1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

Pulling up another seat John. Really looking forward to this one (I've been playing with the plastic and resin for a D-11 for some time).

I also have both Real Model D-11 and D-13 sets on order (yet to arrive) as well as many of the am you also have. 

7 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Fishing opportunities will always be given a certain priority! ;)  Finally broke quarantine and found a private pond to fish a couple of days ago...

Thanks Roger!  I was not aware of this D-13 so this is new information for me.  Do you know if there are available photos of D-9 W. Nr. 401381?  I have both the JaPo and Crandall Dora references.

John, yes, here is a photo of this plane (I believe that I even bought the original at eBay, but would have to check my collection first to be sure): 

1d837462d92f35c4423b17461606a127.jpg

Guest Vincent

Just a reminder :

The D13 cockpit is not identical to the D9, it is more of an hybrid between the D9 and the Ta152

11 minutes ago, Miloslav1956 said:

There is no D-13 in the photo, it is a D-9

https://mab.forumfree.it/?t=74934224

I'm not sure what photo you're referring to exactly, Miloslav, but if it's the one Roger posted (VintageEagle), he posted it in response to John's question:

Do you know if there are available photos of D-9 W. Nr. 401381?

So as you can see, there was no assertion that the photo represented a D-13.

Kev

Yes, that is correct... 401381 is a D-9, not D-13.... sorry for the confusion!  The link that Roger posted showed a photo of a D-13 with the Werknumber below the swastika.  It mentioned D-9 401381 as being built in the same factory as the D-13, having the Werknumber in the same position and similar rear fuselage camo pattern as the D-13 in the photo.  I did not have my references available at the time so I asked Roger if he knew if there were any photos available of D-9 401381.  It may have nothing to do with Yellow 10 but I thought it would be helpful to know what the scheme of another D-13 might look like.  And it turns out that JaPo 190D Part 2 has multiple photos of this aircraft.  Just something I'd like to consider before embarking on what promises to be an interesting painting process. 

13 hours ago, Kais said:

John,
did I miss the Tank getting over the finish line?

No Kais... you did not miss anything.  That project is temporarily on hold as I try to figure out how to replicate the small fasteners on the access panel on the wing bottom.  Something is in the works but I'll have to wait and see.

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Yrs and yes and one again YES !!! :m0152:

Thank you for the support Martin!  I appreciate it!

12 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Epic build going on here John.   You know I love all these updates.  Seriously.   

Just to mention.  The bass you proudly show us is considered a minnows in Wisconsin.  The Lake of the woods in Canada ( epic place) where my 83 year old dad drags me up to every other year is a fishing spot of epic proportions.  You need to try Walleye fishing.  A fish of fantastic taste.  Walleye is a fish of incredible taste. unbelievable taste brother.  .    

Dora 13!,,,,,,

Walleye!  I've never caught one but I'd love to some day.  When it comes to fishing,  I'll take whatever the body of water offers me!

Whether it's a lake...

IMG-5860.jpg

Or Ocean...

IMG-0756.jpg

North....

95561678-10218844200110240-8461348833140

Or South...

1292830-10201364948379871-1090925665-o.j

8 hours ago, Miloslav1956 said:

I made the RM set. It was created only because I found out that the Rutman set is not completely correct.
I used all the photos from the restoration of the yellow 10.
Therefore, the scoop has a different shape, which was the same as the Ta 152H. Also the top cover has the wrong shape, It gave a lot of work to achieve the right look according to the photos. It is necessary, according to the cover, to finish the bulge on the fuselage. The D-13 had a stronger and larger engine frame.

It's a wonderful set Miloslav!  I'll be re-creating the bulge much like you did on your wonderful build.

8 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

Pulling up another seat John. Really looking forward to this one (I've been playing with the plastic and resin for a D-11 for some time).

I also have both Real Model D-11 and D-13 sets on order (yet to arrive) as well as many of the am you also have. 

Thank you Wacky!  This should be a fun one!  And I'm lucky to have some great reference builds available.  That's always helpful!

8 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

John, yes, here is a photo of this plane (I believe that I even bought the original at eBay, but would have to check my collection first to be sure): 

Thanks Roger!  When I got home yesterday, I found that JaPo 190D Part II includes an analysis of 401381.

