in a while and your recovery should be an unnoticeable repair!  I'm glad my Trumpeter build could be of some use to you!

Welcome! I know we all do daft things sometimes. This was particularly daft, I admit :D 

Well, the way you tackled that kit with such eye for detail made me slow down and make it a point to take my time. I was rushing it. The Revell kit is really a joy for the most part and I should do it justice (within my skill level which is far off from your's and most on here, but I'm learning). You build somehow made me realise that.

I have started painting. I sanded off the original Xtracolor RLM 76, not because the color wasn't to my liking, but the coat was uneven and even flaked in select spots. Resprayed with Surfacer 1200, and then MRP RLM 76. My MRP collection is growing and will continue to do so, marvellous stuff.

6yv21yx.jpg?1

I also started detail-painting the left nacelle. I really like how it portrays how things were near the end of WWII, function before form: an enige in factory colours installed on an operational aircraft.

xe348IC.jpg?1

SAgoFsn.jpg?1

I have also started tracing the hard mottling for the tail in Silhouette Studio. I am still debating whether to positive or negative mask them. I am leaning towards positive (airbrush colours over the RLM 76).

I had a bit of fun today.

q8bj0Th.jpg?1

o67CDQu.jpg?1

Those MRP paints are a delight to work with. They spray like a dream, and cleanup is also less labor intensive.

Tomorrow will be spent on adding the slats, flaps, and landing gear. All in extended position as you may have guessed. I have thinned the RLM 76 for the fin and rudder with 40% white but I am debating if the contrast should be more visible. It IS visible in the right light, but for scale effect I might just lighten it further. Thanks for looking.

The finish on the fuselage looks a bit rough here and there because I man-handled the model way to much due to errors of my own doing. I think that in the end under gloss and then semi gloss it will look all right.

11 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Looks good from here.  Are you doing White 4?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark. Yes, it will be white 4. Today I restored the mottling on the fudelage sides to better match the three photos I found of that machine (The Revell painting guide is not accurate). Have been busy all evening creating masks to use instead of decals where possible. More pics coming tomorrow.

vr623PY.png?1

8OBLiVm.png?1

Edited by Grunticus

I was able to do some more work today. The tail is done, and the masks are cut. What brand of foil do you all use for this purpose? Any recommendations? The Oramask one I use now is just a tad on the thick side, and just a tad too tacky.

Anyway, some more photos.

I was quite thrilled when the masks came off, it looks awesome IRL. It's almost as if the fuselage below the stabilisers out of focus ;)

EiN02Uh.jpg?1o9g31h0.jpg

It's now officially a citizen:

n3JjTok.jpg?1

I was, and still am, unhappy about the cammo pattern transition on the side. This is where it is now at and I think I will leave it like this (maybe a very very light mist of RLM 82 over the demarcation line?). This was my first attempt ever on airbrushing German mottle cammo but I clearly still need to get the hang of it. Any pointers would be appreciated!

OarPmJF.jpg?1

More masking and painting markings tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

14 hours ago, fab said:

Hello

I love your jig!

A bargain!

Easy to adjust, no regret to wash it with paint, biodegrable...:D

Amities

Fab

You forgot to mention "adjustable" :D No you didn't...

96Yrcf4.jpg?1

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looks OK G. I might go along the demarcation with some 76 to break up the density / uniformity just a little.

Tail looks nice.

Thank you for the suggestion! I did this and it did do the overall appearance a lot of good. Much better indeed. Before spraying white I gave the markings a light coat of Surfacer 1200 to get a light an even base, worked just fine this way and a lot less white is needed (thinner coat).

PGkP9Qd.jpg?1

SFBpxDO.jpg?1

The foil is working a treat, but can't be burnished down into panel lines, it will come back up. No problem if you don't spray too wet.

Edited by Grunticus

I'm calling this one done. Unfortunately I wasn't able to preserve the panel lines very well during construction, and I suck at restoring them. Something I will give extra attention to in my next build, an He-162. New tools arrived with which I will do some practicing on some sheet. 

RFI here. Thanks for watching!

ScDWUAw.jpg

Edited by Grunticus
RFI link added

Looking good. I did the same gear leg shortening to my several Trumpeter '262 builds and will do the same to the Revell kit I just started. Regarding the gun hatch and fuselage assembly and fit. I found the kit plastic both soft and thin and lacked really positive joints and alignment, so also struggled with the gun doors (just left them closed) and the forward canopy section. The wing root was also a bit of  a chore. Really liked the cockpit details, though added the emergency canopy release lever and faked in a decal for the electrical panel labels (an odd lapse in the kit)