7 hours ago, Vincent said:

Just a reminder :

The D13 cockpit is not identical to the D9, it is more of an hybrid between the D9 and the Ta152

Thank you Vincent!  I'll have to do a little research.  But I'm not one who is going to get every little detail correct!  I'll try to be as accurate as possible but I also like to keep my builds moving.

Guest Vincent

Well, it's really different from the D9 pit. I'll see if i have photos that i can send to you.

Best way to go about it is to mix the kit cockpit parts and the PE set for the ZM Ta152 from RB

Edited by Vincent

50 minutes ago, Vincent said:

Well, it's really different from the D9 pit. I'll see if i have photos that i can send to you.

Best way to go about it is to mix the kit cockpit parts and the PE set for the ZM Ta152 from RB

Honestly, I was lazy and didn't do anything different to the pit.

Time to inspect a new aftermarket item.  This is the Aires Wheel Well set for the 190D.  Aires casts some of the most intricate resin bits that I've run across and this one is no exception.  The wiring detail is almost TOO fine.
IMG-8065.jpg

Since the Hasegawa wheel wells are separate inserts, it should be a plug-n-play replacement and there shouldn't be any messy removals to deal with besides removing some hefty casting bases.  Note that the Hasegawa wheel wells has almost all of the details as the Aires parts but they are not as finely rendered.  So the deficiency is not one of omission but execution, which may be relevant.
IMG-8066.jpg

The kit wheel well insert is integral to a spar that helps maintain the correct spacing between the upper and lower wing parts.  Grafting the spar into place with the Aires wheel well parts should not be an issue.
IMG-8067.jpg

When I place one of the Aires wheel wells into place, I start to notice some issues.  With the skinny end of the Aires part butted up directly against the landing gear base, the holes for the wing guns do not line up correctly.  And the wide end of the part doesn't reach the end of the wing part like the kit piece does.  As if the Aires part is undersized.
IMG-8068.jpg
IMG-8069.jpg

The three major components of the Aires set fit positively with one another so I temporarily glued them together using CA glue.
IMG-8073.jpg

And then took measurements using a Micrometer.
IMG-8074.jpg
IMG-8075.jpg

Centering the Aires wheel well onto the wing bottom reveals the gap caused by the undersized wheel well, which is actually not a huge issue in my book.  I'm more worried about the alignment of the wing gun holes.
IMG-8076.jpg

The Aires wheel well parts are definitely undersized.  I COULD get them to work, if I wanted to.  But I'm thinking that the enhancement in detail is not worth the effort.  I also have this...
IMG-8081.jpg

which could be used to spice up the Hasegawa wheel well a little.  I'll think about it.

The first step to establish the fuselage bulge has been taken.  Instead of randomly slathering some putty, I want to use sheet styrene as a form to help establish some consistency.
IMG-8082.jpg
IMG-8086.jpg
IMG-8085.jpg

Really nice approach to the battle of the bulge.

I’m also still smiling on that Bass video.  Fishing with my 83 year old Dad and my younger brother are some of the best memories in life.  I had a few Muskie come up to snag a quick meal of what ever I was reeling in and they simply took my breathe away coming up with teeth glaring and mouth wide open.  They would see me smiling and quickly turn away and leave me smiling like an idiot in the middle of an awesome Canadian lake with only to people I’m the boat as my witness.  Lol

Ok sorry, Dora 13!    Lol.  

Thanks Damian!  I feel more comfortable establishing a physical baseline for the sculpting.

15 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Really nice approach to the battle of the bulge.

I’m also still smiling on that Bass video.  Fishing with my 83 year old Dad and my younger brother are some of the best memories in life.  I had a few Muskie come up to snag a quick meal of what ever I was reeling in and they simply took my breathe away coming up with teeth glaring and mouth wide open.  They would see me smiling and quickly turn away and leave me smiling like an idiot in the middle of an awesome Canadian lake with only to people I’m the boat as my witness.  Lol

Ok sorry, Dora 13!    Lol.  

I call those "hitchhikers"!  When I was in Alaska, we were catching huge lingcod that were way bigger than the slot limit.  As I was reeling in a smaller one, I could feel it suddenly get heavier and sure enough, there was big ole lingcod trying to eat the smaller one.  It was funny because the captain thought the smaller one was within the slot limit and started hitting the bigger fish with a net to make him let go.

IMG-7546r.jpg

Additional forms to establish the base of the bulges have been added.
IMG-8091.jpg
IMG-8092.jpg
IMG-8090.jpg

After this dries, I'll start sculpting with Milliput.